Poll: How do you feel about "Hidden" Artifact abilities?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    It's not like they'll actually be hidden. We'll figure out every ability in the first day. The sole impact will be that they aren't documented in-game, so people that don't read forums or theorycraft will be confused.

Not a big deal, but I'm against it.
    Confusion is only a bad thing if it leads to frustration. Instead, those folks will just discover a little bonus they werent expecting.

That's true. If they're all positive and don't change gameplay like this one, not a big deal at all.

Herald of the Titans Chain Chungus's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I like it, but am tired of them hiding spells from us in our spellbooks. I don't need my hand held and have papa Blizz decide what information is relevant to me. WoD's spellbook pruning still pisses me off to this day. I shouldn't have to go to WoWhead to see all of those hidden abilities.

Give us an advanced spellbook option in the interface options already.

I wonder if they will include "hints" of these abilities in the lorebook for each one we unlock. That could be cool. So like we wouldn't have it exactly spelled out for us in the spellbook/artifact tree... but by delving into the artifact lore we'll learn more about it.

The more I think about that, the more I like it.

Wowhead post about this...Looks like the artifacts have one cosmetic ability and one utility ability.

Some utility:

Balance Druid: Ancient and powerful magic has affected this creature. Only a powerful Druid wielding the Scythe of Elune can dispel the effect.

Feral Druid: The Fangs of Ashamane have fed on the blood of beasts, providing a 3% movement speed increase. The rush will end upon entering combat.

Hunter: When you are below 40% health, a massive eagle comes to your aid for 10 sec. This can only occur once every 3 min.

MM Hunter: Thas'dorah creates an aura of fast moving wind around its owner, gradually increasing movement speed of any party members within 8 yards.

Arcane Mage: Aluneth has recently absorbed power from a nearby source of magical energy. Arcane damage increased by 2% within the Broken Isles.

Windwalker Monk: The gust of wind from your landing hits nearby enemies and knocks them back.

Holy Paladin: The Light empowers you, increasing your damage to Undead by 100%.

Discipline Priest: Light's Wrath is getting hot. Your next Light's Wrath will do massive damage.

Fury Warrior: Odyn has granted you a second chance to defeat that which has bested you in combat. Do this within 8 sec and Odyn will grant you your life and restore 50% of your health.

Some cosmetic:

Arcane mage recieve some whispers

S. Priest recieves whispers and lore information about boss and npc

Protection Paladins can reveal demons

Elemental Shaman are friendly with air elementals in Stormheim.

Several classes have special AFK animations like Frost Death Knights, Restoration Druids, and Restoration Shaman.

NPCs react to certain artifacts. For example, a Ol' Toomba in Dalaran talks about the curse of the Outlaw Rogue weapons, while an elven blacksmith wants to see Felo'melorn and has a neat conversation.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    I don't like hidden mechanics at all.

I don't like that they are hidden, because they absolutely won't be universally beneficial (suppose you hit a mob and the hidden ability fears him - there are many, many cases where this is completely undesirable and at best annoying), and because I no longer have full knowledge of the specs to choose from.

Either "show" them or remove them completely. Hidden is stupid.
    Well if you die and you get a free battle res, it doesn't really affect your gameplay..
    The random effect should all be like this giving you the "awesome" effect but not effect the gameplay.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Justpassing View Post
    Come on fuck the balance already, let's have some fun! Let's roll the dice!

I'm fucking dead serious here. We've had over TEN YEARS of "balance", and I think as loyal fans we earned a little bit of a fun...And no, it's not fun at somebody's expense (inb4 waah waah world pvp), errybody will have fun!

I'm fucking sick of balance, let's have some perfect imbalance; rogues oneshooting cloth, mages destroying warriors, hunters destroying warriors (poor warriors) and I don't mean this in a waah waah vanilla server way, I mean it in a it'll be so fucking fun for errrrybody way!

Sorry I just had to get this off my chest. /dropmic

If things aren't balanced people will roll with thats OP.

Look at humans atm. Literally almost 40% of the player base on my server is now human. Thats counting both horde and alliance in that btw.

I dont even know why blizzard tries....
    Put in over 100treasures to find? Addon on launch day reveals were every single one is (even though you could buy a map with archeology crates, but that was a perk you could achieve with archeology not thru an addon)
    Add hidden and rare NPC´s? Those are also available on the map with an addon on launch day.
    People whine and moan that there is not sense of discovery in the game, and its literally impossible for blizz to achieve that, because a good chunk of those that cry about no sense of adventure or discovery use these addons actively.
    And if blizz try to sneak in a mount? No problem, we data mined it before blizz even got around implementing it ingame :P
    Edit: And make every artifact abit more fun with some hidden abilities that arent OP in anyway, f you blizz, why you hide this not that important ability from me? I need a tooltip for that dagger whispering shit....
    Last edited by Zexz; 2016-04-30 at 09:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shade3891 View Post
    Well if you die and you get a free battle res, it doesn't really affect your gameplay..
    The random effect should all be like this giving you the "awesome" effect but not effect the gameplay.
    It does affect your gameplay, ie, you get to survive in some scenarios in raids where others can't / drop some stacks of harmful debuffs "for free", etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    So this is kinda cool. On the front page we have a Warrior who found a free battle rez from Odyn after he died wielding the Fury Artifacts.

I actually found a similar thing with the Marksman Hunter Artifact, a stacking run speed buff that just seemed to apply randomly. When I saw it, I parsed through every artifact talent, my spellbook and talents... and couldn't find anything.

In a way I like the mystery of having "unknown" bonuses, but I already know there are going to be people who want like an official ability in the spellbook or something.

How do you feel about these? Cool?
    The problem is that a couple of days after launch, all the "hidden" abilities will be online in a guide somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    The problem is that a couple of days after launch, all the "hidden" abilities will be online in a guide somewhere.
    It's not "the problem", it's the only thing that makes it somewhat tolerable. I don't want to play something I don't know completely everything about, it's not simply unappealing, I actively hate the idea.

It does affect your gameplay, ie, you get to survive in some scenarios in raids where others can't / drop some stacks of harmful debuffs "for free", etc.
    It's not free, though. You get 8 seconds to kill your killer, or you just drop dead. Pretty useless for dropping debuffs. In a raid, you'd most likely just delay your death by 8 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    It's not free, though. You get 8 seconds to kill your killer, or you just drop dead. Pretty useless for dropping debuffs. In a raid, you'd most likely just delay your death by 8 seconds.
    It's more free than not having this resurrection, that's all that matters. Imagine a boss which sacrifices two guys closest to him in short succession every couple of minutes as a sort of an enrage timer - a warrior will count for two guys. Imagine a boss where you could press a couple of buttons easing him up and every button kills whoever presses them - a warrior will count for two guys again. I am not even talking about keeping some weak adds alive in order to sacrifice warrior on purpose and have him resurrect without a bres, that goes without saying.

Really, if they don't restrict this crap (this particular ability and all other hidden abilities because who knows what else these geniuses put there) to the world, one of these abilities is going to bite them in the ass sooner or later. (And then we'll have Ensidia all over again.)

I am not even talking about keeping some weak adds alive in order to sacrifice warrior on purpose and have him resurrect without a bres, that goes without saying.
    He has to kill the mob that killed him. Not any mob. Which also renders your examples void, the Warrior is just going to die after the first round. Not to mention that the first boss would likely either override this kind of effect, or pre-select two targets and not target the Warrior twice.

It seems more to me that you haven't actually understood how this effect works. In a raid fight, it is most likely not going to do anything but delay death for 8 seconds, if it isn't just disabled.

It's not "the problem", it's the only thing that makes it somewhat tolerable. I don't want to play something I don't know completely everything about, it's not simply unappealing, I actively hate the idea.
    I only used the word "problem" because it's a mechanic that doesn't really work as intended. It's like treasures scattered around the game world right now. They're all pointed out by a simple addon. Even before addons were really a thing, websites like thottbot and such had every single quest detailed completely. There was no mystery. There still isn't any mystery. The game isn't even out of the testing phase and people already discovered the "hidden" abilities of the artifacts, FFS.

They might as well just break down and put a tooltip in the game if they're going to have the ability at all.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    He has to kill the mob that killed him. Not any mob. Which also renders your examples void, the Warrior is just going to die after the first round. Not to mention that the first boss would likely either override this kind of effect, or pre-select two targets and not target the Warrior twice.

It seems more to me that you haven't actually understood how this effect works. In a raid fight, it is most likely not going to do anything but delay death for 8 seconds, if it isn't just disabled.
    Can you read?

Here's the first of my examples:

Imagine a boss which sacrifices two guys closest to him in short succession every couple of minutes as a sort of an enrage timer - a warrior will count for two guys.

A warrior goes to the boss, the boss kills him. A warrior gets resurrected by this ability and stays where he is, the boss kills him a second time. Yes, the warrior dies, but without him two people would have died.

Just to make things simpler for you, delaying death for 8 seconds is useful in and of itself. Escaping death is even more useful, but even delaying is useful.

There's no "Which also renders your examples void", there's someone who can't read. The irony of you saying to me that it is me who doesn't understand something is enormous. There's no "Not to mention that the first boss would likely either override this kind of effect, or pre-select two targets and not target the Warrior twice", I am giving example scenarios in which a warrior would be counted as two guys due to the ability, to show that such scenarios are totally possible. That there are scenarios in which a warrior doesn't get much from this ability doesn't matter. If you say that they won't design bosses like that in order not to step onto the ability, great, then they just have to keep more in mind when designing bosses. They fail at seeing abuses now, these abilities add to that. Sooner or later they will miss something and one of these abilities will make someone OP, likely blowing with a scandal in their beloved PVE race, that's my point. Same tenfold for PVP, because they fix things much slower there.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    I only used the word "problem" because it's a mechanic that doesn't really work as intended. It's like treasures scattered around the game world right now. They're all pointed out by a simple addon. Even before addons were really a thing, websites like thottbot and such had every single quest detailed completely. There was no mystery. There still isn't any mystery. The game isn't even out of the testing phase and people already discovered the "hidden" abilities of the artifacts, FFS.

They might as well just break down and put a tooltip in the game if they're going to have the ability at all.
    This I agree with.
    Last edited by rda; 2016-04-30 at 12:20 PM.

Can you read?

Imagine a boss which sacrifices two guys closest to him in short succession every couple of minutes as a sort of an enrage timer - a warrior will count for two guys.

A warrior goes to the boss, the boss kills him. A warrior gets resurrected by this ability and stays where he is, the boss kills him a second time. Yes, the warrior dies, but without him two people would have died.
    No, hes right that you dont understand how the ability works. The Warrior does not die, this is not a self res like Ankh. Instead of dying the buff procs and he has 8 seconds to kill or die for real. The dying part only happens if he failed to kill the target that "killed" him, so the Warrior cant be sac'd twice in your example.

Here's what will most likely actually happen: Warrior gets hit, hidden ability delays death for 8 seconds, gets rendered ineligible as target.
    Second melee gets hit and dies.

You act like there's nothing that can be done to prevent that the warrior gets hit twice. Most likely, the boss would just kill both simultaneously anyway, like Gorefiend.

Quote Originally Posted by nazrakin View Post
    No, hes right that you dont understand how the ability works. The Warrior does not die, this is not a self res like Ankh. Instead of dying the buff procs and he has 8 seconds to kill or die for real. The dying part only happens if he failed to kill the target that "killed" him, so the Warrior cant be sac'd twice in your example.
    That depends on whether the boss counts deaths or just does big hits that will kill anyone. If he does big hits, warrior gets to get hit twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Justpassing View Post
    Come on fuck the balance already, let's have some fun! Let's roll the dice!

I'm fucking dead serious here. We've had over TEN YEARS of "balance", and I think as loyal fans we earned a little bit of a fun...And no, it's not fun at somebody's expense (inb4 waah waah world pvp), errybody will have fun!

I'm fucking sick of balance, let's have some perfect imbalance; rogues oneshooting cloth, mages destroying warriors, hunters destroying warriors (poor warriors) and I don't mean this in a waah waah vanilla server way, I mean it in a it'll be so fucking fun for errrrybody way!

Sorry I just had to get this off my chest. /dropmic
    Trolling or? No. What logical reason would there be to intentionally make the game not fun for anyone anymore by doing this? Lol. Some people. Smh
    Prot Warrior 2004-2008. Hunter 2008-2018.
    Retired boomer.