10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Epuration View Post
    I assume you got full marks?
    Of course. I couldn't put the stress on other members of the group to have a lower GPA because of one person, even if I was willing to take it.

I was actually almost docked and called out because even though I had a tie, the top button was loose, though he let it slide after I apologized.

10+ Year Old Account
    Stray dogs E4 -- damn i wish i could see that fight.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zatheyll View Post
    Of course. I couldn't put the stress on other members of the group to have a lower GPA because of one person, even if I was willing to take it.

I was actually almost docked and called out because even though I had a tie, the top button was loose, though he let it slide after I apologized.
    Good, if someone knows what they need to do, fuck them if they fail to do it.

One thing that makes the business department at my school revered (among conservatives) is how strict it is, and their push to get people into 80k+ paying jobs directly after graduation. Which has made all of the professors in the Business Department different from normal. None of them come from an education background, or have gone through classes on teaching. Instead they've come from being CEOs of companies, financial advisors for Fortune 500 (or even Fortune 50) companies, and other things. All of them are required to run and operate at least one business while teaching, and many of them are also active lawyers. This one in particular was ex-FBI and runs 3 companies in various other states. That puts them in a much more business oriented mind than a professor oriented mind like you would find in other departments, so they're all really strict. (In another class, for every spelling mistake or contraction on a paper, it was -10%).
    Having people with actual experience in their fields can be a huge boon compared to professors which only have theoretical experience, that is if they can differentiate between an employee and a student. Sure, in business you need to be incredibly strict, especially when it comes to blue chip companies/Fortune 500 or 50 where it is and always has been survival of the fittest. But a student isn't someone on your payroll, a student should be allowed to make mistakes, albeit small ones, in order to learn from them and grow. I doubt that there is a single person that has never made a mistake in their careers, and mistakes can end up being valuable lessons depending on how you deal with, resolve and learn from them, which they should know as experienced businessmen

I do actually agree with the 'harsh' punishment on spelling mistakes on papers. With spellchecks,... nowadays there isn't really an excuse for them anymore. But what that one professor did comes pretty damn close to pitting students against each other. A more sensible punishment would have been to slightly decrease the grade cap for the whole group, as there still is some shared responsibility from the group, and double that grade cap reduction for the tie-less guy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Radio View Post
    Marika >= Misuzu > Shinoa > Loki > Sumire = Watashi = *almost any Zetsubou girl* > Ichiko = Momiji > Iroha = Lunar > all

I probably missed a few goddesses.
    only ones I don't recognize off the top of my head are sumire and lunar
    [CENTER]

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by crimson View Post
    A more sensible punishment would have been to slightly decrease the grade cap for the whole group, as there still is some shared responsibility from the group, and double that grade cap reduction for the tie-less guy.
    Zath already pointed out that they are expected to wear business casual on wednesday and formal on thursday, if he can't mange something so simple he shouldn't take his group down with him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Having people with actual experience in their fields can be a huge boon compared to professors which only have theoretical experience, that is if they can differentiate between an employee and a student. Sure, in business you need to be incredibly strict, especially when it comes to blue chip companies/Fortune 500 or 50 where it is and always has been survival of the fittest. But a student isn't someone on your payroll, a student should be allowed to make mistakes, albeit small ones, in order to learn from them and grow. I doubt that there is a single person that has never made a mistake in their careers, and mistakes can end up being valuable lessons depending on how you deal with, resolve and learn from them, which they should know as experienced businessmen

I do actually agree with the 'harsh' punishment on spelling mistakes on papers. With spellchecks,... nowadays there isn't really an excuse for them anymore. But what that one professor did comes pretty damn close to pitting students against each other. A more sensible punishment would have been to slightly decrease the grade cap for the whole group, as there still is some shared responsibility from the group, and double that grade cap reduction for the tie-less guy.
    Yeah, but they stress that the reason they're strict in school is so you make a mistake here, and only lose some points, rather than make that mistake later on and lose your job. It makes sense, but it's harsh for a gen ed freshman level class, and to also have the other members decide is what was rough.

Quote Originally Posted by Epuration View Post
    Zath already pointed out that they are expected to wear business casual on wednesday and formal on thursday, if he can't mange something so simple he shouldn't take his group down with him.
    Though he wasn't a Business student. Still though, the expectations were there, so it's rough.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also started the girl who ate a death god and finished chapter 7. It's a pretty fun light read

- - - Updated - - -

btw zath how much was that project worth class wise? I would hate to hear it's like 30% making it near impossible for the poor kid to pass :P
    [CENTER]

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Suicidal Panda View Post
    Also started the girl who ate a death god and finished chapter 7. It's a pretty fun light read

- - - Updated - - -

btw zath how much was that project worth class wise? I would hate to hear it's like 30% making it near impossible for the poor kid to pass :P
    10% of the overall class, so he loses a letter grade.

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay that isn't as murderous as the original post made it out to be, and is a "light slap" imo.
    [CENTER]

If it's only 10% of the overall class then it's not too bad, it should still be possible to pass the class having gotten a 0 for his presentation. I thought it was a presentation that either completely decided the grade of that class or a very large portion, at least 30 or 40% of it.

In that case I'd say it's purely personal responsibility, and he should have probably gotten a big cap decrease on his grade, or giving him the chance to make up for it by the time he has to do his part in the presentation, but if he couldn't give him a 0. But involving the whole group to decide his grade is taking things too far imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Suicidal Panda View Post
    only ones I don't recognize off the top of my head are sumire and lunar
    Sumire
    Lunar

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Radio View Post
    Ah I figured luna was seto no hanayome...haven't read sumire though
    [CENTER]

Figured I'd start it since you guys mentioned it and Seto no Hanayome is cracking me up.

10+ Year Old Account
    If it's only 10% of the overall class then it's not too bad, it should still be possible to pass the class having gotten a 0 for his presentation. I thought it was a presentation that either completely decided the grade of that class or a very large portion, at least 30 or 40% of it.

In that case I'd say it's purely personal responsibility, and he should have probably gotten a big cap decrease on his grade, or giving him the chance to make up for it by the time he has to do his part in the presentation, but if he couldn't give him a 0. But involving the whole group to decide his grade is taking things too far imo.
    Oh no, but the average in the class was already an 82%, so getting a C when you could get a B is rough. And a low C at that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    Figured I'd start it since you guys mentioned it and Seto no Hanayome is cracking me up.
    Yeah it's one of those "original" comedies (yes I know nothing is original now)
    [CENTER]

It's a tough call. I didn't want to shoulder the burden of having given someone an F, and was fine taking the 25% off, but it is about personal responsibility, since we told everyone in our group meetings to dress formal, which includes a tie for men.

Though it was a gen ed class, and not a higher level Business class (which I'm majoring in), so it feels a bit rough being a class that a lot of Freshmen are in.
    You should have given him the zero. Especially considering he was told to dress formally. Don't just throw him under the bus, back that thing up and run over him again.

Edit: Just read you did. Nvm. But you didn't want to. Bad Zath!

10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

The Cat Returns - 8/10

Pretty funny for a Ghibli film; the story appears to be a story written by the main protagonist of Whisper of the Heart. It's not one of Ghibli's best, but it is still worth the watch IMO.

Next up: The Secret World of Arriety (and then I'm out of Ghibli movies, what will I do?)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellravager View Post
    She's right.