Thread: Gtx 1080

10+ Year Old Account
    Well now at least the cards are not doing way worse performance at DX12, this 1fps difference between it and DX11 can be ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    Well now at least the cards are not doing way worse performance at DX12, this 1fps difference between it and DX11 can be ignored.
    Literally no Async on board. I don't even want to call this Maxwell 3.0 now. It's more like Maxwell 2.1.

So then, my thinking now, is that Nvidia will release their own equivalent of the Crimson drivers for the Maxwell series in general, this thing included. It'll activate Async at a software level, and some minor gains will be had, but that'll be it. This thing is actually still lacking DX12 features. Nothing's progressed or advanced outside of speed.

1080 analogy:

980 is a Ford Fiesta. Solid and reliable, but not very impressive.

1080 looks like a Ferrari, sounds like a Ferrari and goes the same speed as a Ferrari. However, when you get inside it, it's a fucking Ford Fiesta's interior.
    Last edited by Shinzai; 2016-05-18 at 10:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    Literally no Async on board. I don't even want to call this Maxwell 3.0 now. It's more like Maxwell 2.1.
    Yeah... same thought. So boring on the tech front .

Quote Originally Posted by elucidhz View Post
    Cheap for Americans. Canadians will still pay 1K for the damn thing.
    Indeed, the 1070 will be far pricier in Sweden than the US.
    Still damned good price considering my first option (970)...

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Yeah WoW is a joke for the most part, especially if you were to get a 1070 or 80 - my GTX 760 handled WoW just fine at 3440x1440.
    WOW on Ultra played just fine on a 760, did you go into 20+ man raids? Maybe I just got a bad one, But the 760 played WoW OK @1080 flying around the garrisons and Tanaan jungle. By OK, I mean in the 40-60 FPS range. 20+ man raids it was not anything to brag about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post

Well. That clears up that.
    That's what was missing from all these benchmarks. Besides making sure the imagine quality on these cards haven't degraded with 1.7x texture compression. So we know the Async Compute issue hasn't actually been addressed with Pascal. Yet somehow this kind of benchmarking is missing with majority of websites. Yet lots of DX12 results with Tomb Raider. Cause that game isn't a mess.

https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/d...4#post-1915300

async isnt enabled yet even lol

anyway 1080 is fun but 1070 is what everyone wants

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    WOW on Ultra played just fine on a 760, did you go into 20+ man raids? Maybe I just got a bad one, But the 760 played WoW OK @1080 flying around the garrisons and Tanaan jungle. By OK, I mean in the 40-60 FPS range. 20+ man raids it was not anything to brag about.
    CPU matters quite a bit in WoW.

I have an i7-5820K OC'd to 4.2GHz.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    And here i was thinking that because all those people that went to the press event got to take a 1080 and a 1070 home, the embargo date referred to both of them. Silly me.

Does anyone know when the 1070 embargo date is?

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure, but don't bother with the 1070 founder's. Even crappier reference... =\

http://anandtech.com/show/10336/nvid...gtx-1070-specs
    However I have received confirmation that as this is a lower TDP card, it will not get the GTX 1080’s vapor chamber cooler. Instead it will use an integrated heatpipe cooler similar to what the reference GTX 980 used.

Has anyone seen any benchmarks/reviews with two 1080's in SLI? I've googled a bit and didn't see anything, figured nobody was lucky enough to get two cards and/or didn't know someone who got a card that they could borrow to use in SLI

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Not sure, but don't bother with the 1070 founder's. Even crappier reference... =\

http://anandtech.com/show/10336/nvid...gtx-1070-specs
    Oh hey, so it might have an awful reference cooler after all. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Seriously though, the pricetag is just gouging customers if they're not going to include a top of the line reference cooler... :|

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    The problem with all these 1080 benchmarks is that they're terrible. I've seen some where the 1080 wins big, and some where the 1080 barely wins.

Here's a benchmark where the 1080 is 2 fps faster than the Titan. It is 16 fps faster than the 980 Ti. Is that a big win?
    http://imagescdn.tweaktown.com/conte...-king-baby.png

Here's Far Cry Primal. A whole 8 fps faster average than the Titan, but 10 fps more than the 980 Ti.

The biggest win I can find is when benchmarks are done at 1080p. In Shadow of Mordar you get a whole 34 fps more than the 980 Ti, which for some reason is slightly faster than the Titan. But the 980 Ti is already doing over 100fps for that game. Though to be fair, the 1080 can maintain a definite 60 fps even at minimum fps.

So a big win is subjective. According to TweakTown, it's a good ~10fps faster than the 980 Ti. HardOCP's test with Fallout 4 shows a good 8 fps over the 980 Ti. EIGHT! Eight? Break out the wine!

Sorry, but I always have to shake my head and /facepalm at anyone who uses 4K benchmarks as anything remotely serious when talking about overall performance of video cards. We just aren't at a point yet with technology where single card solutions for 4K are feasible yet. Can it be done? Yes. Does that mean it's done well or that it should be used as the standard to compare things? Hell no. Not yet.

I've read several articles and reviews that all say the resolution that the GTX 1080 is really meant for and can really stretch its legs at is 1440p. It actually commands respectable leads at that resolution in comparison to the 980, 980ti, and Titan X.

4K just still isn't a thing yet for single card setups. A lot of people were hoping it would be with Pascal, but we just aren't there yet.
    Last edited by Zephyr Storm; 2016-05-19 at 05:22 AM.

Try upgrading from a GTX 670.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    And a 760 back then could cap wow fine, your problem was your cpu not gpu especially in raids.

Deleted
    So.. There seems to be something fishy going on with the 2.1 Ghz OC on the 1080 during the press event.

Apperently, that was the very first time a FE got past the 2.0 Ghz.
    I also saw something that the volume GPU's are all a bit different regarding OCing... That is probably also why the clocks are quite conservative.

Maybe custom cooled cherry picked version will clock high, but you probably have to pay a lot for that. I'm guessing, we will see reference PCB cards with custom coolers selling for less than the FE. But the high end cooled, custom PCB cards will probably cost as much or even more than the FE.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    So.. There seems to be something fishy going on with the 2.1 Ghz OC on the 1080 during the press event.

Apperently, that was the very first time a FE got past the 2.0 Ghz.
    I also saw something that the volume GPU's are all a bit different regarding OCing... That is probably also why the clocks are quite conservative.

Maybe custom cooled cherry picked version will clock high, but you probably have to pay a lot for that. I'm guessing, we will see reference PCB cards with custom coolers selling for less than the FE. But the high end cooled, custom PCB cards will probably cost as much or even more than the FE.
    They also never showed stage's system so we don't really know what was going on. Maybe the card was running with a watercooler, maybe they overclocked it and then power-limited it with a 60fps cap to do the presentation without getting too hot. There are plenty of alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    And a 760 back then could cap wow fine, your problem was your cpu not gpu especially in raids.
    I disagree, my CPU was just fine. A i7-4790K at 4.4 Ghz. I dropped the 760 and went to a 780 and everything became much better

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Why such a low clock on your 4790K? Mine is all kinds of stable at 4.8...
    I could probably get away with 4.5Ghz, but I tend to run it 100hz less than what I find the max to be, just so that I don't get any surprises at bad times. Outside of that, the usual your mileage may vary. I'm also on air cooling.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Yeah, I backed mine down from 4.9Ghz for everyday things. Guess my cooling solution is just that much more robust than yours.
    /golf clap