Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Magnus View Post
    The GOP needs less Nixon and more Eisenhower.
    No kidding at least back in the day Republicans actually believed infrastructure and science. Even though the real reason were military in nature at least everyone benefited from it for the common good. Granted Eisenhower's administration did some bad things but they also did some great things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by akris15 View Post
    No kidding at least back in the day Republicans actually believed infrastructure and science. Even though the real reason were military in nature at least everyone benefited from it for the common good. Granted Eisenhower's administration did some bad things but they also did some great things.
    Hopefully with the Southern Strategy finally coming full circle, they'll see the error of their ways and come back to being a party that actually makes moderates and democrats alike think about who they'll vote for.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    This is the result of bedding with tea partiests and extremists. The GOP went right and alienated the moderates. Without the moderates, the GOP won't be winning a general presidential election any time soon. Of course, if anyone is a moderate, they get labeled "RINO" and chased out of the party, thus making the issue even worse.
    You summed it up perfectly. Without winning over moderates, the Republicans will never be able to win the presidency and will only be able to hold onto seats in deep red districts.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Magnus View Post
    Hopefully with the Southern Strategy finally coming full circle, they'll see the error of their ways and come back to being a party that actually makes moderates and democrats alike think about who they'll vote for.

Trump is winning the nomination by insulting every minority and women....so it looks like the southern strategy is as effective as it ever was.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    Trump is winning the nomination by insulting every minority and women....so it looks like the southern strategy is as effective as it ever was.
    It would be a mistake to think that is the only reason, he is tapping into the same resentment of the establishment that Sander's is. It has proven very effective, the insults is just how they differ in which slice of that electorate they get.

Deleted
    Does it matter though? I dislike GOP.. however I dislike the Dems way way more and would never vote for them. Of course Id prefer GOP getting their shit together but even though I dont like like them very much, theres no one else to vote for anyway -.- And I dont think Im alone, feeling this way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably laying somewhere frozen and cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by tankbug View Post
    The only way for GOP to survive is to denounce all the puritanical social conservatism, focus on the economical freedom for individuals (not corporatism), get some intelligent and "young" representatives, and try to rid themselves from the whole "me and my billionaire buddies will veto this proposition because it goes against my 1950s upbringing" type image.
    Considering your candidate choices are George W. Bush Jr. lite who joined up with Johnny the Rino expert to stop the Toupee of Doom, I don't think the Republican party will be getting a "fresh new image and outlook" anytime soon. Maybe after the party splinters in the post 2016 election season and the majority of current moderates under Republican affiliation either join a new party or put forward moderate congressmen and senators under the Republican party name.

Right now though? The three cartoon characters on the right are going up against a female version of Scrooge McDuck and one of the adults from a Charlie Brown comic. Getting down to brass tacks, this entire election is a joke. But if the Repiblican party ruptures and falls apart, atleast it will be a funny joke.
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.

Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post
    We need a third and forth party in this country !

Extremist party and anti-extremist
    I would love more than 2 parties (I would love not parties more), but with the current system that isn't likely to happen. Even if going into this election we end up with 4 parties (Each represented by Clinton, Sanders, Trump, and Cruz) in the end (rather that be in 5, 10, or 20 years) we will slowly migrate back to a 2 party system. What we need is to change the voting structure itself, there is too much "Im voting for A cause I dont want "B" to win, even though I prefer "C"" THat is why I'm highly for the Ranked-Voting System, and I can't really see any downsides with it that already come with the current system

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by battosi08 View Post
    I would love more than 2 parties (I would love not parties more), but with the current system that isn't likely to happen. Even if going into this election we end up with 4 parties (Each represented by Clinton, Sanders, Trump, and Cruz) in the end (rather that be in 5, 10, or 20 years) we will slowly migrate back to a 2 party system. What we need is to change the voting structure itself, there is too much "Im voting for A cause I dont want "B" to win, even though I prefer "C"" THat is why I'm highly for the Ranked-Voting System, and I can't really see any downsides with it that already come with the current system
    Public financing is the only real out.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    3) The warmongering. This hits both parties, but the GOP is considered the pro-military party. There are a lot of people who are tired of the endless spending on the military. The fearmongering about the middle east gets harder and harder to justify as 9/11 slips further and further into memory. In a few years people will be of voting age who weren't even alive when 9/11 happened and are likely to be far more anti-war and anti-interventionist than the people who lived through that day.
    Believe it or not, many of the military who actually pay attention to politics and such are probably really pissed at the GOP for something related to this.

When they took over both houses and got to propose a budget of their own design. One thing they did was lower military personnel's annual pay raise which lowers military pay increasingly into the future and used that money to further fund overseas operations. They literally screwed military people and veterans out of money to funnel it into keeping private contractors and our overseas operations going longer.

What made it worse was their justifications for doing so. According to what one of them said. They claimed that military pay was getting too high relative to the civilian sector pay and cutting this cut put them more in line. So they effectively used the fact that they had been screwing civilians out of their pay so much that then used that as an excuse to cut military pay in response to it.

I am betting that lost them a decent amount of support from the military personnel whom actually pay attention to politics.

Edit:

Also as far as the House going blue, as a resident of North Carolina, the Democrats would have to get about 80% of the popular vote just to get split. We are gerrymandered to such an extreme it would take something HUGE for the GOP to lose control of NC.
    Last edited by Fugus; 2016-04-29 at 07:59 PM.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    The GOP is in trouble...
    The Unites States of America is in trouble. The whole world is in trouble. This is nothing new.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    Also as far as the House going blue, as a resident of North Carolina, the Democrats would have to get about 80% of the popular vote just to get split. We are gerrymandered to such an extreme it would take something HUGE for the GOP to lose control of NC.
    Yup. And unless the Dems can start re-gaining control of state governments, the gerrymandering is likely to continue from 2020-2030.

It would have to be something incredibly huge to swing the house -- likely a combination of Clinton doing something to energize Dems even beyond 2008 Obama (not likely) or Trump to do something so awful that the GOP voters just sit this one out entirely (also not likely).

Yup. And unless the Dems can start re-gaining control of state governments, the gerrymandering is likely to continue from 2020-2030.

It would have to be something incredibly huge to swing the house -- likely a combination of Clinton doing something to energize Dems even beyond 2008 Obama (not likely) or Trump to do something so awful that the GOP voters just sit this one out entirely (also not likely).
    Pretty much, the GOP could elect the head of the KKK into office with Trump as his VP and North Carolina would still remain safe.

Complete BS that the winners get to draw the districts. They need to ban any party from drawing them.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Complete BS that the winners get to draw the districts. They need to ban any party from drawing them.
    I really don't understand how this hasn't been deemed unconstitutional or illegal or whatever.

But then again this is the same Supreme Court who gave us Citizens United and is looking like they will rule (even without Scalia) that pay-for-play politics is constitutionally protected. Makes me ill.

I really don't understand how this hasn't been deemed unconstitutional or illegal or whatever.

But then again this is the same Supreme Court who gave us Citizens United and is looking like they will rule (even without Scalia) that pay-for-play politics is constitutionally protected. Makes me ill.
    Yep, why I am hoping that Wolf-PAC thing takes off and goes over all their heads on a lot of this shit.

Won't fix the gerrymandering, but would help a lot for the money in politics.

Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    It doesn't always have to be a conspiracy. Maybe smarter people just tend to be more liberal.
    Smart people don't give their money to people who won't work.
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

Quote Originally Posted by Spiffums View Post
    Smart people know that isn't what this is about and that that is a red herring.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiffums View Post
    Yeah! Fuck people who don't work! Fuck em! America!!!!!!!!!
    Eat yo vegetables

Yep, why I am hoping that Wolf-PAC thing takes off and goes over all their heads on a lot of this shit.

Won't fix the gerrymandering, but would help a lot for the money in politics.
    What does fix gerrymandering are those non-partisan commissions that a few states have developed.

Quote Originally Posted by tankbug View Post
    On social issues, yes.
    But not in economics.
    You are describing exactly what libertarians are. You really need to check out Gary Johnson.