Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

Should all WoW cheaters be perma banned?

Should all WoW cheaters be perma banned on their first offence? Most cheaters in WoW are given temporary suspensions with varying lengths before a permanent ban is even considered. Is it time that Blizzard took a zero tolerance policy for cheating in WoW too?

Overwatch is introducing a zero tolerance policy for cheaters. Diablo 3 cheaters have recently been permenantly banned too. So it seems like there is a shift towards a zero tolerance policy within Blizzard. While it may deter some people from cheating, players are not given a chance to change their behavior and show that they have learned from their mistakes. Lore explains that here:
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...6375?page=2#24
    However this stance seems to be conflicting with the company's current philosophy on cheating: the Overwatch and Diablo devs seem to believe that perma bans are the way to go, but not the WoW devs.

With Overwatch and Diablo 3 now permanently banning first time cheaters, is it time that WoW followed suit and began permanently banning cheaters on their first offence? Or is a permanent ban right off the bat too harsh of a penalty for WoW? Would it simply not work in WoW as Lore suggests?
    Last edited by styil; 2016-05-14 at 12:20 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure, I don't have a problem with that.

maybe blizzard feel more compassion for wow players as things are harder to get back than overwatch/diablo.

but it does seem strange they perma ban other games but on wow, it's 6 months, then 18 months.

Blizzard has banned cheaters and people using bots permanently in WoW befor. It was just the last ban wave that was a temp ban for some reason.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wanna know why WoW only gives temp bans and Overwatch has a 1 time policy? Because TEMP bans keeps players paying $$$$$$$$$ and Overwatch doesn't have a monthly subscription; ergo 1st offense ban = get banned players to pay for overwatch again.

Its all about the fking dollars

I hope they don't introduce an automated system like CSGO has because it's so easy to circumvent with a memory loaded hack which is undetectable. I don't think OW will have that many hackers as you need to go all out aim/speed/wh or it's pointless and non helpful and you will be busted right away.

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    but it does seem strange they perma ban other games but on wow, it's 6 months, then 18 months.
    Why is that strange? WoW is subscription based, so that means they come back and give Blizzard more money.

i remember a bunch of friends being perma ban because one of them was botting and didnt say anything to anyone. Anyone who logged onto their accounts in that house was flagged and when the huge ban came all their acccounts were banned. Even the accounts that werent botting. It just flagged the Ip address believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Jahaga View Post
    Why is that strange? WoW is subscription based, so that means they come back and give Blizzard more money.
    i've read the forums when thousands got banned, most said they will just make a new account (purchase the game again) and make it on the same b.net so they keep achievements/mounts/pets/looms etc etc, and continue botting rofl.

you can do that with diablo i believe, probably overwatch as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jahaga View Post
    Diablo and Overwatch players can also come back and give Blizzard more money by buying a new game.

10+ Year Old Account
    I remember in MoP, my entire raid team was banned for scripting their rotations. They were perm and I had to find a new raiding guild. D:
    Battletag(US): Bradski#11752
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What do you call a tsundere Wookie? Chew-b-b-baka

EQ2 implemented this prison server where instead of banning people they send the cheaters to that server and forever after your account only has access to that server. Wonder how well that could work in WoW?

I know that Blizzard has mentioned a study I think it was that they found people they banned in WoW with a zero-tolerance policy would typically just make another account and cheat some more. That is one reason they seemed to become more hands off with that and dealing out suspensions because they found cheaters would become more cautious and stop cheating.

So unless that position has changed, I don't think being banned on your first offense would be beneficial to the player and Blizzard. Though if people were spending more money to come back to the game maybe it is?
    Quote Originally Posted by TCGamer View Post
    If I had the cash to pay a DDoSer, I would in a heartbeat. Especially with the way the anti-legacy crowd has been attacked by the pro-legacy crowd day in and day out.

Quote Originally Posted by xcureanddisease View Post
    Wanna know why WoW only gives temp bans and Overwatch has a 1 time policy? Because TEMP bans keeps players paying $$$$$$$$$ and Overwatch doesn't have a monthly subscription; ergo 1st offense ban = get banned players to pay for overwatch again.

Its all about the fking dollars
    I don't get how they're able to do that without refunding the person.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by purebalance View Post
    Probably they start a fresh account orrrr... yeah, dunno!
    Not enough content? Change you dislike?
    Unsub or sub later. Give Blizzard feedback, "vote" with money.
    Give feedback through official channels → quit paying.

Quote Originally Posted by purebalance View Post
    lol, you're serious, omg how can blizzard ban you from their game you paid for it!

go get a gym membership, get your dick out at the gym, try get your membership money back see how it goes, i mean cmon you've paid for use of the gym how can they stop you using the gym!?!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    lol, you're serious, omg how can blizzard ban you from their game you paid for it!

go get a gym membership, get your dick out at the gym, try get your membership money back see how it goes, i mean cmon you've paid for use of the gym how can they stop you using the gym!?!?!?!
    A lot of them actually will, the problem is pulling your dick out there is also public indecency so....

Quote Originally Posted by tinybaby View Post
    i remember a bunch of friends being perma ban because one of them was botting and didnt say anything to anyone. Anyone who logged onto their accounts in that house was flagged and when the huge ban came all their acccounts were banned. Even the accounts that werent botting. It just flagged the Ip address believe.
    They don't do this, all of your other friend are lying to you. Blizz has stated multiple times that you can even have 2 wow accounts on 1 battle-net and the clean will not get banned as long as it has never been botted on.... and IP bans are illegal because too many computers can share an IP. This was put into place as there was an event a long time ago where an entire set of college dorms were IP flagged (not on wow) and the repercussions targeted innocent people.

Do permabans prevent them from buying another account and starting fresh?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Donimic View Post
    They don't do this, all of your other friend are lying to you. Blizz has stated multiple times that you can even have 2 wow accounts on 1 battle-net and the clean will not get banned as long as it has never been botted on.... and IP bans are illegal because too many computers can share an IP. This was put into place as there was an event a long time ago where an entire set of college dorms were IP flagged (not on wow) and the repercussions targeted innocent people.
    Yeah, so many people use the "I logged in from the same IP as someone who botted!"-excuse...

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    Do permabans prevent them from buying another account and starting fresh?
    Ban the credit card used too.