Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Duuuuuude you want to start an internet argument, you post this:

6÷2(1+2)=?
    What's the acronym again?

PMDAS?

So you must have an IQ of 150 to solve a 2x2 system of equations? lol. Also the notation in the OP is confusing, most people who knows about math probably tried to solve (x+y)(x-y)= x^2-y^2

x + y = ab
    x = (a + b) / 2
    y = (a - b) / 2

10+ Year Old Account
    I have an average IQ at best and that shit took me 15 seconds maybe to figure out.

This BS 'test' has nothing to do with how 'intelligent' you are.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Daryl Dixon View Post
    A teasingly tricky maths challenge that claims to separate the real boffins from those who just claim to know the answers is sweeping Facebook.

Some three million people have already taken the tricky 'Intelligence Test' which carries a 'share if you understand' tag on it.

Unsurprisingly, a shed-load of people have shared it, keen to show that they have an IQ of more than 150, apparently what you need to be able to understand it.

THE QUESTION:

Based on the intelligence test rule: x + y = (x - y) (x + y) and using the pattern below to help you, work out how ?+? = 123

6 + 4 = 210
    9 + 2 = 711
    8 + 5 = 313
    5 + 2 = 37
    7 + 6 = 113
    9 + 8 = 117
    10 + 6 = 416
    15 + 3 = 1218

THE SOLUTION

If you split the answer of 123 in two: you get two numbers 1 and 23

To work back to what the numbers in question are, you need to work out two numbers where the second subtracted from the first makes 1 and also both added together makes 23.

YouTuber Talwalker has written a formula for the ?+? part, calling the first number in question x and the second number y.

Using these and the numbers 1 and 23 split out of the answer delivers:

x - y = 1
    x + y = 23

This corresponds to:

12 – 11 = 1
    12 + 11 = 23

Write you them together and you get 123, as in the brainteaser question which is written 12 + 11 = 123

Are you still with us? Then congratulations, you're a genuine boffin...
    So solving that, you will have 150 IQ? Not likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    This whole "intelligence" test assumes you don't know anyrhing about math, if you are above 3rd or 4th grade this test no longer makes any logical sense.
    It made perfect sense to me, and I'm doing research in mathematics. Arithmetic is math; math is not arithmetic. You can give symbols new meanings to study different things, there's nothing wrong with it.

Like, here's a cool linear algebra example. For two positive numbers a and b, we can define a + b = ab, and a*b = b^a (scalar multiplication). That is, we define addition to be the normal multiplication, and multiplication to be exponentiation. This turns the positive numbers into a vector space, where '0' is now 1, because a + 1 = a1 = a.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post

PMDAS?
    The acronym should be 'Write clearly, assholes.'
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Deleted
    my iq is 711

Quote Originally Posted by Thepresident View Post
    my iq is 711
    = 9 + 2 = 11.
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    = 9 + 2 = 11.
    na its fom when he said 7 11 instead of 9 11 (Twin Towers atk)
    todays when asked will you convince the jordanians teh kurds the ... to atk isis he sais Jordan is a great guy a famly man
    Last edited by mmoc1bc8e6de49; 2016-05-03 at 09:10 PM.

I'm getting a different answer than everyone else, am I dumb?

I got x = 61.5 and y = 61.5.

Then I checked my work and I got pickles.

Poor souls obsessed with symbols. Abstraction is such a rare talent.

15+ Year Old Account
    Oh, I see the problem. They just made a typo in the description guys, "If you solve this, you have an IQ over 150", is supposed to read, "If you solve this, you have an IQ over 50". Case closed, everyone can go home now.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    Poor souls obsessed with symbols. Abstraction is such a rare talent.
    No I think the gripe is that combining abstraction with symbols that are otherwise used officially for different applications serves no purpose other than to help people with self doubt issues to stroke their own egos as they watch people get their "super ingenius" problem wrong due to being confused and not necessarily due to not being as intelligent.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    No I think the gripe is that combining abstraction with symbols that are otherwise used officially for different applications serves no purpose other than to help people with self doubt issues to stroke their own egos as they watch people get their "super ingenius" problem wrong due to being confused and not necessarily due to not being as intelligent.
    Overloading symbols is incredibly common in mathematics, because there are only so many symbols that we can typeset unless we want to start writing textbooks and papers with wingdings. This is particularly true for the symbols '+', '*', and '='.

10+ Year Old Account
    intelligence and facebook are forbidden from being used in the same sentence

Deleted
    x+y=0 so x=y

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Overloading symbols is incredibly common in mathematics, because there are only so many symbols that we can typeset unless we want to start writing textbooks and papers with wingdings. This is particularly true for the symbols '+', '*', and '='.
    Yeah but the problems like this all share one thing in common; they deliberately use the syntax in a confusing manner.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post

PMDAS?
    It's realistically PE(MD)(AS), because multiplication and division are the same thing, and addition and subtraction are the same thing. MD happens left to right if you've resolved all the parentheses and exponents. AS happens left to right if you've resolved everything but them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Yeah but the problems like this all share one thing in common; they deliberately use the syntax in a confusing manner.
    Fair enough. I mean, I guess you could use something else like '@'.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    It's realistically PE(MD)(AS), because multiplication and division are the same thing, and addition and subtraction are the same thing. MD happens left to right if you've resolved all the parentheses and exponents. AS happens left to right if you've resolved everything but them.
    I don't get the left to right part, both multiplication and addition are associative.

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl Dixon View Post
    A teasingly tricky maths challenge that claims to separate the real boffins from those who just claim to know the answers is sweeping Facebook.
    the only way to win any kind of test you see on facebook is to not take it.