Quote Originally Posted by Hav0kk View Post
    why has blizzard lost over 8 million customers over 2 years,? it is because they simply do not like the game it has become, it is a disgrace to the world of warcraft frachise, it has been dictated by activision and all they care about is profits, but im sorry to say without customers this complany would not exist, i despise activision and there huge corperate visions, blizzard has allways been about caring for there customers and what they want but that is no longer the case, all activsion care about is profits and money, well fuck u you complete cunts i despise you and what you have done to this company all for the sake of money, this game will die, all because of blizzards greed and activations desire for money, they have made this game appeal to the masses and the last hope is vanilla servers, but activision will deny us that chance for money, fucking cunts. fuck activision for destorying much loved companys, like blizzard blizzard has succumed to blizzard for money and look at the state of this game now, they have forgotten what made them the company they are today despire the millions that loved them

the day blizzard release there company from huge corporations like activsion and remember where they came from, is the day of redemption.
    Jesus dude, do you even know what the punctuation keys on your keyboard are used for? First off, there is no proof to your claim that Blizzard "lost 8 million customers over 2 years," you're just going based off of some "projected subscription" numbers people who like to claim WoD is akin to the Holocaust in terms of gaming grievances. Moreover, you can't seem to wrap your head around the very real possibility the reason most people stop playing MMOs isn't because they're dissatisfied with the current state of the game, but rather that they simply moved on with their lives and can no longer commit to the massive time sink a MMO represents. Vanilla was infinitely more grind-oriented than its current iteration so I doubt it would appeal to people whose lives are now much busier, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    That's simply wrong, you shouldn't think that it's right thing to say, go and educate yourself on how private servers are made. It was an effort of huge amount of people all around the world (many of them were quite skilled programmers) and the work took more than 8 years. So yeah, neckbards, basement, easy, etc.
    It took them 4 years and it was originally a group of 16 devs that grew (when the private server was launched) into 30. Aside from normal living, working, school, etc that 4 year window between 16 devs (who certainly are skilled) could've done it alot faster if it was their full time job. As some people in the industry know, you always put more hours than you got paid for in developing games. Anyhow, most of the time was spend cross referencing blizzards numbers for damage and researching the old code they had access too. If you got 16 devs today with blizzards archived codes, legacy servers could happen in a few months. Yeah 4 years is a long time, but verifing numbers was the real time sink.
    Last edited by Bellabel; 2016-04-30 at 04:01 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellabel View Post
    It took them 4 years and it was originally a group of 16 devs that grew (when the private server was launched) into 30. Aside from normal living, working, school, etc that 4 year window between 16 devs (who certainly are skilled) could've done it alot faster if it was their full time job. As some people in the industry know, you always put more hours than you got paid for in developing games. Anyhow, most of the time was spend cross referencing blizzards numbers for damage and researching the old code they had access too. If you got 16 devs today with blizzards archived codes, legacy servers couldn't happen in a few months. Yeah 4 years is a long time, but most of the time spent was verifing their code was on point with blizzards a truely onerous on the time table.
    Sure m8 they made the server from a scratch and never used any emulators made by other huge group of people kappa
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Current game is way better than vanilla was.
    Stop yourself.

Deleted
    It took them 4 years and it was originally a group of 16 devs that grew (when the private server was launched) into 30. Aside from normal living, working, school, etc that 4 year window between 16 devs (who certainly are skilled) could've done it alot faster if it was their full time job. As some people in the industry know, you always put more hours than you got paid for in developing games. Anyhow, most of the time was spend cross referencing blizzards numbers for damage and researching the old code they had access too. If you got 16 devs today with blizzards archived codes, legacy servers couldn't happen in a few months. Yeah 4 years is a long time, but most of the time spent was verifing their code was on point with blizzards a truely onerous on the time table.

Disputing legacy servers is like disputing tradition, you would never dispute the bagpipes and all they stand for in the sake of corporate visions

dispute the bagpipes and you dispute Scotland, dispute legacy servers and you dispute millions of nostalgic customers. its the same fucking thing.

Last edited by mmoca138a41cd8; 2016-04-30 at 03:55 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Disputing legacy servers is like disputing tradition, you would never dispute the bagpipes and all they stand for in the sake of corporate visions

dispute the bagpipes and you dispite scotland, dispute legacy servers and you dispute millions of nostalgic customers. its the same fucking thing.

you know somones serious when they start linking bagpipping videos.... :P

you are the people the nost crowd hate they defend this disgusting game until the end but fail to see the reasons why so many people joined me against this pathetic excuse of a game, its fine with me if you continue to defend blizzard and the path they continue to go down, but you fail to see the true argument, the argument that this game is no longer an mmo, you align yourself with blizzard as if its a god given right to agree with every word they say, but you fail to see the truth of the matter, you fail to see the fact that vanilla servers would revive this game and bring long lost players , long lost streamers, and long lost memorys to this game, that is why i cannot, and will never accept this pathetic community on this forum
    This is very delusional. Please re-read and get back to me. I didn't show any alignment to anyone, I just offered a word of caution so in case it doesn't pan out you aren't heart broken. I've even said I hope things work out for pro Legacy and nothing is harmed by it, whether that is retail or someone's reputation.

Sure m8 they made the server from a scratch and never used any emulators made by other huge group of people kappa
    I never said that, they indeed did use a standard mangos kits. However mangos is far from Blizz like. Its a decent template but you still need quite a bit of effort to make it Blizz like. I doubt I need to tell you how onerous that task is,especially for part timers/hobbyist with a skelton crew. But we're getting off on tangents here, your original post was that if it took X years for a bunch of skilled people to do the server it would take blizzard a long time too, which I argue thats not the case. A few months at the most with Blizzards archived code would do with less people than Nostalrius had.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Mark Kern's meeting with Blizzard is little more than PR stunt designed to save face. The guy is constantly thumping his cause on Twitter and other mediums and inciting his supporters to brigade anybody who doesn't agree with his viewpoint. (Not to mention the guy's a complete whackjob. Read about his departure from Red 5 and the ridiculous $3 million bus the guy commissioned.) If nothing else, I think Blizzard said yes simply so he'd shut the fuck up. It certainly isn't a sign of progression with the movement.
    that was my take on the kern meeting too. if only a small fraction of the red5 stories are true (and the music video work and bus DO exist), the guy is the last person you would want involved in a project. They just want to get him quiet or co-opted.

The line about talking to nost. people is a bit odder, but may well be the same image-management/damage control approach. If it was just them and not kern getting meetings I would be a bit more optimistic, but it isn't hard to think that the nost meeting in irvine may be for appearance more than anything else.

the only reasons to talk to nost folks are

1) pr image and try to co-opt them into endorsing something, somehow, blizzard has planned. buy them off basically, get them to endorse, sort-of, the blizzard wall of no. I think just looking proactive is the major motive of blizzard in this and particularly the kern meeting.
    2) I cannot think of anything else blizzard might want to do that they need the nost folks for. legacy server license deal? are these guys able to actually run a business? is this like hiring a farmer to run your ag. co-op store, rather than hiring people who know how to run stores?

If blizzard wanted to license classic out somehow, they might want to get the nost folks on board as the public face but it would be run, business-wise, by someone else completely.

Just my thoughts.
    Last edited by Deficineiron; 2016-04-30 at 04:07 AM.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

Moreover, you can't seem to wrap your head around the very real possibility the reason most people stop playing MMOs isn't because they're dissatisfied with the current state of the game
    Correct me if im wrong please, but hasnt Blizzard stated in the past that the most given answer upon cancelling a subscription was that the game or their class has changed in a way they dont like? remembering around 70%, but i could be completly wrong. (the box you can fill in after you cancel your subscription)
    Last edited by Reapocalypse; 2016-04-30 at 04:06 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reapocalypse View Post
    Correct me if im wrong please, but hasnt Blizzard stated in the past that the most given answer upon cancelling a subscription was that the game or their class has changed in a way they dont like? remembering around 70%, but i could be completly wrong. (the box you can fill in after you cancel your subscription)
    LFR released person X quits, ticks "i don't like that the game or my class has changed"
    Mything released person Y quits, ticks "i don't like that the game or my class has changed"
    Fire cat staff got looted by a hunter raid leader, player Z (being a cat druid) quite, ticks "i don't like that the game or my class has changed"

Game gets changed a lot, and people quit this game a lot. They often get back in a year or so
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

10+ Year Old Account
    ... this thread has clearly evidenced players in favor of them can't even decide which version of Legacy they want to play. (Just that they want them, lol.)
    Again, sounds exactly like retail. Nobody agrees what they want to play.
    Some want flying, some don't.
    Some want LFR/LFG, some don't.
    Some want four raid difficulties, some want one.
    Some want easy 5-man dungeons, some want difficult.
    Etc...

If Blizzard plays this right, and requires an active retail sub to play vanilla, then everyone gets the same new content when a new xpac is released. You just decided to play it or not.

If they find the vanilla server is popular, and brings back subs, they would probably look at releasing a BC server next.
    Who knows. But don't try to solve a problem, that isn't a problem yet.
    Push it to the limit

#NoCollusion
    "The Special Counsel did not find that the Trump campaign, or anyone associated with it, conspired or coordinated with the Russian government in these efforts, despite multiple. offers from Russian-affiliated individuals to assist the Trump campaign."

Quote Originally Posted by DeleteMyAccountMMOCSUX View Post
    Again, sounds exactly like retail. Nobody agrees what they want to play.
    Some want flying, some don't.
    Some want LFR/LFG, some don't.
    Some want four raid difficulties, some want one.
    Some want easy 5-man dungeons, some want difficult.
    Etc...

If Blizzard plays this right, and requires an active retail sub to play vanilla, then everyone gets the same new content when a new xpac is released. You just decided to play it or not.

If they find the vanilla server is popular, and brings back subs, they would probably look at releasing a BC server next.
    Who knows. But don't try to solve a problem, that isn't a problem yet.
    Spot on man, the legacy server movement isn't about releasing just 1 expac or just a vanilla game. Its about releasing the entire game again. I don't see why that is so hard to comprehend.

Deleted
    the day blizzard release there company from huge corporations like activsion and remember where they came from, is the day of redemption.
    You seriously need to educate yourself about Blizzard's ownership structure. They've always been owned by a huge corporations. The last time they were indipendent was in 1994. All the "glory days" were under Vivendi megacorp.

You're uneducated, toxic, delusional and spouting pretentious crap. Stop it.

Current game is way better than vanilla was.
    Thanks, I needed a good laugh.

Spot on man, the legacy server movement isn't about releasing just 1 expac or just a vanilla game. Its about releasing the entire game again. I don't see why that is so hard to comprehend.
    Kind of why I wouldn't touch it. Just my opinion and 2 cents, but even since playing just from WotLK to today, I've got so much time invested and stuff done, I don't want to go back and do it all again. In a game that's still going, I hate the thought of going back to do it all again just to be where I'm at now. Maybe once WoW ends I'd be more down for the Legacy thing to happen, but I can understand that some people are already at the point where they feel the game is over

10+ Year Old Account
    They wouldn't be meeting with Kern and the Nost team if it were just lip service. No matter how you want to spin it. Something is going down and hopefully it's more than just a "pristine realm".
    Stains on the carpet and stains on the memory
    Songs about happiness murmured in dreams
    When we both of us knew how the end always is...

Quote Originally Posted by Perkunas View Post
    They wouldn't be meeting with Kern and the Nost team if it were just lip service. No matter how you want to spin it. Something is going down and hopefully it's more than just a "pristine realm".
    there's absolutely no scenario where they bring in the nost team and mark kern to talk about pristine servers. They have nothing to do with what nost or kern are trying to accomplish. They can create it all by themselves, they don't need any help from nost or kern to delete features and change settings from their live game.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Do you think man will ever walk on the sun? -Ali G

Quote Originally Posted by Chemii View Post
    The point is that the interest in the servers is fleeting.

Players want to play vanilla because they weren't there the first time, that's fine and it may well be a fun experience for a short time but in the end the issues will come to the surface and players will expect them to be fixed.

I think the issues players have with live, or more what they enjoy about vanilla is better remedied by fixing live, than pining after an old game they were never part of in the first place.
    That's just not true. Many players have played it previously (myself included) and wish to enjoy the older game again.

Most reasonable people accept that Retail WoW has change TOO SIGNIFICANTLY for any meaningful changes to occur to provide the gameplay experience pro-legacy players want. This is not to say the changes in Retail WoW are all bad. Some have been very good while others not so much.

You personal opinion is noted, though evidence of the community playing Nost. indicates that the 'fun experience' you claim to last a short time is an argument proved wrong. Nost. had numerous issues and bugs, and yet was embraced and loved by a significant group of players.

What I believe a large portion of anti-legacy views miss is that the gameplay of Retail WoW is significantly more engaging and immersive than Retail WoW. Some players actively choose NOT to play on Vanilla servers because of the fear of addiction. They hold no such fear of Retail WoW.