Thread: Stellaris

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst
... LastLast

I have been thinking of getting this game because it looks interesting. Yet this game is a bit like civilization, right? Except in space and aliens. I'm not sure this game could interest me enough for its price. Meh... perhaps I can get to at least 1€/h ratio.

I think I'll make some kind of bureaucratic lawyer race... . I think there were such options when I watched a video about this. Oh right... some avian like races could be picked too. Wonder if there is a vulture like race available... xD.

Deleted
    Paradox games generally have much more depth to them than the Civilization series of games, and they aren't turn based, they go in real time.

I doubt you should be looking to Civilization for comparison. Try Master of Orion 2 for classic space strategy.

After getting burned by MOO3, I'm gonna wait and see on this. I love Paradox... but not all Paradox franchises are my cup of tea, so I wanna see if this is what I want from a game, before purchasing it.

10+ Year Old Account
    The embargo lifts in thirty minutes so expect streams and videos to popup in twitch and youtube shortly thereafter.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.twitch.tv/theda9l
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Morae View Post
    I have been thinking of getting this game because it looks interesting. Yet this game is a bit like civilization, right? Except in space and aliens. I'm not sure this game could interest me enough for its price. Meh... perhaps I can get to at least 1€/h ratio.

I think I'll make some kind of bureaucratic lawyer race... . I think there were such options when I watched a video about this. Oh right... some avian like races could be picked too. Wonder if there is a vulture like race available... xD.
    It's designed to turn into more classical paradox grand strategy around the mid game, that is that you will effectively run out of space to colonize by the early mid game and the only possible way to expand is through player or AI territory, with a need to use "vassal" sectors/states and not hold all territory yourself. It also runs in real time. It can be compared to civ but it'll turn into an entirely different beast soon after the start.

Holy cow this game is hard to watch. Heh. Maybe thats true for most Paradox games, but I don't think I've tried watching videos of them before actually playing the game.

Deleted
    Yeah, I am not going to watch video's just the reviews. I really wanna go in this game unspoiled.

Looks really good so far however.

Deleted
    no pre load

I caved in and preordered. :I

The game looks too interesting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Got the Galaxy edition

10+ Year Old Account

Paradox games are never just "civilization like games"

In fact their games are known for being pretty complex.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm 100% sure the main factor Paradox games aren't bigger audience wise is because they throw you into the fire and say good luck. I didn't understand how to successfully play CK2 until about two months in. Basically, they are very daunting games to new people because they know they have a built in customer base.

The tutorial for Stellaris seems to be done very well. Telling you the basics but letting you find out on your own the complexities of the game.

It'll be a massive time sink. I can see myself losing well over 500 hours in this game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nazrark View Post
    I'm 100% sure the main factor Paradox games aren't bigger audience wise is because they throw you into the fire and say good luck. I didn't understand how to successfully play CK2 until about two months in. Basically, they are very daunting games to new people because they know they have a built in customer base.

The tutorial for Stellaris seems to be done very well. Telling you the basics but letting you find out on your own the complexities of the game.

It'll be a massive time sink. I can see myself losing well over 500 hours in this game.
    Pretty much.

Most modern paradox games aren't really that hard once you start to understand how the systems are designed, it just they essentially toss you straight off the deep end from the get go, with no easing into it whatsoever. That creates a skill curve more akin to a 90 degrees brick wall.

Ever played Dominion's 4?
    I have 12 hours racked up and I still don't know what the fuck I'm doing most of the time.

So exactly when will this be released. Steam says 9.5, but at what time? Midnight? Midnight where?

10+ Year Old Account
    So exactly when will this be released. Steam says 9.5, but at what time? Midnight? Midnight where?
    A friendly reminder that we don't do midnight releases - expect @StellarisGame to release late afternoon CEST on May 9th. #DevsNeedSleepTo

From ParadoxInteractive twitter.
    Last edited by Nazrark; 2016-05-08 at 12:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nazrark View Post
    Midnight CEST (Stockholm)
    Not according to Paradox:

"It will be released sometime during the afternoon/evening CEST on the 9th (early morning in the US, late evening in Asia/Oceania)."

They're going to be doing a release stream on their Twitch channel that's probably going to be a few hours, so a midnight release would be a bit too stressful on the staff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    no pre load
    That doesn't make sense to me. Maybe there was some extra fee from Valve for it that they chose not to pay?
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    That doesn't make sense to me. Maybe there was some extra fee from Valve for it that they chose not to pay?
    It's only 4GB though, so it's not as critical as with some other games.