10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacer View Post
    I doubt you played in vanilla if ýou think they are even remotely similar. Also if you want to level fast, spec either ret or prot dont be holy.
    But don't you lose some artifact points this way? (I have no alpha/beta access, so I can only rely on forum information )
    MMO player
    WoW: 2006-2020 || EvE: 2013-2020 // 2023- || FFXIV: 2020- || Lost Ark: 2022-

Quote Originally Posted by Valkaneer View Post
    I'v have issues with leveling so far. I find it dull and very boring as Holy. Vanilla comes to mind. It takes forever and it's slow slow slow. It feels so very generic. Consecration> judgment>holy shock> Sader strike x2 then weaving in judgment when it's of CD. What's worse Judgment has a longer CD than Holy shock, so it seems so very very clunky. I don't know if I can pain myself to go though 10 levels of this crap.

- - - Updated - - -

Not to forget Mastery does jack crap for leveling.
    I tend to agree about the leveling. I was giving it a go in good faith to try it out, but it's painful as holy. I'm fairly hard to kill, but it takes forever to kill anything.

Right now the phasing issues are making it tough to do much of anything, but I'll probably switch to ret for questing soon and just use my artifact power boosts on my holy weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomana View Post
    But don't you lose some artifact points this way? (I have no alpha/beta access, so I can only rely on forum information )
    You shouldn't loose any of it. Save them up as ret/prot while leveling, use them for holy.Its all items you get, it doesn't directly go to your artifact without you using it.

For those of you that got invited to Beta, welcome!

Leveling as Holy from the start is going to be really painful due to our starter gear having almost all mastery on it. Switch to Ret or Prot or do some dungeons and try to come back to it once you have a better mix of stats. It's definitely still slow, but it's not so bad once you have more crit/haste/vers. And you shouldn't worry about Artifact Power; all of the power comes from consumables that you loot. There's only a handful of quests that directly give Artifact Power to your current weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer View Post
    I doubt you played in vanilla if ýou think they are even remotely similar. Also if you want to level fast, spec either ret or prot dont be holy.
    95% of the time in vanilla I played a warrior, though I played a Holy Priest and Resto Druid for a while in vanilla. Question is did you play any other healer besides a pali. Cuz single target feels just about the same. Yes I kill stuff a lot faster on AoE stuff than vanilla, but there was no AoE damage really for healing specs, but single target feels quite slow. Also I think you forgot Priest had pretty beastly racials back then. Holy Palis in WotLK could take on a Ret Pali and go toe to toe, Holy could also take on 2 on 1 in PvP and possibly win. Shockadin's were a thing at one time.

I would say just being forced to do Holy leveling is BS. Though I am wondering about quest, I thought I completed some quest that automatically applied it to the weapon I was using. I could be remembering that wrong though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamguard View Post
    And you shouldn't worry about Artifact Power; all of the power comes from consumables that you loot. There's only a handful of quests that directly give Artifact Power to your current weapon.
    Too many people still don't know about this. Those quests also account for a tiny fraction of the artifact power you receive in comparison to everything else iirc. Even if you have to put those few points into your ret artifact it's not a big deal at all.
    Last edited by Iceadin; 2016-05-16 at 06:25 AM.
    <Encore> Armory

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceadin View Post
    Too many people still don't know about this. Those quests also account for a tiny fraction of the artifact power you receive in comparison to everything else iirc. Even if you have to put those few points into your ret artifact it's not a big deal at all.
    They account for most artifact power you'll have in the first month, so god forbid you use a few points in your ret wep.

Deleted
    I'm not 100% sure but is leveling as Ret/Prot but switching to Holy when we have to turn in AP quests a viable option? Considering spec changes roughly at how much gold we are looking if I'd want to go that way?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BaltazarDZ View Post
    I'm not 100% sure but is leveling as Ret/Prot but switching to Holy when we have to turn in AP quests a viable option? Considering spec changes roughly at how much gold we are looking if I'd want to go that way?
    Yes, at least in the most recent alpha builds you were able to obtain items that gave AP from quests as prot or ret, then dual spec into holy and use them.

The only quests you have to watch out for are these ones: http://legion.wowhead.com/quests/14-...?filter=51;1;0 (currently only 1 on the list totalling 40 AP; in previous builds there were more) that give AP on completion, even then you can swap specs before completing to get the AP as holy.

The gold cost isn't much as long as you don't swap for literally every item, if you have decent bags you can get away with only doing a swap every couple of levels, meaning the gold cost is minimal.

The only other thing you might want to dual spec for is seeing what traits are on relics, but these aren't too common and you can use up your AP at the same time when checking, or you can just look them up on wowhead.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alor View Post
    Yes, at least in the most recent alpha builds you were able to obtain items that gave AP from quests as prot or ret, then dual spec into holy and use them.
    So, if I understand correctly, the strategy for leveling when you're a holy paladin is to get your ret artefact first, and then your holy artefact when available?
    MMO player
    WoW: 2006-2020 || EvE: 2013-2020 // 2023- || FFXIV: 2020- || Lost Ark: 2022-

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomana View Post
    So, if I understand correctly, the strategy for leveling when you're a holy paladin is to get your ret artefact first, and then your holy artefact when available?
    Yep, ret or prot then grab holy at 102 (or later) from a class hall quest.

Quote Originally Posted by Aladya View Post
    They account for most artifact power you'll have in the first month, so god forbid you use a few points in your ret wep.
    so we level as ret now but don't use anything until lvl 110?
    i hope they will change this crap because there will be literally 0 healers for pugs.

Quote Originally Posted by btard View Post
    i hope they will change this crap because there will be literally 0 healers for pugs.
    For right now, that's the strategy, but we still haven't seen any damage tuning done for healers. In Alpha they had a zone-wide buff to damage for healers that I'm not sure is still in the game (rip old character interface). With appropriate stats and better damage it might not be as bad to level as Holy. We just don't know yet.

I haven't played much because things have been pretty bugged. Lots of phasing issues with NPCs and quest mobs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by btard View Post
    Levelling as holy is possible, albeit slower. Alternatively, you can get your 2nd artifact weapon at 102, meaning you can start as ret, save the items you get from quests (such as Questor's glory), not use them and then swap specs into holy and use them to get the AP in your holy weapon. Right now I believe that there is only 1 quest in Azshara that grants AP directly on completion (earlier in alpha there were many more), which you will lose if you do that quest before 102 (you can swap specs before handing it in once you get your holy weapon), but 40 AP isn't a big deal.

Between 100-102 you can still spec holy, all you lose out from not having the artifact weapon is Tyr's deliverance, 3% crit and a 750 weapon, which won't be a problem in normal dungeons.

Quote Originally Posted by Aladya View Post
    I only remember doing a few quests that granted power on completion. Then again that could have changed AFTER I did the quests.
    <Encore> Armory

Quote Originally Posted by Iceadin View Post
    I only remember doing a few quests that granted power on completion. Then again that could have changed AFTER I did the quests.
    Just about every single quest hub ends with a quest that gives a 100 power item. It's like 500-600 per zone. http://legion.wowhead.com/item=13878...#reward-from-q

Quote Originally Posted by Totaltotemic View Post
    Just about every single quest hub ends with a quest that gives a 100 power item. It's like 500-600 per zone. http://legion.wowhead.com/item=13878...#reward-from-q
    I'm not talking about the on-use items. I'm talking about the few quests that used to exist that gave you artifact power which went straight to the artifact you had equipped as you completed the quest. There is only 1 of those quests that still exists as Alor stated above. I assumed those quests still existed when I made my post.
    Last edited by Iceadin; 2016-05-17 at 06:29 AM. Reason: Clarity
    <Encore> Armory

Quote Originally Posted by Totaltotemic View Post
    Right, but those can be saved. We're talking about the quests that specifically give your currently equipped weapon artifact power.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    One of the important things about leveling as holy is persistence (or any healing spec for that matter). A fresh Beta toon in 680 gear hits like a kitten, but by the time you get to 700, you will see a very significant improvement in your damage output. Obviously, you'll not be clearing at DPS spec paces, but you are far more durable than the dps specs and can pull considerably harder.

And since pretty much everything is faction taggable, you can get in on other peoples kills.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilan View Post
    One of the important things about leveling as holy is persistence (or any healing spec for that matter). A fresh Beta toon in 680 gear hits like a kitten, but by the time you get to 700, you will see a very significant improvement in your damage output. Obviously, you'll not be clearing at DPS spec paces, but you are far more durable than the dps specs and can pull considerably harder.

And since pretty much everything is faction taggable, you can get in on other peoples kills.
    ^ This. Our mains at ilvl 740+ will deal much more damage. Try to get versatility/haste/crit gear now if you intend to level as holy.
    I've leveled to 110 on Alpha and it's not all doom and gloom like people are implying.
    With Wings + Hammer + Cons + Prism we can deal some really high aoe #s.