Page 48 of 58 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ckooken View Post
    What do you have to do in current live version of WoW? It does technically have more content but 90% of it is obsolete. The first raid tier of WoD? Obsolete with Tanaan jungle, most achievements are obsolete as well and I have done a good percentage of them anyway. There are just as few relevant reputations in WoD, and then you have garrisons and shipyards. So it seems like there is just as much relevant content in Vanilla than WoD currently has. And honestly, I don't need to have the game tell me specifically what to do to have a decent time. There is a good 6 dungeons you can do at max level, and most of them being 3x larger than current WoD dungeons.

The reason why I would chose Vanilla or BC over the current version in terms of content, is because I find it more enjoyable and rewarding. Everything is just thrown at you left and right in the current game, there is no sense of satisfaction for me.
    I know, WoD is bad. It's still way more to actually do than in vanilla however. I mean, way more.

The fact that WoD has catch up mechanics is great though. If you came in late in vanilla, you didn't raid.
    No one wanted to do your silly attunements or obsolete raids after a year. You got left behind and you had no chance of actually see the end game content. Thats one of the main reasons they changed it because there was little reason for late commers to actually play at all.

Dungeons became just as obsolete in vanilla btw. You didn't need any tactics or CC when you did them geared, just like now.

Quote Originally Posted by Smauldy View Post
    Pristine realm doesn't interest me because I don't care for the new expansions and changes that have been made. I am interested in a Vanilla era server where you don't one shot every enemy you come across in the outside world.
    In Naxx gear I 1 shot almost everything in Vanilla.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    I know, WoD is bad. It's still way more to actually do than in vanilla however. I mean, way more.

The fact that WoD has catch up mechanics is great though. If you came in late in vanilla, you didn't raid.
    No one wanted to do your silly attunements or obsolete raids after a year. You got left behind and you had no chance of actually see the end game content. Thats one of the main reasons they changed it because there was little reason for late commers to actually play at all.

Dungeons became just as obsolete in vanilla btw. You didn't need any tactics or CC when you did them geared, just like now.
    Can't speak for all servers but on my server there were a lot of MC and BWL guilds during Naxx, there was a lot of guilds with new 60's doing raids. There was in Tbc to.
    I thought I did, but apparently I don't

If you die you die but if you don't die you still die.

Quote Originally Posted by tobindax View Post
    Let's not kid ourselves. Vanilla has little to do with it. The predominant reason those people play in there is because it's free.
    That's funny, I have an active sub but I enjoy playing the older versions more, like many other people I know. Its also funny that there are private WoD, MoP, Cata, Wotlk and TBC servers and the most popular are the vanilla-wotlk servers with the recent most popular one (nost) being a vanilla server. There's even a legion private server already, I'll let you guess how popular it is. The only people kidding themselves are people that believe its only becuase its free.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaelexi View Post
    In Naxx gear I 1 shot almost everything in Vanilla.
    People just tend to forget facts like these. There was still outgearing, people still learned the game. If you were one of those who struggled as much with your second character as you did with your first, choosing the wrong builds and going full idiot when pulling mobs, you're probably belonging to the crowd that the game got tuned for as the years went by in terms of leveling content...

If Blizzard wanted to, they could make leveling a hell of a lot more challenging than it ever was (optional ofc) when people were just bad and tuning was shite and the 1-60 content was meant to last as long as possible. But then I bet complaints would be of a different nature instead...

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd be up for a classic server if they gave me account-wide rewards for playing in it.

I'd love a pristine realm. The whole point of "classic" WoW to me was the feeling of being a part of a community, and a realm that forces communication just to group up is exactly that. I know forcing sounds hostile, but it really isn't. The feeling of accomplishment comes from effort, not from sight-seeing.
    Last edited by Thes; 2016-04-26 at 10:07 PM.

Not even remotely true.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post

Yeah I don't argue against the fact there is more to do in the game now, but how much of it is actually enjoyable and fun? For me there were more enjoyable things to do in Vanilla through Wrath. I don't have an issue with catch up mechanics, but I still really did enjoy attunements. They were a good way to provide a story for why you need to go into that specific raid, it wasn't a matter of just jumping in without a clue of why you are there. Some may have been a bit to longer, but they were enjoyable for the first time you did them. They probably should of been at least account-wide.

I however do not care for the current iteration of catch up mechanics, specifically LFR. I prefered the ICC 5-man catch up dungeons, but to say that nobody did the older content was not neccessarily true. People still did Kara late into BC, same on my server in Vanilla with guilds still doing UBRS late in Vanilla's lifecycle. Personally I was rather sad that nobody did Ulduar later in the expansion because those catch up mechanics had better gear than what Ulduar offered. In a way I personally think the way each patch makes the previous patch obsolete is bad for the game overall.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    You means "feedback" like these 40 pages of 800 people wanting 2000 different things? Or the feedback that is the thousand pages about the shutdown of that private server with 20 000 opinions?

Or you mean the feedback where they just go "Thanks, we take YOUR suggestions"?
    The ideal solution would be to make the current wow not suck. There still are legendary mistakes in the making right now however pristine realms or not... - keeping garrison shit for legion etc,.

"We explored options for developing classic servers and none could be executed without great difficulty. If we could push a button and all of this would be created, we would. However, there are tremendous operational challenges to integrating classic servers, not to mention the ongoing support of multiple live versions for every aspect of WoW."

"So what can we do to capture that nostalgia of when WoW first launched? Over the years we have talked about a “pristine realm”. In essence that would turn off all leveling acceleration including character transfers, heirloom gear, character boosts, Recruit-A-Friend bonuses, WoW Token, and access to cross realm zones, as well as group finder. We aren’t sure whether this version of a clean slate is something that would appeal to the community and it’s still an open topic of discussion. "

One, you guys didn't give a shit about privacy servers until Bobby Kotick and Chris Metzen were losing their money.
    Two, you never wanted to make private servers at all.

You're not fooling anyone who isn't a fanboy, Blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeromus View Post
    Not even remotely true.
    What was there to do in Vanilla? Leveling, run heroics, raid, pvp, level up professions I guess.....sit/jump around Ironforge. Granted each thing on there took hours to complete, but unless I'm forgetting something after so many years away from vanilla I just don't see it.

Quote Originally Posted by superfula View Post
    What was there to do in Vanilla? Leveling, run heroics, raid, pvp, level up professions I guess.....sit/jump around Ironforge. Granted each thing on there took hours to complete, but unless I'm forgetting something after so many years away from vanilla I just don't see it.
    All of those things, combined with the fact that there was progression in Vanilla, whereas there is not in retail. Everything was just more involved in vanilla, even simple things like leveling professions and leveling.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeromus View Post
    All of those things, combined with the fact that there was progression in Vanilla, whereas there is not in retail. Everything was just more involved in vanilla, even simple things like leveling professions and leveling.
    What kind of progression are you speaking of?

So you don't disagree with the fact that there are more things to do in WoD than Vanilla. You are simply saying that stuff in Vanilla just took so much longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Soccio View Post
    What?! That's totallyyyyyyyyy not trueee!11one! - Every private server player ever.
    What if you have a running subscription and still rather play on a private realm...

The pristine realms are not a moot point to the legacy crowd. I signed the petition for the legacy servers and I read through hundreds of the comments. Most of the people had 2 things in common: They wanted the content and they wanted the community. This is Blizzard's compromise to appeal the latter half.

I remember in vanilla WoW when Blizzard opened server transfers. I felt it literally destroyed the community on Ysera-US. On Ysera there was a "council" of Guild Leaders and we were working together to allow multiple people to complete the scepter quest. In the middle of the night on a Tuesday, before server maintenance, someone who transferred to the server rang the gong. They were in a Guild who couldn't even do the BWL portion of the quest. In addition to ruining the AQ event, when Midwinter transferred to the server, everyone I played with either joined Midwinter or transferred off. Before long, I was playing hopscotch from one server to another just to keep up with my friends and the flavor of the month Guild we joined together.

Some people really need to put down their pink tinted glasses. Vanilla was fun - AT THE TIME - and thé greatest MMO experience - AT THE TIME.
    We're 12 years past that. There are so many things that have been changed for the better.
    The Vanilla servers would only lead to more animosity in the community as we get split up.
    Besides the fact that people who mention 'progression and leveling experience' are missing the point that a Vanilla server wouldn't have that feeling. All dungeons and raids would be there, and people have years of knowledge on the game. Downing Onyxia wouldn't be all that hard because everyone and their mom knows the tactic by heart now... hence the 'epic' feeling when you down her not being there.

I was there, I'm still here. I don't want to go back to what the game used to be in many aspects.

PS: lol at people mentioning doing heroics in vanilla 10/10

While there were players who played on Nost because it was free, the vast majority of players you came across were players who had left retail because it no longer suited them. And this often weren't cash sensitive players at all. Engineers, doctors, lawyers, economists all over the place. If anything, I would guess that median income was higher on nost than on retail, at least on par. So please stop with the bullshit "because it was free" argument. It isn't valid.
    Last edited by Jeniwyn; 2016-04-26 at 10:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorteh View Post
    Some people really need to put down their pink tinted glasses. Vanilla was fun - AT THE TIME - and thé greatest MMO experience - AT THE TIME.
    We're 12 years past that. There are so many things that have been changed for the better.
    The Vanilla servers would only lead to more animosity in the community as we get split up.
    Besides the fact that people who mention 'progression and leveling experience' are missing the point that a Vanilla server wouldn't have that feeling. All dungeons and raids would be there, and people have years of knowledge on the game. Downing Onyxia wouldn't be all that hard because everyone and their mom knows the tactic by heart now... hence the 'epic' feeling when you down her not being there.

I was there, I'm still here. I don't want to go back to what the game used to be in many aspects.

PS: lol at people mentioning doing heroics in vanilla 10/10
    These kind of personal opinion posts about what vanilla "was" needs to stop. A lot of us have been playing vanilla privs (I have since 2010) And I still find it to be 100 times better than the wow we have today. It's like: "Some people really need to realize that vanilla is better in all senses and that WoD is shit"

Different people prefer different things. No one would force the WoD/Legion players to play on a Legacy server.
    I thought I did, but apparently I don't

If you die you die but if you don't die you still die.

Quote Originally Posted by superfula View Post
    What kind of progression are you speaking of?

So you don't disagree with the fact that there are more things to do in WoD than Vanilla. You are simply saying that stuff in Vanilla just took so much longer.
    I suppose if you count minigames like pet battles and achievements, sure. To me that's not really organic content. And I certainly wouldn't take WoD's PvP over Vanilla's PvP. At least vanilla's PvP gear was potentially useful in PvE as well as PvP.

Progression is the process of getting a character to 60, then going through the level 60 dungeons, then going to MC to get geared for BWL, then going to BWL to get geared for AQ, etc. In retail, you largely just skip to whatever is current. More content might exist, but you skip it... So is it really relevant to mention?