Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    First you need a core of dedicated social players. Then you need to add success and recruit players who also want to achieve more in game. Then you need to run the guild in a fair way, where people are treated fairly and eventually are like a family. Don't let anyone start drama, don't steal loot from anyone, and keep your recruits in line with rules. Make a community that when other players see your guild they think "man, I want to join that guild"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaelorian View Post
    Yeah I can imagine you or anyone else saying that. I would have stepped in and say the same. So I don't take offense or nothing.
    But if you had experienced what me and my guild experienced with the girls that we recruited, you'd say the same. Though note that ultimately we did find a few girls that were actually great. Great personality, great skills and no drama. Took me 7 years to find 2 that stayed and were that great of the 4 in total that were great.
    Every guild I've played in, and managed, has had girls - the overwhelming majority of them didn't create fuss or drama, were good players that were fun to play with, and those that caused trouble were assholes; being as asshole is gender-agnostic.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aviemore View Post
    Every guild I've played in, and managed, has had girls - the overwhelming majority of them didn't create fuss or drama, were good players that were fun to play with, and those that caused trouble were assholes; being as asshole is gender-agnostic.
    Exactly.

Obviously girls are capable of causing drama, because they happen to be people. Guys are just as capable of causing drama, because they also happen to be people. Gender doesn't even come into it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Neps View Post
    Blatant sexism, that's definitely a recipe for a good guild right there bruh.
    Precisely.

It's a neon light flashing with the words:

DON'T JOIN THIS SHITSHOW.

Amusingly, it's the same nonsense as the "mature content" guilds that, really, only try to out-vulgar one another with how offensive they can be when describing female genitalia; that same genitalia that they'll never see in real life.

Exactly.

Obviously girls are capable of causing drama, because they happen to be people. Guys are just as capable of causing drama, because they also happen to be people. Gender doesn't even come into it.
    I agree 100%.

But my experience over the years has told me otherwise. And you know most of the hardcore guilds I experienced had almost 0 girls in it.
    If the guild was far more social and lower ranked... it had an abundance of girls.

I think that is 100% related to my experience. And no where did I say girls couldn't play.

Deleted
    Make sure it's fun during the raid.

I'm not sure what's worse.

Someone suggesting that raiding guilds shouldn't recruit girls, or someone agreeing with it.
    -snip-
    He didn't say that every girl is bad. As you see, he even wrote that he had 2 girls in their main raiding group, which is still good I think.
    I completely agree with him, most of the girls I played with were only doing that "for fun", though we were trying to progress, like you know "collecting pets/toys/mounts etc." and then when item dropped she was like "oooohhhh, that's a lovely head for me <3" and when she didn't get it she slacked for the rest of the raid. And usually girls are the ones who don't take criticizing very well, which can cause problems in raiding. There's a difference between "most" and "EVERYONE".

And yeah, I know that there are also "boys" who don't know how to play etc.

Exactly.

Uhm... No, girls are the players which mostly cause dramas in the guilds.

Just in case - we have 1 girl who is good player and finished 13/13 mythic, but most of girls in my guild are only doing heroic.
    Last edited by Eazy; 2016-04-26 at 01:14 PM.

Good people. If you focus on having quality people- you will have a quality guild and you will progress (even if it might be slower at first). If you start out trying too hard to have a progression guild- you tend to attract the guild hoppers that just guild hop from one progression guild to the next, trying to get a little further ahead. I would recommend talking to applicants in voice chat to feel them out.

I am in a long running guild (prob close to 10 years). I stay because the base of the guild is my friends and they are good quality people. We don't always lead the progression charts, but we always have a good time.

Exactly.

I just kick any drama queen/king. Drama is unnecessary unless its hilarious.

Again please don't come to me and say I discriminate - we did have girls in the end and those worked out fine. But of those 4 we had at the end 60 girls had come and gone over the years usually not even passing the trial. So you can imagine that eventually you start to see a pattern. Was it unfair? I dunno, once we started saying no, we had a wonderful time. After a while we tried girls again we've had ups and downs, usually downs but quickly enough we got those 4 (ending with 2) that we really liked.

Those were down to earth no weird issues or paranoia.

Since I quit my guild (as GM and moved elsewhere) I joined a non hardcore guild with lots of women in it. Had a wonderful time again.

Again please don't come to me and say I discriminate - we did have girls in the end and those worked out fine. But of those 4 we had at the end 60 girls had come and gone over the years usually not even passing the trial. So you can imagine that eventually you start to see a pattern. Was it unfair? I dunno, once we started saying no, we had a wonderful time. After a while we tried girls again we've had ups and downs, usually downs but quickly enough we got those 4 (ending with 2) that we really liked.

Since I quit my guild (as GM and moved elsewhere) I joined a non hardcore guild with lots of women in it. Had a wonderful time again.
    Those who say you discriminate are just drama queens themselves LUL

Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    He didn't say that every girl is bad. As you see, he even wrote that he had 2 girls in their main raiding group, which is still good I think.
    I completely agree with him, most of the girls I played with were only doing that "for fun", though we were trying to progress, like you know "collecting pets/toys/mounts etc." and then when item dropped she was like "oooohhhh, that's a lovely head for me <3" and when she didn't get it she slacked for the rest of the raid. And usually girls are the ones who don't take criticizing very well, which can cause problems in raiding. There's a difference between "most" and "EVERYONE".

And yeah, I know that there are also "boys" who don't know how to play etc.

Uhm... No, girls are the players which mostly cause dramas in the guilds.

Just in case - we have 1 girl who is good player and finished 13/13 mythic, but most of girls in my guild are only doing heroic.
    geezus so much this! You get it!

10+ Year Old Account
    And usually girls are the ones who don't take criticizing very well, which can cause problems in raiding.
    I experience the opposite.

Girls tend to take criticism much better, because they're not involved in the egotistic male requirement to lock horns.

Here's how it works:

1) A guild puts out what it's looking for in a raider.
    2) A girl applies, and it looks like she fits the criteria.
    3) She's trialled, like everyone else, but calls off a couple of raids because she's collecting pets.
    4) She fails the trial, and is asked to leave.

That's how you manage it. Unfortunately, what I've experienced in the past is this:

2) A lad applies, and it looks like he fits the criteria.
    3) He's trialled, like everyone else, but calls off a couple of raids because he's drunk as fuck.
    4) The leadership have a laugh, because that's what blokes do.
    5) A girl, who recently passed her trial fairly, asks why there's a different set of rules for the new recruit.

OMFG GURL DRAMA, WOT U ON PERIOD OR SUMMAT?

You set out what you want, you recruit and trial those who apply, and you invite those who meet the expected standard. It's as simple as that. Blaming a girl for being hit on by some creep is utterly deluded, and an absolutely shameful indictment of what this community has become.

Here's how it works:

3) She's trialled, like everyone else, but calls off a couple of raids because she's collecting pets.

That's how you manage it. Unfortunately, what I've experienced in the past is this.

3) He's trialled, like everyone else, but calls off a couple of raids because he's drunk as fuck.
    5) A girl, who recently passed her trial fairly, asks why there's a different set of rules for the new recruit.
    OP asked for a good guild rules, not history of some idiots called "leadership" of some no-name sexists guild.
    You set out what you want, you recruit and trial those who apply, and you invite those who meet the expected standard. It's as simple as that. Blaming a girl for being hit on by some creep is utterly deluded, and an absolutely shameful indictment of what this community has become.

Anyway, I don't really care. She's not forced to raid with them, she can find a good guild if she's that experienced player.
    Not saying that's fair, but she can leave them...

As I said - most of the girls are causing dramas and that's the problem if you want a girl who's raiding. I'm not saying that EVERYONE of them sucks. I'm not even saying that every guy is pro raider. I need no further explanations from you, I know what I'm talking about and I understand you.
    Last edited by Eazy; 2016-04-26 at 01:28 PM.

Honestly, it's the right people. It doesn't matter what loot system you use, how the raids are led, etc. If you have the right people, all looking in the same direction, focused on getting good results and taking feedback, researching, etc. that's all you need.

The hardest part obviously is how do you identify those people and get them into the guild, plus kick people out who don't align with that. What if they've been with the guild for years, but can't get you from A to B? What's more important? That's the real challenge that most guilds run into IMO. It's just like life, there's only really 20% of people who you would want to raid with; the other 80% are just going to hold you back. They aren't bad people, they just can't get there.

I experience the opposite.

Girls tend to take criticism much better, because they're not involved in the egotistic male requirement to lock horns.

Here's how it works:

That's how you manage it. Unfortunately, what I've experienced in the past is this:

OMFG GURL DRAMA, WOT U ON PERIOD OR SUMMAT?

Hmmm I understand where you are coming from. And I did laugh at your example of the drunk guy. But I would have kicked that idiot aswell. You want to raid hardcore? You sign up and be on time. No excuses other then being in the hospital or being in jail or something. You don't apply to a guild to raid hardcore and then just do whatever.

And that is the mindset that is already "rare" in men. But even more rare in girls. Because girls generally speaking and this might not be you, are more into WoW for the social aspect. They want to have fun and collect stuff. And I don't blame them. Just do it outside of my guild please. Please save everyone's time to not apply.

That said, my guild was heavily on the social side IF you had the above mentioned mindset. We had loads and loads of guildmeetings in various countries. So it is not that my guild wasn't a social place. The 4 girls I talked about were also a part of those. It was awesome.
    Last edited by Vaelorian; 2016-04-26 at 01:27 PM.

Deleted

Obviously some people still would say you discriminate becasue you only have 2 women in your guild. It's the women-quota. You either put women into 30% of your raidspots or those spots stay unoccupied.

As I said - most of the girls are causing dramas and that's the problem if you want a girl who's raiding. I'm not saying that EVERYONE of them sucks. I'm not even saying that every guy is pro raider. I need no further explanations from you, I know what I'm talking about.
    They don't, they want a raider, no gender required.
    Last edited by mmocdca0ffe102; 2016-04-26 at 01:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I need no further explanations from you, I know what I'm talking about.
    Thanks for the signature.

And that is the mindset that is already "rare" in men. But even more rare in girls. Because girls generally speaking and this might not be you, are more into WoW for the social aspect. They want to have fun and collect stuff. And I don't blame them. Just do it outside of my guild please. Please save everyone's time to not apply.
    Or reject their application because they're not what you're looking for in a player.

That's substantially better than rejecting them because they're not what you're looking for in a gender.

Quote Originally Posted by Chitika View Post
    Obviously some people still would say you discriminate becasue you only have 2 women in your guild. It's the women-quota. You either put women into 30% of your raidspots or those spots stay unoccupied.

They don't, they want a raider, no gender required.
    Haha yeah I mean look at all those idiotic quotums people have for "women in higher offices". I mean if woman A was better then man B, I would certainly choose woman A for the job. But if man B was better I would choose man B.

Same as in WoW basically. And if people make drama regardless of sex, I will kick them.

A good, solid, reliable group of core raiders for starters. You can build on that and recruit all you want, but you need that small core group of people can depend on to always be there.

Aside from that, good officers and a loot system that isn't stressful to manage.

It's also good to have some kind of guild forums or other way for the guild members to communicate with each other outside of WoW. My old guild used forums, and while it was a bit overkill in our case, we had a layout of sub forums similar to what MMO-C has (class-specific forums, boss strategy discussion forum, general offtopic bullshit forum, etc). We also had a recruitment forum that was the only one you could see without being granted access to the others (and we had a pretty good sized "about us" stickied on that forum so new recruits knew up front exactly what to expect) and an officer-only forum for the officers. We actually used these forums. We'd openly discuss what we were doing wrong on those boss encounters we were stuck on, criticize each other for mistakes made (in a nice way, that is), and so on. Sometimes raiders would see something that the officers/raid leaders didn't catch, and we encouraged that kind of discussion.
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2016-04-26 at 01:34 PM.