15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah that'd be terrible if for some strange reason they did a 1:1 ratio, but thankfully, couples can have multiple children.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really really enjoyed this last Kabaneri episode, Mumei-chan back to being great.

Quote Originally Posted by Sesto View Post
    Yeah that'd be terrible if for some strange reason they did a 1:1 ratio, but thankfully, couples can have multiple children.
    60 children, half lost, 30 remaining, 15 potential couples, 10 with the ability to reproduce. Are you starting to understand just how many children have to be birthed in these kinds of circumstances now? This doesn't even take infertility or unexpected deaths, or any other such into account.

As I said. Promiscuity is a requirement for any kind of survival.

So I finished Ping Pong: The Animation a few days ago. Fantastic anime. My only two complaints-that-aren't-really-complaints are that Peco and Smile had an I WIN! button, where they just immediately become unstoppable at the flip of a switch, and that I wanted to see more of Peco vs Smile's match, but I totally get why there isn't more shown. 9/10.

What other sports anime would y'all recommend? The only other one that I can recall being recommended was that boxing one that I can't recall the name of.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    What other sports anime would y'all recommend? The only other one that I can recall being recommended was that boxing one that I can't recall the name of.
    Chihayafuru, more shoujo than sports though.

That's about it.

Ro-Kyu-Bu if you want the FBI at your door though.

So I finished Ping Pong: The Animation a few days ago. Fantastic anime. My only two complaints-that-aren't-really-complaints are that Peco and Smile had an I WIN! button, where they just immediately become unstoppable at the flip of a switch, and that I wanted to see more of Peco vs Smile's match, but I totally get why there isn't more shown. 9/10.

The boxing one's most likely Hajime No Ippo. Kuroko no Basket is a good basketball anime. One Outs for baseball. Eyeshield 21 for American football.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    60 children, half lost, 30 remaining, 15 potential couples, 10 with the ability to reproduce. Are you starting to understand just how many children have to be birthed in these kinds of circumstances now? This doesn't even take infertility or unexpected deaths, or any other such into account.

As I said.
    You do realize the society has been running for a while now, and continues to run perfectly fine after the show is over?

They have obviously taken all of this into account and plan accordingly or otherwise it would have crumbled already. They may go through rough patches like during the events of the show, but that just means they need to increase the amount of births for the next year. The leadership isn't stupid. If they are so systematic with their culling then obviously they're going to pay attention to the population growth and take measures to prevent themselves from dying out.

Promiscuity is a requirement for any kind of survival.
    Yeah no. If they want to survive they just need to make sure the population growth is stable each year.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    The boxing one's most likely Hajime No Ippo.
    Yup, that's the one. Thanks.

*steps away from SSY discussion*

Quote Originally Posted by Sesto View Post
    You do realize the society has been running for a while now, and continues to run perfectly fine after the show is over?...

...but that just means they need to increase the amount of births for the next year.
    And how do they do that?

Yeah no. If they want to survive they just need to make sure the population growth is stable each year.
    Your previous statement doesn't work without it.

...Seriously, stop being this stupid. It would require 2-3 births per capable female to ensure a steady growth. That requires promiscuity. It's not even an argument, it's a fact. If even 10% of females opted out or chose not to, they'd see rapidly collapsing numbers.

In fact, go read this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sub-replacement_fertility
    Last edited by Shinzai; 2016-05-20 at 12:15 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd like to say that Flying with has the most spot-on coloring of the entire season.

Edit: And Netoge has the worst one, wtf are those skin tones ffs. The pink haired girl looks like a zombie sometimes.
    Last edited by Artorius; 2016-05-20 at 12:39 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't even know what you're arguing about anymore. First you try to argue their system is flawed and they are dying out, which is wrong. Then you try and argue they are promoting the bonobo society so everyone will have lots of sex to prevent them from dying out, which is wrong. Both are explained through the show itself. Maybe you should rewatch it.

...Seriously, stop being this stupid. It would require 2-3 births per capable female to ensure a steady growth. That requires promiscuity.
    No, it doesn't. I don't think you understand the definition of the word promiscuity. Telling families to increase the amount of times they have sex is not telling them to be more promiscuous.

I'm late here to respond to the SSY explosion my comment created, so I'll try to be brief since I'm stepping in late. I'm essentially with Goriq and Sesto in my position, with some differences I'd like to point out. However, I feel there are two different issues at stake: how the society got there, and how the society maintains itself.

How the society got to its present state is questionable. The implication I got from the flashbacks is that the emergence of Cantus users was spontaneous and greeted with a mixture of fear and violence. And of course, as the history shows a psychopathic Cantus user is an unstoppable demon that wrecks havoc on everything around it. I don't think the strife and conflict with the Cantus users came from their 'fascist government.' I don't think they HAD one at that point. It came from a simple recognition of the threat they represented, and in the war of survival they turned the tables and won.

After this we see the next 1,000 years pass by and how the Cantus abused their new position, as would be unfortunately common for any human in such a position. Somewhere along the line enlightened self-interest came to the rescue and the current state was established, where they realized that life couldn't go on like that. What confuses me is when the queerrats came about, because the flash backs clearly show Cantus emperors ruling over other hominin-looking humans, not mole-rat-humans.

So I can't fault Cantus users for acting out of self-preservation, which I believe is what it began as. I can fault them for degrading the rest of humanity, but I honestly don't remember the series explaining exactly why or when this was done. I just remember it telling us that queerrats were the remnants of non-Cantus humans.

Now, getting to the current state of the society I view it as a natural outgrowth of social morality. I discuss this in greater depth in my review, but the bottom line is that "killing kids" isn't done to maintain power or for spite. It is done because without those extreme steps the society would either completely collapse into chaos or revert back to the older, even more brutal versions.

First, they did try to avoid violent methods: the death-reflex is in place just so that people wouldn't go on a rampage. That was their first choice, to instill in everybody a deep incapacity to harm another human. That's a tremendous step and I think very laudable. The problem was that it wasn't enough. It's like how the cells of your body have many fail-safes to keep them from multiplying uncontrollably, but occasionally that one cell mutates into cancer and then the rest of your body is a helpless victim.

This is where the vigilance and culling come in. The parallel I use in my review is that intentional, pre-meditated infanticide was common in primitive societies; if the tribe couldn't support another child, then that was that. It wasn't "kindness" to keep a child alive because that could put stress on the rest of the group, cause fracturing, and doom them all. In the Cantus society, a malfunctioning child represents a threat to everybody's survival. Can you say that it would be moral to intentionally let a child who showed these signs to keep going and just hope for the best? No, that would be a gross failure on the part of the leadership. It would be like seeing the worrying signs of cancer and doing nothing, hoping that it was just a benign tumor.

The fact that fiends and karmic demons still crop up doesn't negate their rationale, because presumably they are far less common than they would be otherwise. The level of control that the leadership exercises represents a necessity as the society does stand perilously close to annihilating itself. (Although as a necessary comment, leaders aren't perfect, there were clear flaws in queerrat treatment, etc.)

So when I said I didn't think it was that "bad" of a society, I'm not saying that I'd want to live there. However, I don't view it as evil either; just far more perilous than kids growing up would like to know.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chelly View Post
    Interesting idea, but curious how it could be proven/disproven.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Neichus View Post

So I can't fault Cantus users for acting out of self-preservation, which I believe is what it began as. I can fault them for degrading the rest of humanity, but I honestly don't remember the series explaining exactly why or when this was done. I just remember it telling us that queerrats were the remnants of non-Cantus humans.
    They did it so they could kill the non-special humans without activating their protection for cantus against humans. If your brain can't perceive the queerats as humans you can kill them normally. If you know that they're supposed to be human than you can't use cantus against them anymore.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Neichus View Post
    I can fault them for degrading the rest of humanity, but I honestly don't remember the series explaining exactly why or when this was done. I just remember it telling us that queerrats were the remnants of non-Cantus humans.
    It's explained partially at the beginning of the show. SSY The Cantus-led empires didn't last forever, When they fell, large groups of non-Cantus humans formed. These groups hunted down Cantus users. This led to a lot of death.

Which is why they went the route Artorius talks about.

On the cantus users and Queerats: (spoilers ahead, not recommended for anyone who hasn't watched SSY yet)

Episode 25, around 15 minute mark explains it all, linking the past references to it:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/shin-seka...w-world-611619

5pb Plans Plastic Memories Visual Novel.

Interesting. I didn't really care for the anime, here's hoping the VN is better.

10+ Year Old Account
    5pb Plans Plastic Memories Visual Novel.

Interesting. I didn't really care for the anime, here's hoping the VN is better.
    Was it confirmed a visual novel? What I read says "game", but the assumption is a visual novel.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

Quote Originally Posted by Zatheyll View Post
    Chihayafuru, more shoujo than sports though.
    card matches are still hype as fuck though

Quote Originally Posted by Sj View Post
    card matches are still hype as fuck though
    Ofc, Karuta is some serious business. Also +1 for Chihaya in Yukata.