Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Acquila View Post
    I'll start saying that i'm a priest, draenei and fan of Velen, but what i'm more curious is how strong Velen really is?

Kil'jaeden believed that Velen was the strongest of them back in Argus. But that was before the power boost they got from Sargeras. We can say for sure that Kil'jaeden and Archimond became way stronger than he is now.

In the burning legion, we have Sargeras, Kil'jaeden and Archimond as the most powerful beings, but who is the next in line? Dreadlords? Pit lords?

I'm mentioning Dreadlords and Pit Lords because in the priest hall, Velen have this vision:

So apparently, Velen is afraid of Balnazzar. That raises the question: Are dreadlords really that strong that could make Velen fear for the future? I always thought that Pit Lords were stronger than Dreadlords, but now i'm not so sure.

Maybe Velen got weaker after thousands of years running or maybe he is not even that strong to begin with it. Any lore experts could elaborate more on this?
    Dreadlords are supposed to be pretty high up, but please remember that Balnazzar also has an army behind him.

Speaking of which, you're also supposed to be able to witness Velen's vison: http://legion.wowhead.com/quest=43379/velens-vision

I'm not sure what role the Cult of Forgotten Shadow plays in averting the doom Velen foresaw, since I wasn't the one who did these quests, but apparently they need to be recruited for the sake of fulfilling the prophecy that saves them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rathbourne View Post
    Thats unfair bro.They have certain weak spots like the head,belly,underbelly....and stuff below that.....
    So pretty much everywhere?

I'll start saying that i'm a priest, draenei and fan of Velen, but what i'm more curious is how strong Velen really is?

Kil'jaeden believed that Velen was the strongest of them back in Argus. But that was before the power boost they got from Sargeras. We can say for sure that Kil'jaeden and Archimond became way stronger than he is now.

In the burning legion, we have Sargeras, Kil'jaeden and Archimond as the most powerful beings, but who is the next in line? Dreadlords? Pit lords?

I'm mentioning Dreadlords and Pit Lords because in the priest hall, Velen have this vision:

So apparently, Velen is afraid of Balnazzar. That raises the question: Are dreadlords really that strong that could make Velen fear for the future? I always thought that Pit Lords were stronger than Dreadlords, but now i'm not so sure.

Maybe Velen got weaker after thousands of years running or maybe he is not even that strong to begin with it. Any lore experts could elaborate more on this?
    Both Dreadlords and Pitlords are under the command of Kil'jaeden and Archimonde in the Burning Legion. However, some are more important than others, and some other demons seem to be special cases.

In the War of the Ancients, Hakkar the Houndmaster was sent into Azeroth as a "lieutenant" - he, at the time, was a powerful demon that aided greatly in the Highborne's attempts to summon more demons. Later, they gathered enough power to summon Mannoroth, who was described as being much more powerful than Hakkar. Later yet, they summoned Archimonde, who was way more powerful than either of the other lieutenants. Dreadlords did come into Azeroth at the time as well, but none (that I can remember) were named, and they didn't have any sort of special status like Hakkar and Mannoroth.

However, it seems that since then, the Dreadlords have a much more prominent role in the Legion. Balnazzar is a powerful Dreadlord that corrupted an entire holy order, and then cheated death. Tichondrius is a major fight in Suramar, and he's the leader of the Dreadlords. They're shown as much more calculating and cunning than races like Pitlords, who are generally more physically strong. Dreadlords have powers over shadow and undeath, which makes them very dangerous to Velen. It should be noted that they're one of the original demons, and they once revered an Old God - that's actually how Sargeras found out about the Old Gods originally. Despite the fact that one of the priest artifacts is a literal claw of an Old God, an enlightened race of magically enhanced demons that can easily raise mortals as undead is quite dangerous.

But, even now, some of the newer demons are shown as being important to the Burning Legion. Brood Queen Tyranna, an Aranasi, was in charge of Mar'dum - a position given to her personally by Sargeras. Nowadays, it seems more likely that it's based off an individual demon's contributions, rather than what the race can do altogether.
    Last edited by Destinas; 2016-05-01 at 04:58 PM.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

Quote Originally Posted by Destinas View Post
    Both Dreadlords and Pitlords are under the command of Kil'jaeden and Archimonde in the Burning Legion. However, some are more important than others, and some other demons seem to be special cases.

In the War of the Ancients, Hakkar the Houndmaster was sent into Azeroth as a "lieutenant" - he, at the time, was a powerful demon that aided greatly in the Highborne's attempts to summon more demons. Later, they gathered enough power to summon Mannoroth, who was described as being much more powerful than Hakkar. Later yet, they summoned Archimonde, who was way more powerful than either of the other lieutenants. Dreadlords did come into Azeroth at the time as well, but none (that I can remember) were named, and they didn't have any sort of special status like Hakkar and Mannoroth.

However, it seems that since then, the Dreadlords have a much more prominent role in the Legion. Balnazzar is a powerful Dreadlord that corrupted an entire holy order, and then cheated death. Tichondrius is a major fight in Suramar, and he's the leader of the Dreadlords. They're shown as much more calculating and cunning than races like Pitlords, who are generally more physically strong. Dreadlords have powers over shadow and undeath, which makes them very dangerous to Velen. It should be noted that they're one of the original demons, and they once revered an Old God - that's actually how Sargeras found out about the Old Gods originally. Despite the fact that one of the priest artifacts is a literal claw of an Old God, an enlightened race of magically enhanced demons that can easily raise mortals as undead is quite dangerous.

But, even now, some of the newer demons are shown as being important to the Burning Legion. Brood Queen Tyranna, an Aranasi, was in charge of Mar'dum - a position given to her personally by Sargeras. Nowadays, it seems more likely that it's based off an individual demon's contributions, rather than what the race can do altogether.
    Thats really interesting. Maybe that is the reason why Velen need the Shadow Priest player and the cult of the forgotten shadows. They have a better understand of the shadow and would be a invaluable asset to fight the legion.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it would be fitting to have Vellen face his former Allies again.

Thats really interesting. Maybe that is the reason why Velen need the Shadow Priest player and the cult of the forgotten shadows. They have a better understand of the shadow and would be a invaluable asset to fight the legion.
    That, and Sargeras is truly afraid of what the Void Lords and Old Gods can do.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I think it's pretty simple; demons have class levels like all of us Some nathrezim are also very learned mages, necromancers or warlocks and that can make up for the raw power that all annihilan have.
    From wowpedia:

Sargeras was the original leader, but Kil'jaeden is running things while Sargeras is missing. The Eredar Warlocks serve as the Legion's overlords and strategists. Pit Lords serve as generals and ground commanders. Dreadlords are a step below Pit Lords. Doomguard are four steps below dreadlords, serving as "Marines - captains, military leaders, etc." Terrorguards are close in rank and role to doomguard. Felguard serve as rank and file soldiers.

Although Dreadlords and Pitlords are very close to eachother in terms of positions, the former being an elite force under KJ, the latter - under Archimonde.
    It'd be funny if it weren't so pathetic... No, what the heck, I'll laugh anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JustRob View Post
    Any source?
    Plenty on wowpedia.

Deleted
    Would be far better. I would like some "We hate each other, but we need this shadowy douchebags to fight the Legion" better than "Yeah! Balance! We may be Priests totally devoted to the light, but we just love this guys who worship the complete antithesis to this power we devote our lifes to"

Quote Originally Posted by Destinas View Post
    It should be noted that they're one of the original demons, and they once revered an Old God
    Not quite right. They were having a fine time on an Old God dominated world, but nothing says they revered the things.

Quote Originally Posted by M-Ra View Post
    Would be far better. I would like some "We hate each other, but we need this shadowy douchebags to fight the Legion" better than "Yeah! Balance! We may be Priests totally devoted to the light, but we just love this guys who worship the complete antithesis to this power we devote our lifes to"
    Ah, but the Shadow Priests believe in the whole "Balance" thing more than most Light-worshipers do. Their belief system still holds the Light in a very high place of respect and importance, even if they focus more on studying the Void. In their own words, they basically believe in the necessity of both.

That "Balance" thing isn't a new thing either they invented so that there was a reason for them to get along. It's existed since the Forsaken Priest quests were first added in WoW.

In short, you're suggesting there should be an entirely one-sided hatred, as the Cult of Forgotten Shadow isn't even slightly anti-Light, towards the Shadow Priests for focusing their attention and research on a force that even the Naaru recognize as necessary.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by KrakHed View Post
    Ah, but the Shadow Priests believe in the whole "Balance" thing more than most Light-worshipers do. Their belief system still holds the Light in a very high place of respect and importance, even if they focus more on studying the Void. In their own words, they basically believe in the necessity of both.

That "Balance" thing isn't a new thing either they invented so that there was a reason for them to get along. It's existed since the Forsaken Priest quests were first added in WoW.

In short, you're suggesting there should be an entirely one-sided hatred, as the Cult of Forgotten Shadow isn't even slightly anti-Light, towards the Shadow Priests for focusing their attention and research on a force that even the Naaru recognize as necessary.
    In WoD the whole Void thing was described as pretty Evil and even the Orcs forbidd the use of it in the past.
    And didn't the Cult of the Forgotten Shadow had Lightslayers?
    And:

. They’re also morally opposed to the use of Shadow and Void magic—

7+ Year Old Account
    In WoD the whole Void thing was described as pretty Evil and even the Orcs forbidd the use of it in the past.
    And it is. The use of the Void can easily lead to madness and that's why Shadow Priest (At least. Most of them) use its power with caution to not lost themselves

The player character is a special case because his/her willpower is so strong that he/She can use it to a level similar to the followers of the Old Gods
    That was old rpg canon.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by JTHMRulez1 View Post
    That was old rpg canon.
    http://wow.gamepedia.com/Teegan_Holloway

It seems like the Lightslayer Class made it into Canon.

And:
    Indeed they did, because many of their foes wield the Light. However, their beliefs always carried that bit about remembering the importance of the Light.

And clearly these are just general descriptions of the various faiths. If Velen was so against using Void magics for anything, then Auchindoun wouldn't have ever had Soulpriests or a Void wing.

If we're talking WoD, Draenei have a known tradition of Shadow Priests and the Arakkoa Outcasts portrayed it as a force that helped keep their minds together and sheltered them from the light of their zealous brothers.

Netherlight Temple was built by the Draenei and has a similar structure to Auchindoun, including the Void wing part, so it's not going to refuse Shadow Priests.

7+ Year Old Account
    http://wow.gamepedia.com/Teegan_Holloway

It seems like the Lightslayer Class made it into Canon.
    He is only a lightslayer by name.

Quote Originally Posted by JTHMRulez1 View Post
    He is only a lightslayer by name.
    It doesn't even matter if he's a Lightlsayer or not. Training assassins to counter the Light doesn't make them anti-Light overall. The Scarlet Crusade was one of their main antagonists back in the day.

While they certainly disagree with the teachings of the Church of the Holy Light, as they're most certainly heretics by its standards, they're more or less fine with the Light itself. That's how the lore has always been shown and that's only been more emphasized over time.

These are not the words of someone who rejects the Light, and this is a genuine Shadow Priest speaking. Not a Discipline Priest or anything like that.