Page 1 of 12
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Thumbs up Refugee Kids Succeed In School if Supported new study shows

Despite some struggles with mental health issues, refugee children are capable of achieving similar academic success as non-refugee children if adequately supported, according to a new comprehensive review published in the journal Pediatrics.

And while emotional and behavioral problems were more common among refugee children, particularly those under the age of 10, the findings show that internalized issues, such as anxiety and depression, were more prevalent than external outbursts that affect classmates, such as aggression or hyperactivity.

“Despite the thousands of refugees resettled annually, there isn’t a lot of research exploring learning challenges of refugee children and no research at all on autism spectrum disorder, language impairments or dyslexia,” said Dr. Ripudaman Minhas, an author of the study and a developmental pediatrician at St. Michael’s Hospital.

“However, the existing evidence suggests that children of refugee backgrounds have the potential to perform just as well as their peers when provided with supportive resources and even have similar rates of high school completion.”

Researchers from St. Michael’s Hospital and the Royal Children’s Hospital in Melbourne, Australia, looked at data from 34 studies on learning difficulties in refugee children to identify gaps in knowledge, risk factors for lower academic outcomes and resources for success.

They found tremendous gaps — especially in early childhood data — with almost no research on refugee children in low and middle-income countries, despite 86 percent of refugees settling in those areas.

The researchers discovered that faculty in both primary and secondary schools tend to have lower expectations of refugee children. They also found that academic success among refugee children was almost always associated with supportive peer relationships
    ; however, refugee children have quite a bit of difficulty forming such relationships and frequently experience bullying, racism, and discrimination.

There is also a higher incidence of attention-deficit hyperactive disorder (ADHD) in refugee children whose parents experienced trauma, compared to those whose parents did not experience trauma. Approximately 90 percent of children diagnosed with ADHD also met criteria for post-traumatic stress disorder, or PTSD.

With the arrival of 25,000 Syrian refugees in Canada, many of them children, Minhas said it’s important for communities to be aware that a child’s experiences in early life significantly affect development potential, relationships, and their ability to navigate and succeed in society.

“Many refugees settled in developing or developed countries have fled situations of war, discrimination or trauma — often void of basic human rights, including consistent access to education,” said Minhas.

“Although it’s clear that refugee children’s pre-migration experiences influence their learning and can cause difficulties, some of the most important factors for success occur in the post-migration environment, many of which can be addressed in the country of settlement.”

For educators, Minhas emphasizes that refugee children be monitored and supported in light of any traumatic experiences they may have encountered. They also encourage two-way communication between educators and students for increased academic success.
    http://psychcentral.com/news/2016/05...ed/103638.html

Great study here that I thought I would share.

From a world renowned research centre here in Canada. As we can see, it's really up to the countries taking in these refugees to put them in the position to succeed.

Why is this news? xD

In other words, the best predictor of academic success is engagement.
    Whoever loves let him flourish. / Let him perish who knows not love. / Let him perish twice who forbids love. - Pompeii

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post

From a world renowned research centre here in Canada. As we can see, it's really up to the countries taking in these refugees to put them in the position to succeed.
    There is a flip side to that

In any given school like environment or country there is a limit to how much support can in fact be given. So the flip side is that in order to give refugee kids a fair chance to succeed there may be a limit to the amount of refugees a given community or country should have.

Quote Originally Posted by De thuong View Post
    Why is this news? xD
    I assume it's here to offset the xenophobic stories about refugees we see every day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

How much does it cost and how many of our own kids could have been supported by the same measures/resources?

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    I mean don't most kids who get support succeed? They needed a study to prove this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    How much does it cost and how many of our own kids could have been supported by the same measures/resources?
    That and how many of your own kids will get overlooked at colleges because of all the minority refugee kids?

That's because the average age of a refugee kid is 27.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Merkava View Post
    That's because the average age of a refugee kid is 27.
    This is false. Please stop spreading hate speech.

How is that hate speech?

10+ Year Old Account
    Not really, 48% of Syrian refugees are between the ages of 25 and 54. That calling his number hate speech makes you sound stupid, you should probably look up the age demographics of the Syrian refugees before making stupid comments like that.
    http://www.cpa.ca/docs/File/Cultural...%20Profile.pdf
    Last edited by vindicatorx; 2016-05-23 at 06:07 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    Not really, 48% of Syrian refugees are between the ages of 25 and 54.
    Then they ain't kids ain't they?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by De thuong View Post
    Why is this news? xD
    "They'll never integrate into society!"
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    Then they ain't kids ain't they?
    to be fair the "study" says of the kids that are 10 and under they succeed.

Strange, I thought suppressing kids from anywhere made them succeed in school. Who knew support helps?
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

If anyone spreads hate speech, its you.

OT: Doesn't this study make perfect sense?

Well, in all seriousness, the study says they do just as good, "if supported." Does it really say how much support, and exactly what type of support? Not to be cynical, although I often am, to me it sounds a little like saying "Roofs with holes work just as good as regular roofs if the holes are fixed."

Will you pay your own money for those 30yrs old "kids"?

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    "They'll never integrate into society!"
    Good grades (by regurgitating simplified knowledge) does not equate integration into society. Let alone that 25k refugees - In what? 2 years? - hardly allow to paint a picture in regards to integration for either narrative.

This isnt news at all. We had several immigrant pupils in our class that succeeded together with us.