Thread: Stardew Valley

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    trying to be a purist. Do mods in this game disable steam achievements or could I safely install the mod that makes fishing easier and still get them all?

I like the mechanic, but it's way too hard with mouse clicks for me even with a gaming mouse.
    Don't worry, you're far from being alone. I think I've seen more complaints on the fishing than any other aspect of the game. It's a hit or miss with players.

Fortunately for you, and anyone else wondering, mods do not interfere with the achievements. You're free to make the fishing easier (or automatic if you *really* hate it) without worry of negative consequences.

I might play it if it comes to console. Not really the sort of game I'd play on PC.

7+ Year Old Account
    If it's worth mentioning, the game does have gamepad support.

How is fishing made 'easier' with a mod and where can I get it? I know how fishing works and I have success now and then but for the most part it seems like I just lose my cast because the slider doesn't remain where it should remain.

7+ Year Old Account
    The biggest change the Easier Fishing mod makes is that it makes the movement of the fish on the slider more gradual. It still moves around, and so you'll have to participate in the mini-game, but it cuts out most of the really harsh, rapid movements.

It can be found in a few places, but I like this site, because it's easy to remember (there is a video of what it plays like, too):

http://stardewmods.com/resources/easier-fishing.39/

Edit: Just for the record, there is mod support on the official forums for the game, as well. Modding isn't frowned upon, it's encouraged.

http://community.playstarbound.com/forums/mods.215/
    Last edited by Sheevah; 2016-04-26 at 12:26 AM.

You guys are vastly over stating the difficulty of fishing. Only the legendary fish should prove challenging once you've actually cast a handful of times to learn the mechanic.

Living the dream.
    seriously though, id love to just live in the woods and make beer and raise animals haha. that is the dream.

I wish he would remove that aspect all together or make it a different game mode. Just knowing I'm going to be judged makes me a little stressed and I don't want that in this game. Things like that turn a game with a lot of content to accomplish into an insurmountable series of tasks. I know it's just psychological, but I already felt like a jerk for not bringing food to the first cooking festival thing.

They tasted it and said it was missing something, almost like they knew exactly who didn't bring a dish this year. But when I didn't live there last year, did they think anything was missing? Noooo. I'm going to uncover some stew cult in these people. I need to ask my artist friend who also moved here if she noticed anything weird.
    i brought a really nice flower to put it because i had just thrown all my crops into the bin the day before. i apparently ruined the soup...oops

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sotally Tober View Post
    You guys are vastly over stating the difficulty of fishing. Only the legendary fish should prove challenging once you've actually cast a handful of times to learn the mechanic.
    Don't be like that. This is one of the most chill games out there. It doesn't need fishing elitists trying to put down the players. The erratic movements are too jerky and the meter isn't responsive enough, plus has momentum, and bounces off the tops and bottoms. While it's bouncing, you get no credit for the meter even if the fish stays within it the whole time. Additionally, there are several normal fish that go balls to the wall from bottom to top non stop that are essentially impossible with even the sharpest human reaction times.

In any case, that shouldn't even matter. This isn't some hardcore game where you need to defend it at all costs. Everyone is different. You have no troubles, great for you. A lot of other people find that it ruins that nice little aspect of the game and have made mods to tone it down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ornerybear View Post
    seriously though, id love to just live in the woods and make beer and raise animals haha. that is the dream.
    Indeed. Probably could do it in an area with farmland just outside of a college town and sell craft beer to local bars, but it would be a lot of work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ornerybear View Post
    i brought a really nice flower to put it because i had just thrown all my crops into the bin the day before. i apparently ruined the soup...oops
    Those picky stewmongers.
    BAD WOLF

Don't be like that. This is one of the most chill games out there. It doesn't need fishing elitists trying to put down the players. The erratic movements are too jerky and the meter isn't responsive enough, plus has momentum, and bounces off the tops and bottoms. While it's bouncing, you get no credit for the meter even if the fish stays within it the whole time. Additionally, there are several normal fish that go balls to the wall from bottom to top non stop that are essentially impossible with even the sharpest human reaction times.

In any case, that shouldn't even matter. This isn't some hardcore game where you need to defend it at all costs. Everyone is different. You have no troubles, great for you. A lot of other people find that it ruins that nice little aspect of the game and have made mods to tone it down.

Indeed. Probably could do it in an area with farmland just outside of a college town and sell craft beer to local bars, but it would be a lot of work.

Those picky stewmongers.
    ya i'm with you, fishing is just not as much fun as it should be. i like that its a mini game and not a *click* wait *click*

as for the beer, nah those pesky college kids cant have it, its mine!!!

There are certainly tricks you can use to make things easier. Instead of letting the bobber free fall and bounce off the bottom, slow it down as it falls just before it hits the bottom by holding down the mouse button a little. I don't recall it ever bouncing off the top if I just hold the button down. I guess I should have included that once you level up your fishing skill a little bit it's really not that hard. When you're at a low level of course fishing is hard, and it should be! But thankfully fishing is one of the quicker skills to level up IMO. Once you get to about lvl 8 in fishing, most normal fish are pretty easy to catch. If you're not leveled up high enough there is always fishing food that helps too.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are certainly tricks you can use to make things easier. Instead of letting the bobber free fall and bounce off the bottom, slow it down as it falls just before it hits the bottom by holding down the mouse button a little. I don't recall it ever bouncing off the top if I just hold the button down. I guess I should have included that once you level up your fishing skill a little bit it's really not that hard. When you're at a low level of course fishing is hard, and it should be! But thankfully fishing is one of the quicker skills to level up IMO. Once you get to about lvl 8 in fishing, most normal fish are pretty easy to catch. If you're not leveled up high enough there is always fishing food that helps too.
    This is a better post, thank you. I completely understand the design and leveling it up, but that doesn't change the fact that it's not enjoyable because trying to level it up by having to partake in a lesser quality experience isn't the best solution. I'm not advocating that the actual developer remove fishing as it is, though it's not the best design. If they really wanted to solve for it directly instead of relying on addons, they could provide a difficulty toggle for fishing. In any case, I'll just use a mod. I enjoy the general concept, but not the erratic nature of the movements.
    BAD WOLF

This is a better post, thank you. I completely understand the design and leveling it up, but that doesn't change the fact that it's not enjoyable because trying to level it up by having to partake in a lesser quality experience isn't the best solution. I'm not advocating that the actual developer remove fishing as it is, though it's not the best design. If they really wanted to solve for it directly instead of relying on addons, they could provide a difficulty toggle for fishing. In any case, I'll just use a mod. I enjoy the general concept, but not the erratic nature of the movements.
    Maybe I'm the weird one, but I find it much more rewarding to succeed when I feel like I didn't have to cheat to do so. The legendary fish were challenging and catching them was very rewarding for me. If I used an easy fishing mod, I doubt I'd even remember doing it because it would mean so little to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe I'm the weird one, but I find it much more rewarding to succeed when I feel like I didn't have to cheat to do so. The legendary fish were challenging and catching them was very rewarding for me. If I used an easy fishing mod, I doubt I'd even remember doing it because it would mean so little to me.
    It's not that you're weird, you just want different things from the game than I do. It's perfectly normal. I don't play a game like that for a sense of challenge like you describe. I play to be relaxed and gain accomplishment through completionism. Whether it took me 2 years or 10 years to 100% the game (in game time) it wouldn't matter. Just looking at the metaphorical grocery list and seeing I checked off all the items while having a good experience will be enough.

Now if I had bought Bass Pro Hunter 2099 Virtual Reality edition, maybe I would want fishing to have a level of challenge that feels rewarding to overcome. I just don't look for that type of thing in a Harvest Moon type game.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Hello Friends! I am going to be upgrading to the Big Coop which gives me 4 more slots and unlocks ducks. I was wondering whether I should spend all 4 new slots on ducks, or get like 2 ducks and 2 more chickens? I'd appreciate your input.

sig made by BeastyBeauty

Quote Originally Posted by Niteowl View Post
    Hello Friends! I am going to be upgrading to the Big Coop which gives me 4 more slots and unlocks ducks. I was wondering whether I should spend all 4 new slots on ducks, or get like 2 ducks and 2 more chickens? I'd appreciate your input.
    atleast 1 duck for work towards getting all items.
    Rest doesnt matter since livestock is terrible for value so do whatever floats your boat.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    atleast 1 duck for work towards getting all items.
    Rest doesnt matter since livestock is terrible for value so do whatever floats your boat.
    Alright thanks. Probably going to get 2 ducks and 2 more chickens then

sig made by BeastyBeauty

http://stardewvalley.net/stardew-val...soles-q4-2016/

Coming to Wii U, PS4, and XBO towards the end of the year.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's awesome news. It definitely deserves it. That will be a fun game on the WiiU for sure with the controller screen. Will probably pick it up on PS4 though b/c....cheevos.
    BAD WOLF

7+ Year Old Account
    Glad to hear the good news for Stardew Valley. The more people that can experience the game, the better.

Deleted
    Bought the game a while ago and really like it, but can't get myself to play it more, as I want to wait for the multiplayer to experience it together with the gf.

Comeoooooooon!