Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Angry Obesity could be a contagious condition that spreads like a stomach bug

http://news.nationalpost.com/health/..._lsa=46cc-efa8

Obesity could be a contagious condition which spreads in the same way as bugs such as C.diff, scientists have suggested.

A huge study of bacteria in the human gut has found that one third of species produce spores which survive in the open air and can potentially move between people. Scientists now believe that many diseases and conditions are triggered or exacerbated by changes in gut bacteria.

A decade ago, Washington University discovered that adding gut microbes from obese mice to thin mice caused huge gains in weight, a finding which has been replicated many times.

But the new research suggests that those microbes can live outside of the body and be ingested, potentially upsetting populations of healthy bacteria in the gut and triggering disease.

It could explain why some illnesses run in families. Far from being simply genetic, family members could be picking up conditions through close contact or sharing bathrooms.

Spores are a form of bacterial hibernation which allow species to remain dormant for long periods of time.

It is the first time that scientists have considered that the transmission of disease might be possible through gut bacteria.

Trevor Lawley, who led the study at the Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute, Cambs, said conditions such as obesity and inflammatory bowel disease, which includes Crohn’s disease and colitis, could be passed on.

“I think there are definitely diseases that are caused by an imbalance in microbiota. If you look at something like inflammatory bowel disease or obesity, that’s a possibility.

“People who live in the same house share a similar microbiome. And genetics only really accounts for between 7 to 13 per cent of the risk. There are definitely people who are more susceptible to disease and so it could be a combination of things.”

Scientists are confident that by mapping the bacteria in the gut of healthy people they should be able to reset the balance.

Around two per cent of a person’s body weight is due to bacteria. Many of these bacteria are sensitive to oxygen and are difficult to culture in the laboratory, so until now it has been difficult to isolate and study them
    I knew it!
    Finally we have some hard data to back it up.
    So much for just letting each person live their own life.

10+ Year Old Account
    and to think we just guessed people sat on their bums all day and ate cheese fries.

10+ Year Old Account
    omg. tennisfriend your back!
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    omg. tennisfriend your back!

I'll always be back.

So really it's bacteria's fault that people are fat. They can't help it.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    >Suggestion

>Hard Data

Uh-huh...

Obesity is caused by more calories coming in than going out.

There is no fucking disease.

Stop fucking eating tons of shit food and drinking tons of sugary soft drinks.

It's much more than just that.

http://arstechnica.com/science/2016/...-to-stay-slim/

http://bodyecology.com/articles/unkn...h_epidemic.php

http://www.thecandidadiet.com/candida-weight-gain.htm

There are many reasons why diets like the Atkins diet work so fast on many people.

Some people can burn 2500 calories where others like myself burn only 1700 calories walking most of the day 5 days a week at work. I'm not at all "fat", but I fight it each day.
    Last edited by thatmikeguy; 2016-05-05 at 05:03 PM.

Deleted
    See.. obese people have a buttload of fat. Literally.

Can bacteria magically produce matter out of nothing? Either its BS and those obese people are fat cause they eat too much, or you just solved the energy crisis and we can just harvest these bacteria and make them produce fat in huge barrels which we can then use as fuel. Oh yea and solve world hunger too.. yum yum fat for everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by TrigglyPuff View Post

Sure everyone knows that, but some people burn calories at a far higher rate at rest than others.

10+ Year Old Account
    “I think there are definitely diseases that are caused by an imbalance in microbiota. If you look at something like inflammatory bowel disease or obesity, that’s a possibility."
    Eat yo vegetables

True, there have been studies in the past about this, but they have focused on other things like fungus and such. There could also be a tie with antibiotics we use everywhere, and many other sources known to target the same things.

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    Two threads
    five minutes
    no substance

so gym rats should wear masks and kick the fatties out? Noice.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rothg View Post
    Two threads
    five minutes
    no substance
    These threads makes me obese.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TrigglyPuff View Post

There is way more to the epidemic than this. Stop spreading false information.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    So really it's bacteria's fault that people are fat. They can't help it.
    It could be what's allowing those microbes to live in the first place.

If two people are at rest and are the same weight and have been doing the same amount of activities over time, but one burns 800 more calories than another each day that is a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    There isn't.

You take 2000 fatties and put them on a desert island, away from Potato Chips and Mountain Dew, where they have to move around a bit and they will drastically lose the weight.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    The biggest contributing factor to losing weight is moving more and eating less. Sure, there's other factors involved. But their role is tiny by comparison.
    Eat yo vegetables

https://chriskresser.com/the-high-pr...fully-recover/

Antibiotics are great for killing bacteria but won't touch yeast.