Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

Why so much hate for Sylvanas?

(Keep in mind I currently do not play WoW, I do, however, keep up to date on information about it)

*Spoilers* (Highlight below)
    After reading that Vol'Jin dies in Legion... Why is no one (or so it seems) considering Sylvanas?
    I get that her opinions are off a bit, but she could literally make thousands upon thousands of Undead to completely conquer the Alliance.
    I just don't get how THAT specific thing is not a GOOD thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Laqweeta View Post
    (Keep in mind I currently do not play WoW, I do, however, keep up to date on information about it)

After reading that Vol'Jin dies in Legion... Why is no one (or so it seems) considering Sylvanas?
    I get that her opinions are off a bit, but she could literally make thousands upon thousands of Undead to completely conquer the Alliance.
    He shouldnt even be RIP in the first place he hasnt gotten to do shit yet other than what? saying hello at our garrisons?

I wouldn't say hate, at least from me. I'd say limited expectations. No deep trust. I trust her to do the right thing IF that happens to coincide with her interests. The way Blizz has written her, she doesn't deserve much more.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

It's more mistrust. She's been known to scheme and do her own thing, she doesn't exactly have the health of the Horde in mind, she's out for her own and worries more about her people (undead) and getting revenge. She doesn't make great leader material, imo.

She is basically the Undead female version of Garrosh. She committed genocide on the Gilneans unprovoked.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGamer030 View Post
    She is basically the Undead female version of Garrosh. She committed genocide on the Gilneans unprovoked.
    Not to mention her "re-purposing" Arthas' minions. Pretty fishy stuff happened during Cata and MoP.

Quote Originally Posted by daem View Post
    Not to mention her "re-purposing" Arthas' minions. Pretty fishy stuff happened during Cata and MoP.
    She did that back in Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne.

Me only beef with her is that she is getting development at the expense of Character who was actually in need of getting a huge spotlight. Sylvanas already had her share of attention. There are other undefined characters that are in desperate need of getting story. I'm Glad that they remembered about Genn, but Vol'Jin is example of the worst possible writing. You don't build someone up to be meaningful character and dispose him immediately after, for no reason.
    I miss Mists of Pandaria

Her character is boring and one dimensional and she hasn't had any character evolution in 14 years.
    I'm glad to have multiple personalities, if i didn't i would be talking to myself, and that's just insane.

Because they covered her up.

I like Sylvanas, though her story tends to go overboard every now and then. Anyhow, if you look at any racial leader who gets the spotlight, there will always be dislike.

Who the hell hates Sylvanas? Point me at them! Honestly though she is the coolest fucking character the Horde has ever had. She's tough as nails, cunning, resourceful, and devoted to her cause. If she loves the rest of the Horde races even half as much as she does her Forsaken, she'll be the best leader currently in power on Azeroth by a mile. Nothing gets past the Banshee Queen.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Borigrad View Post
    Her character is boring and one dimensional and she hasn't had any character evolution in 14 years.
    I believe you're talking about Geralt of Rivia. Sylvanas, on the other hand, is as complex as the entire Iron Throne posse of GOT.

Using chemical warfare against innocents and showing poor leadership skills during WOTLK by letting Undercity be taken by Putress and Varimathras which in turn allowed the Wrathgate situation to happen doesn't make for a good Warchief. Besides, the only reason the Forsaken are even in the Horde are for ease of gameplay decisions. Do you really think the earth and nature loving Tauren would really ally themselves with a group that produces plague?

The first things I remember when I made my forsaken, way back when, is being told, we are loyal to only ourselves and only in the horde to further our own goals. No loyalties to the horde. Stuck out for me and made me instantly fall in love with them. People don't trust Sylvanas and the forsaken, and by all rights, they shouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Exilian View Post
    I believe you're talking about Geralt of Rivia. Sylvanas, on the other hand, is as complex as the entire Iron Throne posse of GOT.
    Grrr Arthas made me Suffer... *Arthas is dead* Grrr Arthas is dead now I suffer alone, I will change absolutely nothing about my personality or character, cause the writers wrote themselves into a corner

She almost had something interesting happen in War Crimes, then went back to be a brooding emo.
    I'm glad to have multiple personalities, if i didn't i would be talking to myself, and that's just insane.

She's a non-fleshed out character who's major contribution is she was a ranger who was resurrected and then broke away from her captor leading a revolution against him. She's a masochist that doesn't care who she hurts or what gets destroyed on the way to her goals. Now maybe that's changed a bit with the cinematic showing her nodding to Wrynn on the way to the Broken Isles, but she is one of the only characters that has had much development over the xpacs but has done so little to be inconsequential and just a one dimensional character who has gotten boring. Add in that I never found her interesting anyways, and there's my summation of why I could care less about her as a character. When you actually take a hard look at the characters of Garrosh and Sylvanas, Garrosh actually has a much better backstory and history and did more for the horde than anyone who came before him (Lazy Peon or Danger Dolan is worth checking out for that, can't remember who did the video)

Some people like Sylvanas, the rest of us are adults.

Quote Originally Posted by Exilian View Post
    The only depth to Sylvanas exists in her cleavage.

Quote Originally Posted by Laqweeta View Post

I don't see hate for her from the players, and on the Blizzard side? The same guys that wrote WOD are writing Legion, and I honestly don't think they have the chops for a character like her, they use her as a convenient solution to plot points - someone needed to invade Gilneas, someone needs to step up in Legion, ect..

From a Lore point of view, she's completely untrustworthy to anyone but the Undead - even the Blood Elves would have issues using her to take over the Horde. Kosak and crew aren't up to dealing with complex story lines and issues like that - and, it's a game. They'll do whatever fits the content, budget, and time.

She is definitely the last strong character in a leadership position, but I don't expect that to last long. She'll be Legion's Yrel - useful to a point, then left on the sidelines as a propped up mannequin of herself, while the remaining generic, bland "leaders' fumble around badly written lore.

Quote Originally Posted by Smauldy View Post
    Using chemical warfare against innocents and showing poor leadership skills during WOTLK by letting Undercity be taken by Putress and Varimathras which in turn allowed the Wrathgate situation to happen doesn't make for a good Warchief. Besides, the only reason the Forsaken are even in the Horde are for ease of gameplay decisions. Do you really think the earth and nature loving Tauren would really ally themselves with a group that produces plague?
    To add to the poor leadership argument: Pit of Saron. She lets her men die then gloats about it. That's far from the only situation where she openly scorns those working with her. In Siege it's only slightly tolerable because Lor'themar is there to balance out her awful attitude.

Man, why didn't they make Lor'themar warchief. He has so much potential.