Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Because he's part of the commemoration?

How is it not appropriate? He's supposed to rap in honor of the dead. That's about as appropriate as it comes for a commemoration.
    Because a significant portion of the population finds rap to be abhorrent garbage, and it has no place at a ceremony honoring the dead.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    You haven't given an actual reason... I mean how is rapping appropriate at a WW1 Verdun memorial?
    Because it's memorializing Verdun.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    He can sing about Verdun all he likes.

How is it appropriate for him to rap at this specific centennial commemoration?

Seems anachronistic and unrepresentative to say the least.
    They could invite Niki Minsomething singing about bubblebutts for all I care, appropriate isn't relevant when someone is invited to begin with.

7+ Year Old Account
    All I'm saying is it's inappropriate, and you seem to understand why.

A black rapper doesn't represent the people who fell at Verdun.
    Um I am asking you to tell me how it's inappropriate and you keep not answering. Step up and explain how it is.
    What are we gonna do now? Taking off his turban, they said, is this man a Jew?
    'Cause they're working for the clampdown
    They put up a poster saying we earn more than you!
    When we're working for the clampdown
    We will teach our twisted speech To the young believers
    We will train our blue-eyed men To be young believers

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Myrok View Post
    Because a significant portion of the population finds rap to be abhorrent garbage, and it has no place at a ceremony honoring the dead.
    If people don't like the music, it's fine for them not to attend the concert, but for those that do, there's nothing inappropriate in using any particular type of music to do the commemoration.

I don't particularly like country music, but if someone wanted to have a country music commemoration on the 50th anniversary of Pearl Harbor, I wouldn't give a shit. I just wouldn't go to that particular commemoration concert.
    Last edited by Reeve; 2016-05-13 at 03:58 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Because?

/10

Quote Originally Posted by Pangean View Post
    How is it not? You are the one that made the claim it's inappropriate and are now hiding from stating how it is. Explain yourself.
    How is it hiding to continuously respond to you and others? lol

- - - Updated - - -

Because it's memorializing Verdun.
    How so? In what way does a black rapper memorialize Verdun?

10+ Year Old Account
    All I'm saying is it's inappropriate, and you seem to understand why.

A black rapper doesn't represent the people who fell at Verdun.
    A Puerto Rican Rapper seems to have managed to represent Alexander Hamilton pretty damned well.

There's no reason a black rapper can't show respect to the people who fell at Verdun, regardless of whether or not his skin color is the same as theirs was.

- - - Updated - - -

By singing about their heroism and sacrifice? By singing about the tragedy they encountered? The horrors they endured?

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems the only ones bothered are this one group.

Would President Bush book Kanye West for his grandchildrens birthday party? No, because Kanye has spouted off against the Bushes. This rapper has spouted off against France on a nationalistic level. Why would he be the one there to commemorate those of French nationalism?

If people don't like the music, it's fine for them not to attend the concert, but for those that do, there's nothing inappropriate in using any particular type of music to do the commemoration.
    Would you use rap music at a funeral for your siblings, parents, or grandparents, and yes, rap is an entirely useless genre of music (if you can even call it that)?

Quote Originally Posted by Aeilon View Post
    They could invite Niki Minsomething singing about bubblebutts for all I care, appropriate isn't relevant when someone is invited to begin with.
    I don't think it does a good job of memorializing Verdun to invite Niki Minaj to sing about bubble butts. That's what I mean by inappropriate.

A Puerto Rican Rapper seems to have managed to represent Alexander Hamilton pretty damned well.

There's no reason a black rapper can't show respect to the people who fell at Verdun, regardless of whether or not his skin color is the same as theirs was.

- - - Updated - - -

By singing about their heroism and sacrifice? By singing about the tragedy they encountered? The horrors they endured?
    Why are you citing a musical play that a large segment of the population has no desire to see as a success for a war memorial?

- - - Updated - - -

You guys missed the whole point. They cited the fact that this rapper has lyrics that are anti-France. This disqualifies him from being authentically able to represent French Nationalism. Though I'm sure they also distaste the genre.

Black people fought on both sides of the war, some volunteered, some were forced. It was just in the ending age of colonization. So I don't see why skin color would matter at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Narwal View Post
    You guys missed the whole point. They cited the fact that this rapper has lyrics that are anti-France. This disqualifies him from being authentically able to represent French Nationalism.
    Apparently their objection was that he said France is a nation of "non-believers." That's not anti-France, unless you think being a believer is inherently good and being a non-believer is inherently bad.

Besides, Raybourne's objection has nothing to do with this, and seems to be because he's a "black rapper," which is somehow inappropriate according to him.

7+ Year Old Account
    How is it hiding to continuously respond to you and others? lol

- - - Updated - - -

"You are the one that made the claim it's inappropriate and are now hiding from stating how it is". I bet you think you are cute when you dissemble to defend yourself. Step us and be clear how is it inappropriate?

You're saying this guy wrote several songs about Verdun?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    Black people fought on both sides of the war, some volunteered, some were forced. It was just in the ending age of colonization. So I don't see why skin color would matter at all.
    It's not really representative.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know what he wrote. I know if I were going to be doing a commemorative rap concert for the Verdun commemoration, I'd either write Verdun related songs, or I'd use existing songs about war, Verdun, or national pride.

That's how we do it with all the other musical types we use for these sorts of events.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know what he wrote. I know if I were going to be doing a commemorative rap concert for the Verdun commemoration, I'd either write Verdun related songs, or I'd use existing songs about war, Verdun, or national pride.

That's how we do it with all the other musical types we use for these sorts of events.

10+ Year Old Account
    Would you use rap music at a funeral for your siblings, parents, or grandparents, and yes, rap is an entirely useless genre of music (if you can even call it that)?
    If they were a fan of rap, maybe? You know not all rap/hip-hop songs are about fucking women and doing drugs/breaking the law, right?