Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    first of all... i need to see the full picture of your avatar.

secondly, idk. maybe more people are realizing what a bullshit waste of existence this world is.
    you can find it on a certain website derp.
    as for the suicide it's because of the u.s. atrocious mental health system and the lack of economic prosperity for many middle class americans.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Narwhalosh Whalescream View Post
    https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...ica-skyrockets
    why is it? First world countries. We have got everything: Sliced bread, internet and memes. The memes Jack! The memes!

Is it because of capitalism? Just kidding.
    Humans have come to the point where most of us are guaranteed basic needs. So we invent new ones. Ones that are harder/impossible to obtain. So people believe that they unhappy.

Hedonic treadmill does a great job of explaining this.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilir View Post
    Because life is overrated ? I mean you live and then you die.

What you do in between is totally irrelevant. Fear of death is some bs people put in your brain so you don't realise it's pointless.

Death is not a big deal, neither is life.

You do what you want.
    Death is not a big deal, we all will face it. And I believe not the end. However life is a big deal and we all decide what we want to do with it. Those who are desperate enough to want to end their live before they get to live it all, can not handle dealing with life or death. But it is still their choice. In some cases like terminal illness which only offers a life with suffering, it is understandable to want to end it.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Is it because of capitalism?
    They realize Hilary might be president.
    You cared enough to post.

Ultimately a lack of purpose.

Deleted
    loneliness I guess

I doubt societal atomization and the decay of traditional values is helping.

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    Numerous theories and ideas on the why, but most of it boils down to stress & anxiety.
    Yeah pretty much and depression, which are all cause by the way the system works with high debts, working ours and the stress related to it and a number of other various variables.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I doubt societal atomization and the decay of traditional values is helping.
    Pretty sure they're not hurting, either. The thing with "tradition" is that it's usually outdated.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lack of jobs.
    Higher cost of living.
    Earning a wasted debt through university/college.
    Internet causing isolation.
    The pathetic nature of celebrity culture, and 'internet fame'.
    We stopped searching for monsters under our beds when we realized that they were inside us.

Tell me something, my friend. You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Suicide always increases during economic downturns.
    In a nutshell, this. Declines in economy have always resulted in increases in suicide rates.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

Men are becoming out dated. Leftists rejoice.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

uhh, Shina. Not going to link but you can google "Shina warcraft".
    ͜ʖ ͡°
    i knew it looked familiar. just wanted to check.

still images just don't seal the deal for me anymore though, good stuff though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because with first world things come first world problems. From youth youre already forced in certain labels, schooling system still thinks you gotta get educated in everything instead of your trade, working your ass off in college because the old people say its what youre supposed to do, then you end up in a hole of unemployment because youre not special. A world with idolized idiots of which you are told to match em, but you don't want to be retarded. You're supposed to blend in with society but the older you get the less it makes sense. A system built around the idea's of men of an old civilization, in which WORK WORK WORK is life but everything new is geeky, stupid, useless.

Basically, people of the modern age realise working till youre 78 is not living at all.

I'm enjoying my time with alcohol and games, tho.

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    Ultimately a lack of purpose.
    and boredom i'd wager, though of course it always come down to the individual so making sweeping generalizations is an effort in futility.
    life is what it is, and for many people what it is turns out to not be very compelling, and much like how you'd turn off a movie if it was boring you some folks just shrug and go "fuck this shit, i'm out."

life isn't a zero sum game and you don't get a prize for sticking it out.
    frankly i think people trying to always blame suicide on "mental health problems" or some kind of bad-things-happening boogie-man just don't want to confront the idea that there are people who don't consider life sacred and would rather not be than to keep putting up with this crap.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Because of the stigma of mental illness people ignore the symptoms or deny them. Often times if they do get help the side effects of some medications are horrible, or they think they're cured and stop taking them. Add in the stress factor of not being able to support ones family during an economic downturn, find a job, or lose things they valued is added pressure. With lack of adequate mental healthcare more people are going to slip through the cracks.
    Patience is a virtue. I never claimed to be virtuous.

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    loneliness I guess
    I think this has more to it than most of the things proposed. Having friends online satisfies it to an extent but not the same chemicals are released so it doesn't help as much as just having someone to chill with on a semi-regular basis.

That said, the internet also does a fabulous job of pointing out how shitty the average person really is. A reality that I find slightly to moderately depressing.

Quote Originally Posted by Zandro View Post
    I was just most baffled by the article stating that suicide is the third leading cause of death in those age 15-24
    And what they are supposed to die from? If it was in some poor third world country, war, famine, diseases and all would be on top of the list. Remove those and you have few things left - few uncurable illnesses, traffic accidents, crime, etc. This day media get alarmed that people die from obesity. But at least it means civilization saved them from dying to more horrible things that some people still suffer in Africa for example.

Quote Originally Posted by ccombustable View Post
    Suicide actually goes up as a country's economic prosperity increases.

Some speculate it's precisely because a person is relatively well off. You know you should be happy, and yet you are still sad and life is miserable for w/e reason (usually against forces you feel helpless against). Depression is also a very tunnel vision force, a person with depression has trouble even imagining a better life. Living in poverty (not falling into, mind you) actually tends to see reduced suicide rates because you know what your struggles are, and that is why you are sad but you know what you are fighting.

Anyway, take the first explanation of feeling like there isn't a good reason to be sad, and then add the stress and anxiety of economic struggles giving an even bleaker outlook of the future, and it can be a perfect storm.
    Kinda this too, more developed societies put more pressure on an individual to climb up, obtain more, "make career", fit some model life, the whole economy spins around creating fake needs, they lie to you that satisfying those "needs" will make you happy, so people work their asses off to be able to afford those and then also find out that it didn't even make them happy, therefore feeling of emptiness and burnout. We created a culture of show off and "to have not to be". Parents often "care" for children by buying them stuff instead of spending time with them and raising them actually. They pay for their babysitters, schools and private lessons but then we grow generations of people that can't even socialize, form human bonds or have little care for morals.

Men grow up only to believe their only goal in life is to make money and better not get too close to any woman because she's only there to steal those money. That puts them into lonely life of some work in corpo that often doesn't even allow you to admire any fruits of your labour. A farmer saw the harvest and knew his work made sense. And what sense is in some endless reports and business meetings? Capitalism detached money from the value they were supposed to represent, banks and stock exchange operate with virtual values that one day might completely lose value and no one knows why (like the big USA mortgage crisis).

So you don't even know if what you possess will keep being worth something in the future or not, because all is fickle. Insurance companies take lots of money promising you security in case of illness or old age (retirement), people want security but they can't have it guaranteed anymore, anything can happen in the long term, like financial institution going bankrupt or currency devaluation. People want security, sense of purpose and company of others that would make them feel not lonely - nowadays security is gone, purposes are fake and you can feel lonely in a crowd.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussiedude View Post
    Wrong.. I had a team mate in my Soccer team commit suicide and his parents where well off financially.

It can affect anyone..Rich, poor..and it is very had to pin down the reasons or predict anyone that may self harm.
    No, it's not wrong. Lots of people commit suicide all the time. Your friend was just one of those people. Yes, suicide can affect anyone but the number of people committing suicide increases when the economy takes a downturn. The fact that one joe blow committed suicide while his folks were well off is meaningless to the widely known and well accepted statistics that suicide deaths increase when the economy takes a drop.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lack of strong social networks. Developed nations have less of a need for them, so people just fall through the cracks.