Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    So what is your resolution? Ban guns?
    That would reduce the number of guns on the streets. It wouldn't have an immediate effect since the guns currently on the streets wouldn't just disappear, but it would make it harder for criminals to get hold of new guns to replace the ones they lose when they get caught, and make it harder for new criminals to get a gun etc. Over time that would lead to less guns on the streets, and less gun violence over all.

Quote Originally Posted by zephid View Post
    That would reduce the number of guns on the streets. It wouldn't have an immediate effect since the guns currently on the streets wouldn't just disappear, but it would make it harder for criminals to get hold of new guns to replace the ones they lose when they get caught etc. Over time that would lead to less guns on the streets, and less gun violence over all.
    Do you have any realistic ideas? Banning guns is not going to happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you have any realistic ideas? Banning guns is not going to happen.
    Anything that makes it harder to legally own guns will over time reduce the number of illegal guns as well, since it will become harder for criminals to get hold of new guns.

Anything that makes it harder to legally own guns will over time reduce the number of illegal guns as well, since it will become harder for criminals to get hold of new guns.
    So you would hinder tens (if not hundreds) of millions of citizens following the law, for the thousands that choose to not follow the law?

Sounds like a pretty shitty place to live.

10+ Year Old Account
    So you would hinder tens of millions of citizens following the law, for the thousands that choose to not follow the law?
    If it would lead to a safer society with less gun violence? Yes, I would implement stricter gun laws (I would personally prefer a complete ban).

If it would lead to a safer society with less gun violence? Yes, of course I would implement stricter gun laws (banning them completely preferably).
    Well its not going to happen here. Not sure what to tell you on that one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well its not going to happen here. Not sure what to tell you on that one.
    Oh believe me, I know stricter gun laws, or a total ban for that matter is a big no-no in the U.S. I'm just saying that if it ever happened it would over time lead to less gun violence.
    Last edited by zephid; 2016-05-19 at 05:31 AM.

Oh believe me, I know stricter gun laws, or a total ban for that matter is a big no-no in the U.S. I'm just saying that if it ever happened it would over time lead to less gun violence.
    Yes and if we banned half the cars on the road then half the number of people would die in them every year.

We could also ban cigarettes and alcohol and completely eliminate deaths from those as well.

Deleted
    I don't think there is much doubt about something like that. But it could just as easily also make terrorism easier, with firearms being more accessable.

Either option likely doesn't solve the problem, and it tends to be easier and less risky to go with what currently "works".

Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    I don't think there is much doubt about something like that. But it could just as easily also make terrorism easier, with firearms being more accessable.

Either option likely doesn't solve the problem, and it tends to be easier and less risky to go with what currently "works".
    In European countries it seems pretty easy to acquire fully automatic weapons due to open borders for those who wish to get them. Seems to be the MO for terrorist at least.

Automatic weapons are extremely rare in the USA at this time due to the 1986 GCA and 1932 NFA - almost unheard of for one to be used in a crime. Think the last big event we had was the North Hollywood bank shootout in CA back in the 1990's.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes and if we banned half the cars on the road then half the number of people would die in them every year.
    The difference is that a lot of people need cars in their everyday life, can't say the same about guns.

We could also ban cigarettes and alcohol and completely eliminate deaths from those as well.
    Well if cigarettes and alcohol was "invented" now it would probably be banned. The only reason why it isn't is because it has been part of our culture for so long that it would be impossible to ban.

Well if cigarettes and alcohol was "invented" now it would probably be banned. The only reason why it isn't is because it has been part of our culture for so long that it would be impossible to ban.
    But you do believe they should banned yes?

How about cars that are manufactured to go twice the speed of any posted speed limit? Here in America you can buy a 700 horsepower car that goes over 200mph, but the fastest road we have has a speed limit of 85mph.

How do you feel about katanas? How about knives over a certain length?

If the argument is about need, we can have a fun discussion.

Deleted
    In European countries it seems pretty easy to acquire fully automatic weapons due to open borders for those who wish to get them. Seems to be the MO for terrorist at least.
    I don't think it is easy, but terrorists are persistent, so even with completely closed borders (which would be quite the stretch) they'd likely still be able to get them across (they could likely find some old stolen Cold war weapons as well if they wanted to). I mean in the US you have tons upon tons of drugs smuggled in yearly, if those drug smugglers changed business to fully automatic weapons, you'd likely have the same problem (the cocain rings in Florida, certainly had impressive arsenals to choose from).

So as I said, it isn't a solution that we are sitting on right now (clearly), but any changes to current laws likely wouldn't be a miracle solution either.

Deleted
    The difference is that a lot of people need cars in their everyday life, can't say the same about guns.

Also the purpose of a car is to transport people from A to B in a timely manner, and unfortunately a side effect of this can be road traffic accidents. The purpose of a gun is to harm or kill other living beings, including people.

trained citizens carrying weapons is something i'm completely fine with. That being said they should have an extensive training program and background testing making sure they visit the range atleast once or maybe twice a week to improve on their skills. the only problem is when some idiot gets a hold of a weapon and shoots a few people.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohdearuk View Post
    Also the purpose of a car is to transport people from A to B in a timely manner, and unfortunately a side effect of this can be road traffic accidents. The purpose of a gun is to harm or kill other living beings, including people.
    So basically we should ban bows and arrows as well yes?

Deleted
    So basically we should ban bows and arrows as well yes?
    I didn't mention banning anything. I was just talking about the intended purpose of a car and a gun. Now that you bring it up, I guess it would be very hard for someone to mass murder a school with a bow and arrow. It would be quite a feat in fact. Maybe Hawkeye could do it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ohdearuk View Post
    I didn't mention banning anything. I was just talking about the intended purpose of a car and a gun. Now that you bring it up, I guess it would be very hard for someone to mass murder a school with a bow and arrow. It would be quite a feat in fact. Maybe Hawkeye could do it?
    Why did we move the goalpost to mass shootings?

The argument seems to be anything that prevents murder or unnecessary death in society regardless of any positive benefits.

I mean cigarettes and booze seem like top contenders over firearms if we are operating on these specific criteria.
    Last edited by TITAN308; 2016-05-19 at 06:01 AM.

But the reason why it's easy to get them illegally is because it's so easy to get them legally.
    Citation please

Alright, had my fun for the night, going to bed. :P