Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Deleted

Why do truck drivers pass eachother on the highway?

Don't know about other countries but in Holland its goddamn awfull.

130km/h road, trucks can drive 90 max. Somehow they always feel the need to pass eachother going 91 km/h taking 5 minutes to pass one another holding up every normal car in line up to the point of causing traffic jams and accidents because people have to emergency brake.

I feel like they doing it on purpose to piss off the regular highway user.
    Any truck driver can shed some light on this?
    Last edited by mmoc9478eb6901; 2016-05-13 at 06:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    130km/h road
    going 91 mph
    Why are you doing this!?

Because they want to move faster than the other truck. How many lanes do your highways have?

This is a non issue in the USA as hiways have enough lanes.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nextormento View Post
    Why are you doing this!?
    I started off with mph (caus international) then thought fuck em because i cba to calculate km>mph. Then forgot to change the mph.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Because they want to move faster than the other truck. How many lanes do your highways have?

2, 3 and 4 depending on where you are. They dont move faster, its like they are taking turns to drive in the front in the same colonne.

Many only have 2 lanes.

Yes, it is damn annoying being unable to overtake for ages because of a truck wanting to arrive 10 seconds faster than the other truck.

130km/h road, trucks can drive 90 max. Somehow they always feel the need to pass eachother going 91 km/h taking 5 minutes to pass one another holding up every normal car in line up to the point of causing traffic jams and accidents because people have to emergency brake.

Same reason that packs in the Tour de France trade off leaders.

In this case the lead truck is burning the fuel to allow those behind them to draft.

They don't cause the accidents, it's the people who refuse to pay attention to traffic more than one car in front of them to plan ahead properly.

- - - Updated - - -

There are many two lane (well four lane technically) highways here in the USA, so it's not as much of a non-issue as one might think if they don't venture outside of huge freeways near metropolitan areas.
    How to tell if somebody learned World Geography in school or from SNL:
    "GIBSON: What insight into Russian actions, particularly in the last couple of weeks, does the proximity of the state give you?
    PALIN: They're our next door neighbors and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska."
    SNL: Can't be Diomede Islands, say her backyard instead.

15+ Year Old Account
    In the USA its generally accepted the left lane is the "fast lane" while slower moving vehicles use the right lane.

As someone who drives around 1k miles per week on US roads, I can tell you this isn't a non-issue.

I wouldn't say it's a HUGE issue, but in areas of congestion where there are only 2-3 lanes, it can greatly compound the issue and cause delays.

Why do other people pass each other on the high way? Same answer.

10+ Year Old Account
    So they can get past? They're in a hurry and driving through the other trucks is problematic on many levels.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    The answer is one of two simple things OP:

1. They are spiteful douchebags who don't give a damn about anyone else.
    2. They are unintelligent oblivious people who don't realize how much they are obstructing things.

the actual answer is because of drafting

Because the left lane is designed for passing; it's not designed for constant use.

Probably an effort to stop mindless moronic boy-racers killing someone :/ --- i can see how annoying it would be since the trucks are stopping people over taking.

In the USA its generally accepted the left lane is the "fast lane" while slower moving vehicles use the right lane.
    In the Uk we have 3 lane motorways: The left lane is the slow lane and The right lane is the fast lane.. i forget what the middle lane is used for (used for overtaking i think) but everyone seems to be in it, and it annoys alot of drivers just coasting in the middle lane, i have no idea why as i don't drive but i am currious why

edit

"Motorways can have two, three or even four lanes.

A two-lane motorway - keep to the left-hand lane for normal driving. Use the right-hand lane for overtaking. Once you have finished overtaking you should move back to the left-hand lane as soon as it is safe to do so. Large goods vehicles are permitted to use either lane.

Three-lane motorway - you should stay in the left-hand lane unless you need to overtake slower moving traffic. To do this you should use the middle lane. If you need to overtake several vehicles then stay in the middle lane. There is no need to weave in and out of the left-hand lane as you overtake individual vehicles.

You should only use the outer lane to overtake slower moving vehicles when the left-hand and middle lanes are occupied with slower moving traffic.

When in either the middle or outer lanes, you must be prepared to move over, to the left or middle lanes, to let faster moving vehicles pass.

Large and heavy vehicles including buses, coaches, lorries and cars towing caravans or trailers are not permitted to use the outer lane so if such a vehicle approaches you from behind whilst you're in the middle lane make sure you pull into the left-hand lane, when safe to do so, so that you don't block the vehicles progress.

Changing Lanes and Overtaking on a Motorway:

use the MSM/PSL routine well before you intend to change lanes
    look and, if necessary, signal in good time
    be aware that vehicles might come up behind you very quickly
    a quick sideways glance into the blind area may be necessary
    when safe to do so move steadily into the lane."

source http://www.driving-test-success.com/...-motorways.htm .... googled my own question lol :P
    Last edited by Whitehatter; 2016-05-13 at 06:57 PM.

hehe...HAHAHAHAHAHAHaaaa..!

come out to CA sometime.

Truck drivers are a law unto themselves. Though I find their killing of prostitutes to be more concerning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post

Remember, legally no one sane takes Tucker Carlson seriously.

That's awesome you let cars drive faster than trucks. I wish we got to do that here in the US.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Master Chief View Post
    NO. Just....NO!

There is not now, nor has there ever been, a fast lane. It's a passing lane. If you are driving at any speed, in the left lane, without a car you are passing in the right lane, you are breaking the law, and you are an asshole. The lane is only for passing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    hehe...HAHAHAHAHAHAHaaaa..!

come out to CA sometime.
    I'm from California I know what's up.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

The 40km/h speed differential is far more dangerous than any damn thing the truckers could possibly do. WTF is with that?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    That's awesome you let cars drive faster than trucks. I wish we got to do that here in the US.
    Ummm, in many areas this is actually a thing. Quite a lot of times you'll see two posted speed limit signs -- one for trucks and one for cars. I'm not sure how prevalent it is across the whole country, but there are places that this happens.

Of course in the US no one really drives the speed limit anyway so it's all a bit of nonsense. (Which is part of the reason I always laugh a little when people declare they never break any laws ever never ever)