Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Reinhardt and Winston Gameplay - Do you like tanking?

I personally love playing as a tank in this game. But usually need some backup to do things. Healers are almost necessary if you want to win.

What does everyone else think?

I don't think there is any tank better then the other, they all sort of fill a certain niche. Most teams have been running a two tank / one support or a two support / one tank composition. Hard to say where the meta will go but a tank and a heal will always be present in my opinion.

If I had to pick a "best" I'd say Reinhardt. His shield is by far the most useful

I 'main' Reinhardt, but I could never enjoy Winston, dunno why, just seems rather clunky to me. I also enjoy Roadhog though.
    "May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce"

"May the Goddess smile upon you."

"Hero", is what they've all been saying. This world, it isn't worth the saving."

Each tank has their own niche use, but I think in the most traditional sense of the word, Reinhardt is the best at actually 'Tanking' for your team.

Even though Hog, Winston and Rein are all classified as a tank, I think I consider Winston more like a Defense Hunter. His ability to chase and flush snipers out of their locations is next to none, even against Bastions.

Roadhog is... I'm not really sure what Roadhog is, honestly. He's a tubby sponge for enemy's to build up ultimate charges, but has an incredibly handy hook to disrupt and take out Supports, as well as cancelling enemy ultimates mid channel... But does this make him a tank? I don't think so. Sure he takes lots of damage, and has a very strong self heal, but that isn't what makes a tank a tank. I'd say his role is to be a presence in a fight, and to protect his team via using hook as a damage canceler, and healer killer. His tankiness really comes from the fact that people KNOW he's free ultimate fuel, and will divert attacks away from allies in order to hit tubs instead. It's a less linear sense of the word Tank, but no less true because of it.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    There isnt much i dislike with Reinhardt, he can feel a bit slow sometimes ("cast time" on his Charge) and can sometime feel a little bit too squishy without his barrier.

Got one big dislike for Winston and its his ultimate. Other heroes ultimate really feels like they can change the game around when used at the right time but with Winston it doesnt feel like that at all.
    Its fun on maps where you can knock players off the edge, else it feels like Genji dashing around but without the killing. Would love to see Winston doing more damage with his fists during his ultimate.

Yeah I agree that his ultimate is kind of weak. I had some issues with Reinhardts ultimate not hitting people on slight slopes. Definitely a little buggy.

I think out of all the tanks Reinhardt needs a healer the most. The others have gimmicks to either heal up or get out of a fight fast. But Reinhardt just slowly dies

Quote Originally Posted by Lightstar View Post
    There isnt much i dislike with Reinhardt, he can feel a bit slow sometimes ("cast time" on his Charge) and can sometime feel a little bit too squishy without his barrier.

Got one big dislike for Winston and its his ultimate. Other heroes ultimate really feels like they can change the game around when used at the right time but with Winston it doesnt feel like that at all.
    Its fun on maps where you can knock players off the edge, else it feels like Genji dashing around but without the killing. Would love to see Winston doing more damage with his fists during his ultimate.
    Considering his ultimate swings do a large knockback, and that he isn't an offense hero, I think the point of his ultimate is to be a team disruption and positioning ruiner. Reinhardt's ult does very little damage but makes the enemy vulnerable. Whole Hog functions like a ranged version of Winston. Similar theme; Low damage, high control.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I found Reinhardt to be incredibly boring and tiring. Yes, he has charge, yes, he has somewhat disruptive ultimate, but most of the time you're just keeping the shield up and slowly crawling forward. Dropped the shield and tried to do something fancy? Too bad, you just got two teammates killed. Get back to shielding. He's best at pure tanking, though, no contest.

By contrast, Winston was far weaker defensively, but the ability to jump on snipers/supports and scare them away - or kill them outright - was much more engaging. Sure, you occasionally jump in some weird place and get shredded by Bastion (or watch Mei sloooowly drain your life), but it's fun chasing Widowmakers around. Or Tracer fancy blinking or not, this weapon doesn't miss. His damage isn't great, but enough to kill the squishies.

His ultimate is kind of a mixed bag. Very disruptive, but highly disorienting. After couple jumps, it's hard to tell where you are and where are the enemies. Wouldn't mind a TPP view just to see where I am.

It's kinda difficult to say about "liking tanking" when this role can be so different across heroes. D.Va/Winston are more of sniper hunters, Roadhog is bullet sponge fishing for kills, Reinhard is a wall and Zarya can do huge damage if you let her charge too much. Enough variation for people to find something interesting in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmakk View Post
    Considering his ultimate swings do a large knockback, and that he isn't an offense hero, I think the point of his ultimate is to be a team disruption and positioning ruiner. Reinhardt's ult does very little damage but makes the enemy vulnerable. Whole Hog functions like a ranged version of Winston. Similar theme; Low damage, high control.
    Yup. Especially on maps like Ilios where you can simply swat people off the edge of the map it's great.

Remind me why D.va is classified as a tank at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie View Post
    Remind me why D.va is classified as a tank at all.
    No idea. I feel like it was the only thing she vaguely fit as so they had to give her something. Personally I'd say she was a support/defense hybrid (defense matrix) but that's just me.

Deleted
    I don't think Heinhardt and Winston are directly comparable. Heinhardt is great at payload maps and Winston is great at contested area maps. Heinhardt is for team play and strategy and Winston is good for aoe, disrupting snipers and solo play. In my opinion if you are playing with a coordinated group then Heinhardt is invaluable, for solo/casual play Roadhog, Dva and Winston will be best.

Winstons leap and bubble, gives room for breaking chokepoints, clearing contested areas, and just wreaking havoc behind the enemy lines.
    As an offensive tank Winston is far more efficient compared to reinhardt, which is clearly way more defensive.

10+ Year Old Account
    only real tank in my opinion is reinhardt, dva and winston are more disruptors than tanks and roadhog is more of a tanky assault character
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    only real tank in my opinion is reinhardt, dva and winston are more disruptors than tanks and roadhog is more of a tanky assault character
    It's funny how in all these threads everyone sort of ignores or forgets that Zarya exists at all. :P

Translated into my time playing open beta too. I never once saw a single Zarya.

Deleted
    I like playing them and hate playing against them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalmakk View Post
    It's funny how in all these threads everyone sort of ignores or forgets that Zarya exists at all. :P

Translated into my time playing open beta too. I never once saw a single Zarya.
    She was my most played character, rarely did I ever see anyone else tho, but she is more fun when playing with friends, especially a healer like zen! Me and a friend could clear entire teams if they let me gather enough energy, it could go wrong as solo tank tho, you risk getting killed a lot more often that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaeed View Post
    She was my most played character, rarely did I ever see anyone else tho, but she is more fun when playing with friends, especially a healer like zen! Me and a friend could clear entire teams if they let me gather enough energy, it could go wrong as solo tank tho, you risk getting killed a lot more often that way.
    zarya is amongst my most played heroes, i love her endlessly. zarya is more of a bruiser and with maximum charged weapon she is best played as a poker since her right click does extreme damage then and she cant go in hard really well most of the time/ vs better players.

Deleted
    Winston is terrible. Reinhardt is boss.