Genji - Ultimate

What does Genji say when he is about to do his ultimate?

Self/Enemy Genji: Ryūjin no ken wo kūrae!

Allied Genji: The dragon becomes me!

The power of google

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenjai View Post

The power of google
    I always get confused between Hanzo and Gengi ult callouts, enemy or friendly---I just run the fuck away either way.

Hanzo is something like "Let the Dragon consume you" right?
    Shhhhh, she's doing magical trig bullshit trig substitutions

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tryuk View Post
    I always get confused between Hanzo and Gengi ult callouts, enemy or friendly---I just run the fuck away either way.

He yells in english when it's your own Hanzo, so yeah

I would love it if they included subtitles for the non English voice lines as another unlockable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Ryuujin no ken wo kurae means something along the lines of "Taste the Dragon God's blade."

I'd suggest listening to them by playing as them in the Training Grounds and casting each ult. I'd say they're easily distinguishable once you hear them a few times to get used to the language:

Hanzo: "Ryuu ga waga teki wo kurau" The first 4-5 words are said both fairly slowly and not very loud whilst kurau is then shouted and the dragon is heard. Since it's pretty much a global ult you'll always know if it's Hanzo's based on the dragon alone.

Genji: "Ryūjin no ken wo kūrae!" The whole thing is shouted and said quicker than Hanzo's. His voice is also a lot younger. You can also hear two sword swings mid-quote if you're close enough.
    Last edited by Akurenia; 2016-05-10 at 09:06 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd suggest listening to them by playing as them in the Training Grounds and casting each ult. I'd say they're easily distinguishable once you hear them a few times to get used to the language:
    They may be easily distinguishable for you, not so much for me, I just go by length (Hanzo has more syllables) and the sword sounds. Typically I confuse Hanzo's for Genji's rather than the other way around---Hanzo's is easier to deal with anyway I find (run perpendicular to the source of the sound or invuln as soon as you see it).

Edit: I'm sad to say I no-life'd Overwatch during the beta, so I've heard both quite a few times :P

The power of google
    I'm not sure this is a 100% accurate. As far as I remember, 'ken' is more 'fist' or 'strike'. If I remember my japanese lessons this would be more along the lines of 'the dragons strikes through me'. But I'd be happy to be proven wrong on this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    I'm not sure this is a 100% accurate. As far as I remember, 'ken' is more 'fist' or 'strike'. If I remember my japanese lessons this would be more along the lines of 'the dragons strikes through me'. But I'd be happy to be proven wrong on this.
    It may not be a direct translation, but those are what the actual lines are. Possibly it makes more sense grammatically/logically for using 'stikes' than 'becomes' in Japanese? I dunno, my extent of knowing Japanese is google translate and "Domo arigato Mr. Roboto" :P

Edit: I just realized how much someone needs to sync up some awesome Genji play to "Mr. Roboto"

I think you'll be able to tell the difference the more you play and get used to the sounds

Deleted
    Both Hanzo and Genji actually have two lines instead of just one translated into Japanese/English. The line you hear as an enemy/self is different to the line they say as an ally.

In Japanese he says "Ryujin no ken wo kurae", but in English he says "The dragon becomes me". They're not translations of eachother like the other heroes, Ryujin no ken refers to his dragonblade, like the blade of a dragon god, kurae translates as to eat but kurau in its infinitive also means to take a blow among many other things. So he's basically saying taste the blade of the dragon god, in the context that he's about to stab you with his big dragon sword.

I played enough to differentiate, but I did have a little bit of trouble when Genji was first introduced in the beta. I never noticed the sword sound when he does it starts his ult, just when he is using it. I only know it because right after his yell, as Mercy, I usually get cut down.

Justpassing: That is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    The problem with transliteration from Japanese to Roman lettering is that words with different meanings have the same/similar phonetics. ex: 拳 and 剣 are both transliterated to 'ken', but the first means 'fist' and the second means 'sword'. In this case 剣 is the correct noun; 龍神の剣 (ryuujin no ken) being the dragon god's sword.

cant you change what he says when he does it too? or is that just the random character 1-liner