Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    God forbid someone wanting diversity in a video game. Meanwhile, WoW has absolutely 0 diversity.
    Go play something else.
    Quote Originally Posted by TCGamer View Post
    If I had the cash to pay a DDoSer, I would in a heartbeat. Especially with the way the anti-legacy crowd has been attacked by the pro-legacy crowd day in and day out.

Quote Originally Posted by Rougle View Post
    Thanks.

It baffles me how much people care about others religion, race and such all of a sudden.
    2014 Called, it wants its Pro Feminism/Trans/GamerGate Back.

Basically since 2 years ago theres been nothing but a raging boner for movements for pro/anti whatever and everyone insists on shoving it in the face of the gamer, the one target audience that...

Doesnt give a shit.

Sadly, it only makes us have an enimity to the topic by forcing us to even try caring, literally like that idiotic salesman trying to constantly bombard you with a good deal even if you tell them to leave your house.

Some people just dont know how to quit and accept that, the game is what matters.

I like the heroes, not because they are gay, straight, black, white, female, male, whatever.

I like them, because they are cool, badass, evil, good, retardedly op fun, silly fun, troll derpy, or whatever benefits my lore/gameplay fetishes.

And on that note I think this topic should be locked cause frankly I can see a shitstorm brewing.

Troll bait. Nuff' said.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Matchu View Post
    By stating that you didn't care about the very things that add depth or are products of realism. Bit 'cake and eat it' scenario, you want someone to be interesting, but you're against specifics aspects that add to that character. I genuinely don't understand how deliberately ignoring a character's history or emotions / feelings is in any way going to add to how 'interesting' they are. If it's written well for a character, what's the big deal?

So, to return to my original question, what makes a character interesting to you? If that's too wide, who's your favourite fictional character?

Like, you say a little further on you want 'deeply thought' out characters with backstory. Great, so do most people. But how deeply thought out can their backstory be if you're never going to mention where any of the 21 people are from? Do you only want a back story that goes so far for everyone?

I do also think it's kinda contradictory to say you don't care about something, then say you don't want it to be changed halfway through production. Either you don't care, or you care enough to be irritated by its changing to something else.

That wasn't the supposition though. It was all characters. If every TV and film character was one type, would that be fine.
    If you could respond to my whole post instead, that would be great, thanks. That also gives the response to your specific question about TV and film charcters.

Cropping out 90% of my response is terrible on your part.

It does refute everything you try and put forward here.

Again, nothing of what I stated mattered, to the depth, or creation of the overwatch universe.

For the same reason I dont care what race you are, the same reason I dont care where you are from and I dont care what your sexual preferences are. But I would still treat you the exact same as anyone else. Simply because in the end, we are all humans. No ones worth more than another.

What makes a character interesting to me?
    Sure as hell isnt what fucknig race he/she is,
    what sexuality he/she has
    Or where the hell he/she is from.

Again, I will make this as simple as possible for you

What I care about, Is the story, the lore, what made the character who he/she is. How did it come to that.
    For what reason is the character doing what he/she is doing.

and again
    I
    NEVER
    FUCKING
    SAID
    to not mention where the character is from, I never said that I want to ignore a characters history.

Stop trying and discredit my answers and twisting them in a way you see fit.

I said this in the previous post, which you cut out because you clearly couldn't respond to it.

Now.. Would you please, respond to my post in full, including the whole post, so people can see what you are actually responding to.

Not caring, about a characters race/sex/origin =/= not wanting any of that information.

It simply means, I dont give a flying fuck.

For the same reason I dont give a shit that deadpool is a white dude.
    For the same reason I dont give a shit that Morpheus is black
    For the same reason I dont give a shit that trinity is a girl

These characters, are iconic, not because of their sex, or skin colour. But because of the story, and thought put into them.
    If morpheus would have been a hispanic girl, if trinity would have been black. It would not have mattered.

Because in the end. What matters. is the story, the lore of the character.

Do you get it now?

Or do you want it simplified even more?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainV View Post
    2014 Called, it wants its Pro Feminism/Trans/GamerGate Back.

Basically since 2 years ago theres been nothing but a raging boner for movements for pro/anti whatever and everyone insists on shoving it in the face of the gamer, the one target audience that...

Doesnt give a shit.

Sadly, it only makes us have an enimity to the topic by forcing us to even try caring, literally like that idiotic salesman trying to constantly bombard you with a good deal even if you tell them to leave your house.

Some people just dont know how to quit and accept that, the game is what matters.

I like the heroes, not because they are gay, straight, black, white, female, male, whatever.

I like them, because they are cool, badass, evil, good, retardedly op fun, silly fun, troll derpy, or whatever benefits my lore/gameplay fetishes.

And on that note I think this topic should be locked cause frankly I can see a shitstorm brewing.
    This.

Been trying to say this for hours here now.

But these people are way too obsessed with skin colour and sexuality to see past that.

HEROES FOR EVERYONE

No matter your playstyle, there’s a unique hero for you.
    source: https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/
    So why is there no sharp-dressed salaryman with a focus on a strategizing Abathur style from HotS instead of just plain old attacking? That's the hero I want!

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coronius View Post
    Unsurprisingly, OP became hostile when people politely questioned his or her intentions. That is how the Tumblr/SJW/Perpetually-Offended generation works; Opinions other than their are offensive, which makes you racist/sexist/transphobic/"some other bullshit slur that lost its meaning years ago".
    Totally 100% agree, as soon as people started to give their opinions, the OP became hostile and on quite a few occasions very condescending..

Personally I do not care about the race/gender/orientation of the characters in games. I just want a fun game with well written characters and a good story. This does NOT mean I want them to avoid acknowledging those facets of the character, just that I think they should be whatever they are because it MAKES THE STORY BETTER! Trying to add diversity just so the cast is more diverse RARELY ends well, it just feels flat...

TLDR Version: If race/gender/religion/orientation is important to the plot and that element helps make the story better? Add it in there. Otherwise I see no real reason to mention it.

Quote Originally Posted by grexly75 View Post
    Totally 100% agree, as soon as people started to give their opinions, the OP became hostile and on quite a few occasions very condescending..
    It's a pattern you see on MMO-Champ for to much. Their goal is to simply draw people out into insulting them with stances they know are ridiculous and being dismissive to all replies that poke giant holes in their arguments, then laugh as the moderators infract people left and right.

And if a mod were to actually do the right thing and lock the thread, they would go complaining about the mean-old biased mod that locked their legitimate discussion thread.

I don't see why having a personality means you must be devoid of background or identity.
    You said

So what's interesting to you? Where do your characters get their depth?
    In response to

I think I speak for the majority here when I say. I couldnt give a flying fuck about race, sexuality or country of origin.

I just want to play a good game, with a good lore, and interesting characters.
    Which is why I responded with "personality" because there is far more to character depth than the most basic parts of their background. Which is why I said that a characters personality are not defined by their race, sexuality, or country of origin. A characters depth doesn't come from their background, it comes from how they interact and react to the world around them. Interesting characters interact and react to the world around them in odd or non-stereotypical ways or have quirky/atypical reasons for doing more normal or stereotypical things, uninteresting characters interact and react to the world around them in very normal or stereotypical ways and either have very plain reasons or reasons that make no sense. All of this can be neatly understood as that characters personality.

For example, we could have a story about a black kid who was born and raised in Chicago. His backstory could be that he was born into an impoverished family and lived in a bad neighborhood and that he got involved with a gang because of it. Lets say that he's a closet homosexual just to add some flare to it. So we have an impoverished closeted homosexual black gang-banger born and raised on the streets of Chicago. Are you interested in the character yet? I'm not because I know what the character is, but I don't know who the character is. I have no idea how they feel about their lot in life or how they think of the world. I have no clue what that character wants out of life or how he's going to get it. This is why personality is paramount when it comes to character depth, everything else is just window dressing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I couldn't give a rat's ass about this subject. What makes a great game for me is great mechanics, goals, artwork and story. Not if the hero is african or gay.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Coronius View Post
    Unsurprisingly, OP became hostile when people politely questioned his or her intentions. That is how the Tumblr/SJW/Perpetually-Offended generation works; Opinions other than their are offensive, which makes you racist/sexist/transphobic/"some other bullshit slur that lost its meaning years ago".
    Then again, it is the current year so we should expect that.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada,we've got freedom too, except we don't pretend to be american when we travel.
    yep because forget loving what makes you, yourself. am i right
    Uhh...have you tried just getting a mirror or taking selfies? Then you could stand around loving yourself all day without shitting all over normal entertainment.
    Because I hate you, I hate what you stand for, and I hate what you are trying to do to video games. Which point blank, is to take the fun and entertainment out of it, and use it as a vehicle for your own diversity agenda.
    I don't hate diversity to be clear, I just hate that you feel it needs to be rammed into everything everywhere.
    Because last I checked, games aren't about you loving who you are, they are about the game, and playing it, seeing the developers vision, NOT your circus sideshow of ethics.
    wtf is wrong with you anyways?
    Couldn't find anyone to give a shit about your plight irl and had to bring it to the videogame community?
    I don't care if overwatch is diverse of not, but your post makes me wish we could purge you from this planet.
    "There are other sites on the internet designed for people to make friends or relationships. This isn't one" Darsithis Super Moderator
    Proof that the mmochamp community can be a bitter and lonely place. What a shame.

10+ Year Old Account
    I sexually identify as an apache helicopter. Blizzard better cater to my sex. Diversity after all

15+ Year Old Account
    "Overwatch is Street Fighter with guns" perfectly describes the game's cast of "world warriors."

It's a pretty old concept as far as fighting games go. You create a cast with lots of diverse characteristics so that all players can find one that appeals to them.
    Last edited by Kathranis; 2016-05-22 at 02:39 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like having a diverse cast. Much better than "angry caucasian male stereotypes #s 1-22".

Quote Originally Posted by Aeilon View Post
    If a character is made and happens to be gay because that's how he was thought of from the ground up, great!

If a character is made for the purpose of having a gay character to make it more diverse, than you can go f yourself as a developer.
    The central issue here is that you see the "default" setting to be X, for a character, so there has to be a "reason" to deviate from that default. Typically, that means "caucasian dude in his 20s or 30s". By your argument, if the character's a woman, that has to be "important to the story", when it WASN'T important that he was a man, in the first place. Same for being gay, when being hetero was irrelevant, or black, when there's no reason he has to be white in the first place.

You don't need "reasons" for a character to be a teenage black lesbian rather than a 25 year old straight white dude. She is who she is. That's the story being told. Why do you have an issue with that? Why aren't you asking for the same justifications for more stereotypical characters?

Hell, in a lot of cases, you should be able to flip a character's gender or orientation or ethnicity, and have little to no effect on the story, unless that story's focused on that characteristic. Particularly if it's in a sci-fi/fantasy setting, where you can determine how much any of that "matters", culturally speaking. For instance, take Spider-man. Imagine he was a brand-new character with no history whatsoever, just introduced in Captain America: Civil War. Why would it "matter" that Parker's a white dude with a girlfriend? How is his story really all that different if he's a hispanic girl with the same girlfriend? Or a black girl with a boyfriend named Marty Jay? None of these factors are particularly relevant to Spider-man, and the central themes of power and responsibility. Which is why Ultimate Spidey dying and the mantle being taken up by a hispanic kid named Miles Morales worked so well. Because Parker's being white wasn't a factor to Spiderman. If anything, being a minority makes the "hated for the good he does" theme a little sharper.

They also included all kinds of lame, over-used stereotypes

I think I speak for the majority here when I say. I couldnt give a flying fuck about race, sexuality or country of origin.
    Indeed, most do feel that way.

All the more reason to put effort into it.

The people who don't care, don't care either way. Those who do care get what they want, and the few people for whom it is really important or empowering to see somebody like themselves being a hero in a video game have that opportunity.
    “Nostalgia was like a disease, one that crept in and stole the colour from the world and the time you lived in. Made for bitter people. Dangerous people, when they wanted back what never was.” -- Steven Erikson, The Crippled God

Can't wait for when the social justice craze dies out by the end of the year. Such a childish, over exaggerated movement by people with too much time trying to create issues where there are none.

In times such as these where racism and sexism and fascism are quickly regrowing in society, diversity is perfect to combat it!
    They certainly are growing. BLM and Feminism are the proof, them being racist and sexist respectively.
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidz View Post
    You are making it a political statement.

Maybe Blizzard just wanted to include a gay character, because, you know, they exist?
    I am not talking about what blizzard did but what people are saying on the web.

I am certainly not making it a political statement. I am doing the exact opposite. i am trying to let things be what they are. A game is a game. Let it be a game. Thats not making it a political statement at all

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I like having a diverse cast. Much better than "angry caucasian male stereotypes #s 1-22".

The central issue here is that you see the "default" setting to be X, for a character, so there has to be a "reason" to deviate from that default. Typically, that means "caucasian dude in his 20s or 30s". By your argument, if the character's a woman, that has to be "important to the story", when it WASN'T important that he was a man, in the first place. Same for being gay, when being hetero was irrelevant, or black, when there's no reason he has to be white in the first place.

You don't need "reasons" for a character to be a teenage black lesbian rather than a 25 year old straight white dude. She is who she is. That's the story being told. Why do you have an issue with that? Why aren't you asking for the same justifications for more stereotypical characters?

Hell, in a lot of cases, you should be able to flip a character's gender or orientation or ethnicity, and have little to no effect on the story, unless that story's focused on that characteristic. Particularly if it's in a sci-fi/fantasy setting, where you can determine how much any of that "matters", culturally speaking. For instance, take Spider-man. Imagine he was a brand-new character with no history whatsoever, just introduced in Captain America: Civil War. Why would it "matter" that Parker's a white dude with a girlfriend? How is his story really all that different if he's a hispanic girl with the same girlfriend? Or a black girl with a boyfriend named Marty Jay? None of these factors are particularly relevant to Spider-man, and the central themes of power and responsibility. Which is why Ultimate Spidey dying and the mantle being taken up by a hispanic kid named Miles Morales worked so well. Because Parker's being white wasn't a factor to Spiderman. If anything, being a minority makes the "hated for the good he does" theme a little sharper.
    A cast can be diverse without fleshing it its sexual orientation.

They could all be gay, or none of them. Thats ok. I honestly dont need to know that tracer loves the D or that Reinhardt has bi. It can be left up to the imagination.

Edit:
    To flesh out my thoughts a bit.
    Telling people well Tracer is homosexual is like saying "Hey Look! The monkey is a black man!". Its just not needed. Some things are just better left up to the imagination
    Last edited by mmocfe2bab4c21; 2016-05-22 at 03:23 AM.

Bet you they will patch in transgender bathrooms too