15+ Year Old Account

Question Any other DH tanks out there

Just curious what other DH tanks are thinking about the spec atm me personally I'm enjoying it the gameplay feels fun along with timing the transformation heal ability just curious

Do you mean those of us who are just lurking around talking about it? Or are you looking for people with Beta access?
    Orloth SilverEye
    <Demon Hunter Moderator>
    "I am my scars."

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    I've done some DH tanking on the Alpha and Beta, yeah - it's pretty a fun spec with a lot of utility. My only issue is I feel a bit starved for Pain during longer fights but that may be something that irons itself out at max-level or with more Artifact traits on the progression tree.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    bit starved for Pain
    How are you using your pain? Building to 40 then spending, building to max and then spending in pieces, or something else?

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Promdates View Post
    How are you using your pain? Building to 40 then spending, building to max and then spending in pieces, or something else?
    Depends on the fight, really. I like to hold enough Pain in reserve for the CD's that require it, unless I feel safe and then it's build spend build spend, etc. I just seem to notice a lot of times where I feel like it'd be nice to have Pain but I don't have it - but it's also never put me in a life or death type of scenario in my tanking excursions. I also like how dominating the the DH tank feels on the mob control aspect of tanking, getting to mobs or bringing them to you and keeping them all clustered in melee feels really strong for the DH. Those storm giant/Vrykul things in the Halls of Valor also hit like a Mack truck and it's really cool to be able to solo one down once the other DPS and the healer have been decimated by the lightning path AoE pulse thing.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

At lower gear levels it can make sense to feel starved, since we will more than likely go for haste the pain issue will lessen a lot later on. Especially when you get the t19 2pc that lowers soul cleave cost.

It's best to pool pain up to 80 before using fracture so that you can use soul cleave after if needed. With smart usage of ds you use soul fragments as a recovery while waiting foroom DS to come off cd. Or if using feed the demon, to reduce the cd on DS. That's the basic playstyle.

Overall I love the spec and I actually like metamorphosis since it is an "active" major cd that can be used more than other tank cds which have 4/5 min cd. Plus with last resort we get two charges of it.
    Last edited by Munkky; 2016-05-19 at 06:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    I've done some DH tanking on the Alpha and Beta, yeah - it's pretty a fun spec with a lot of utility. My only issue is I feel a bit starved for Pain during longer fights but that may be something that irons itself out at max-level or with more Artifact traits on the progression tree.
    What talents are you using? If you don't mind me asking, I only felt pain starved prior to picking up fel blade.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominousname01 View Post
    What talents are you using? If you don't mind me asking, I only felt pain starved prior to picking up fel blade.
    Can't recall off the top of my head, I'll log on tonight and let you know. I didn't really choose strategically, and I'm more just switching up to see what things do and how they feel.

I've only tried it in a dungeon once and we had only made it to the first fight when server restart happened, so I can't say much. Doesn't help it took me till 106 to find out there's a vendor that sells glaives to use in off spec till let you get the second artifact.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been doing a mix of quests and dungeons as Vengeance, and I've really only got one complaint about Demon Hunter tanking.

All of the reveals, all of the chatter about them, all of the media; it's all portrayed Fel Rush being awesome. Then as tanks we get a Warrior ability that doesn't have nearly the same class identity or synergy with our double jump and glide.

Considering that's been my only real complaint so far? I've been pleasantly surprised. And this is coming from a progression tank of four expansions.
    Answer The Call of Azeroth!
    Wyrmrest Accord - Alliance RP Guild
    Guild Home
    Guild Armory

While yes Infernal strike isn't "iconical" like fel rush, it is more practical and with double jump, is better than heroic leap since we can reach higher places with the second jump. The reason I say its more practical is that you can move to exactly where you want without worrying about aiming. While theres nothing really wrong with roll, I think that it is still superior as a tank to be able to move exactly how you want when you want. I did timing and stuff on it and it is almost exactly Heroic Leap with a different animation, shorter cd, and shorter range (talented it is the same).

Quote Originally Posted by Aetherine View Post
    I've been doing a mix of quests and dungeons as Vengeance, and I've really only got one complaint about Demon Hunter tanking.

All of the reveals, all of the chatter about them, all of the media; it's all portrayed Fel Rush being awesome. Then as tanks we get a Warrior ability that doesn't have nearly the same class identity or synergy with our double jump and glide.

Considering that's been my only real complaint so far? I've been pleasantly surprised. And this is coming from a progression tank of four expansions.
    Havoc is the real identity of the class. Vengeance is really an afterthought.

Infernal Strike is significantly better suited to tanking anyway, and suits the whole idea of Vengeance better.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripstop View Post
    Havoc is the real identity of the class. Vengeance is really an afterthought.
    This so hard. It explains why Havoc came first, and then vengeance came much later in the alpha. And honestly, I personally would rather have Infernal Strike over Fel Rush. At least with leap you have more control over it, and you can't truly game FR like you can with monk roll.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm so excited to dh tank in legion. That's why I'm hoping for beta! Dk since wrath, still wanna tank, but ready for something new. and this looks to be a blast. Excited to be a dh!

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    This my Vengeance Talent layout as of the latest build:

Doing some dummy testing it seems Pain is building up a bit faster now, going to have to traipse into a dungeon to see more.

7+ Year Old Account
    Been playing Vengeance DH on Beta, the class is great re mobility and AOE damage.
    The latest build reverting Demon Spikes back to only a physical damage reduction hurt us a bit, we are probably the weakest tank now against magic damage fights.
    The shear spam is still a little tedious even with fracture and felblade though we are still crying to try and have felblade added as a baseline ability.
    The class is certainly fun to play though, will certainly get better and better the higher the gear lvl mastery/haste rating.

I have done some tanking on a friend's beta DH. I like it in general but I do have concerns about how well it will do in mythic raids. The last update certainly helped a lot but I just feel that other tanks will be preferred over a DH.

Tbh if they send the xpack live with tanks not being balanced I would be quite pissed.. I think in this latest tier classes were fairly balanced for progress and I think it would be really easy to buff/nerf a DH just by buffing the passive tattoes or decreasing empowered wards cd or anything like this. It should never happen again to have a tank being shit for an entire tier or even more.

That being said right now DH is my first choice for legion, I'm really enjoying it.

I have to agree with deliverer, you can't make any full opinions or choices this early since tuning has just begun. If anything they ate going to ninja buff it like they did with monks, especially sinice the class is half the promo for legion. Wouldn't make sense to have the new class be terrible.

Though I do believe that blizzard might have learned something in wod and won't make anything unplayable.