Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    Yeah, streamlining books to make watchable movies is horrible. I mean, Lord of the Rings is considered one of the worst adaptations ever, and it did poorly in box office, too. How many characters did it delete or change in order to make three three-hour long movies? He could have made a dozen five-hour long films instead! That would have been faithful and succesful, wouldn't it?

Adaptations have to change things around. Storytelling varies in different forms of media, what works in books doesn't work in movies, what works in movies doesn't work in videogames, and what works in videogames doesn't work in movies. The director and the writers have to take a whole universe and its characters and weave their way through the story in a way that's both entertaining and comprehensible. In this case, they need to make it accessible too. Concessions have to be made.

Now, you've got two options: Suck it up and enjoy the movie for its own merits, like Marvel fans have been doing for a decade. Or complain about it everyday until the movie is released, potentially losing out on a whole new fanbase that may form around the "Warcraft Cinematic Universe", were it to become popular.
    uhhuh
    I don't remember mentioning LOTR anywhere.

Deleted
    The nick makes it really hard to take the guy seriously, to be honest.
    lol but he seems reliable for all the other things

Quote Originally Posted by donmater View Post
    uhhuh
    I don't remember mentioning LOTR anywhere.
    It was an example. Do you think nothing was removed or changed for LotR? Do you think nothing is removed or changed for GoT?

Every adaptation has to make changes.

Holy hell, this Epicenter footage looks awesome and the music is actually really good. My hype levels have just increased a lot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thontor View Post
    I think just because you are a fan of warcraft lore, doesn't mean you can't be accepting of the fact that the movie will have different lore. It's possible to be a lore fan and still enjoy the movie if it changes the lore.
    I'm a big fan of lore & I understand what they need to do to make the story more appealing to the masses & allow them to follow the story.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

I'm a big fan of lore & I understand what they need to do to make the story more appealing to the masses & allow them to follow the story.
    Personally I'm of the view that retconning and change can be good, for instance, I found a good part of the last Game of Thrones books to be boring, and for me personally I find the TV-series good. I also like various retcons done in comics well done, Frank Millers take on Daredevil and Batman in particular.

I've read 3-4 franchise books from the Warcraft universe, and IMO, they're sub par, even if the core story is good. Also the game lore has it flaws, so I don't mind at all if they refine it.

7+ Year Old Account

this looks awesome.
    is that a dreadlord?

Formerly known as Arafal

10+ Year Old Account
    Lore is important, but as a lore fan myself, you can not expect this movie to follow the lore 100%. It is like complaining about the Lord of the Rings films not being 100% accurate when trying to adapt a story that could fill out 9-10 movies alone. Changes have to be made when transitioning into film, cuts will have to be made. As long as the integral parts of the story remain intact to retain the spirit of the original work, I am fine with changes like a flying Dalaran or the like.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Arafal123 View Post

this looks awesome.
    is that a dreadlord?
    I suspect that this scene is the final battle with Medivh who is now possessed by Sargeras. Notice how Lothar is in this round room which looks kind of like Kharazan. The ending of WarCraft 1 was about Lothar, Khadgar, and Garona killing the Guardian. It is also the same battle where Khadgar turns into an old man because of Medivh's/Sargeras' magic.
    Last edited by Frozen Death Knight; 2016-05-16 at 10:47 AM.

Deleted
    Is Grommash Hellscream there in the back?

Totally forget about him...

Quote Originally Posted by Zucko View Post
    Is Grommash Hellscream there in the back?

Totally forget about him...
    Terry Notary, the guy who taught all the orc actors how to perform, plays him.

Deleted
    Higher quality version uploaded by Comicbook.com of the CGI featurette:

This movie will be incredible at least visually.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Death Knight View Post
    Lore is important, but as a lore fan myself, you can not expect this movie to follow the lore 100%. It is like complaining about the Lord of the Rings films not being 100% accurate when trying to adapt a story that could fill out 9-10 movies alone. Changes have to be made when transitioning into film, cuts will have to be made. As long as the integral parts of the story remain intact to retain the spirit of the original work, I am fine with changes like a flying Dalaran or the like.
    Besides, 1st war, outside the Last Guardian novel is a complete mess.

If some things changed, it's for the sake of better narrative and filling the plotholes that would exist otherwise.

Durotan in the movie is a perfect example.

Quote Originally Posted by donmater View Post
    Streamlining movies or any entertainment for the lowest common denominator usually doesn't go over too well. Hollywood just likes to think that everyone is 10 years old and can't grasp anything nuanced or complicated.
    It's not like Hollywood took some kind of thought provoking, deep,meaningful work of a philosopher and turned it into a joke.
    They just streamline a videogame story

Quote Originally Posted by Retpala View Post
    Don't go to the theater to see this. Just watch it online.
    Say goodbye to a sequel then.

Quote Originally Posted by Romano View Post
    It's not like Hollywood took some kind of thought provoking, deep,meaningful work of a philosopher and turned it into a joke.
    They just streamline a videogame story
    A convoluted one with several sources and points of view at that.

Hoping more and losing more, I do not want that to happen...

Deleted
    For the other italian fans here, first dubbed clip of Warcraft.
    I like the dubbing, it's not the original but it's better than expected.

http://www.tomshw.it/news/warcraft-l...ovo-film-76995

Yeah, streamlining books to make watchable movies is horrible. I mean, Lord of the Rings is considered one of the worst adaptations ever, and it did poorly in box office, too. How many characters did it delete or change in order to make three three-hour long movies? He could have made a dozen five-hour long films instead! That would have been faithful and succesful, wouldn't it?

Adaptations have to change things around. Storytelling varies in different forms of media, what works in books doesn't work in movies, what works in movies doesn't work in videogames, and what works in videogames doesn't work in movies. The director and the writers have to take a whole universe and its characters and weave their way through the story in a way that's both entertaining and comprehensible. In this case, they need to make it accessible too. Concessions have to be made.

Now, you've got two options: Suck it up and enjoy the movie for its own merits, like Marvel fans have been doing for a decade. Or complain about it everyday until the movie is released, potentially losing out on a whole new fanbase that may form around the "Warcraft Cinematic Universe", were it to become popular.

The nick makes it really hard to take the guy seriously, to be honest.

Compared to this movie, LOTR literally borrowed everything from books even though it didn't. Are you guys so blind that you can't even notice the rewrites. They have not changed things, they have rewritten it. Imagine LOTR where Sarumen's orcs decide to join good guys. That's the very beginning of this movie!

Again, I will refer to spoilers posted in another section. If that is true than it is akin to Frodo never even going to Mount Doom. You might as well write GOllum off! Also that ending is just awful. I remember one guy claiming that it is made for fans. I wonder what fan is he thinking about! I really doubt this script was written for fans. Real question is just who is going to watch this movie? Fans or targeted audience for this script? I wouldn't want to be in Duncan's shoes right now.
    Last edited by jdbond592; 2016-05-16 at 11:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jdbond592 View Post
    COmpared to this movie, LOTR literally borrowed everything from books even though it didn't. Are you guys so blind to notice the rewrite. They have not changed things, they have rewritten it. Imagine LOTR where Sarumen's orcs decide to join good guys. That's the very beginning of this movie!
    If there were known good orcs among Saruman's who didn't join the protagonists in the books but really had no reason not to, since they pretty much did nothing in their own story, wouldn't they be an appropiate point of view of Sauron's forces, were they to be interesting?

This movie didn't create Durotan, and it didn't make him a good guy, it just places him in the right place at the right time in order to show both sides of the story, something the Warcraft franchise is known for. Orgrim is just as conflicted, Gul'dan and Blackhand are just as evil, and pretty much every other orc is just as mindless.

You would have preferred a 1 hour and a half of uninteresting good humans killing uninteresting evil orcs and eventually losing, and that would have been as faithful as it would have been boring. That would have been the action focused generic fantasy crap many thought this was going to be after watching the first two trailers.

This is, potentially, as good of a story, if not a better one than the original. A story made exclusively for a movie, not a book or a game. Showing both sides is important, cutting unrelated characters and events out is necessary and making a spectacle out of every interaction and fight is key.
    Last edited by Soulwind; 2016-05-16 at 11:38 AM.

If there were known good orcs among Saruman's who didn't join the protagonists in the books but really had no reason not to, since they pretty much did nothing in their own story, wouldn't they be an appropiate point of view of Sauron's forces, were they to be interesting?

This movie didn't create Durotan, and it didn't make him a good guy, it just place him in the right place at the right time in order to show both sides of the story, something the Warcraft franchise is known for. Orgrim is just as conflicted, Gul'dan and Blackhand are just as evil and pretty much every other orc is just as mindless.

You would have preferred a 1 hour and a half hour of uninteresting good humans killing uninteresting evil orcs and eventually losing, and that would have been as faithful as boring. That would have been the action focused generic fantasy crap many thought this was going to be after watching the first two trailers.

This is, potentially, as good of a story, if not a better one. A story made exclusively for a movie, not a book or a game. Showing both sides is important, cutting unrelated characters and events out is necessary and making a spectacle out of every interaction and fight is key.
    You are correct. LOTR was just too good a story to not flop hard with 3 hrs of uninteresting "good white western humans" saving the world.

When I was told that movie will show horde side of story too, I didn't realize that they will reduced to caricatures while one orc will be made into human. I mean outside of frostwolf (3-4 Orcs to be be precise), rest of Orcs are portrayed exactly like uninteresting evil orcs. No wonder anyone who watches the clips immediately thinks humans are good guys. People still insist that Orcs are not bad guys but this movie makes them look like mindless killing machine. Durotan is not a good orc, he is just an Orc who joins forces with good humans! I really really doubt that we will see Blackhand's motivation in this war. This is LOTR, but worse. In GOT, villains stay villain but they have reason for their actions. You can even empathize. Here, if you are a green Orc, you are just a walking animal!
    Last edited by jdbond592; 2016-05-16 at 11:53 AM.