Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Stop caring what your parents think so much.
    And for the record, your dad is right. I raced motocross for 10 years and I don't have and probably will never get a street bike. It's not you, it's everyone else. All it takes is a soccer mom in a van not checking her blind spots and merging without signalling and you are paste on a highway.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would not worry about it.

You will probably be dead soon anyway.

whats more important to me

my relationship with my family

or

my image to people who dont know or care about me

obviously the latter

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, just prove him wrong. At least he is worried about you though, just talk to him like an adult and thank him for worrying but promise to ride safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Twix View Post
    I bought myself a motorcycle and my dad is freaking out. He keeps saying that I will kill myself. I don't know what to tell him in order to calm him down. My mom is not worried too much but my dad is out of control. What do you guys think? Is he justified in his reaction?
    Yep. Get rid of that thing.

A lot depends on where you live and such but too many accidents happen with very bad results on a motorcycle. I had a friend from High School lose control hit a light pole and get instantly killed. One of my sisters friends was hit by a car and is now paralyzed from the neck down. A guy I used to ride with slid off a ramp and is now paralyzed from the neck down.

I missed riding but where I live Bmore/DC area its just not safe. Everyone wants to race you or doesnt like the fact that youre on a motorcycle. I got cutt off and almost went off the side of the road. Thats when I decided to hang it up.

I sold the bike to a guy that told me it was his first bike. He told me that he was just going to ride around the block and such to get used to it. The first day he had it, he wrecked and totaled it.

Talk to anyone that works in an emergency room. Loads of people coming in everyday with injuries from riding a motorcycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    Honestly, just prove him wrong.
    How? Out live him?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Pop a wheelie in front of him.

Use seatbelt, should be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Trumpcloak View Post
    People on this site hate everything. Keep that in mind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    How? Out live him?
    I guess...?

Your father is right. My brother was a perfect biker for years and he had a fatal crash due to a faulty road with his 600CC Honda CBR, and my mother was as furious as your dad is.

Quote Originally Posted by Twix View Post
    I bought myself a motorcycle and my dad is freaking out. He keeps saying that I will kill myself. I don't know what to tell him in order to calm him down. My mom is not worried too much but my dad is out of control. What do you guys think? Is he justified in his reaction?
    I can understand the concern, people to me are driving worse than ever these days thanks to distracted driving, I can't even tell you how many accidents I prevented, it's not yourself you usually have to worry about it's other people, this is the only reason I don't have a bike.....

That and I lost my father and uncle to motorcycle accidents, neither was their fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    I guess...?
    No I just mean its one of those things that the only way to prove him wrong would be to *never* have an accident (its almost entirely likely that you will be more injured from the same accident if you're on a bike than in a car), and that's gonna last up until one of them dies

I think the Dad is overreacting in as much as I think his methods of communicating his concerns aren't very effective maybe; but I generally feel like his concerns are absolutely justified. I don't think bikers are any less competent drivers than car drivers, if anything I'd suspect they are far better drivers. But they still have to share the road with people in cars, and people in cars are often times fucking morons. Thats why they make them so safe; someone at some point is going to be checking their phone or just basically not paying attention and they're gonna drive into you like a chump.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

15+ Year Old Account
    Prove him wrong by not driving like an idiot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just show him that you can drive a motorcicle withoud dying

Jokes aside, don't bother, parents are like that, they worry about their little kids, even if you are 50 years old with 8 kids, you will always be their little kids that should be protected

Deleted
    Sell the motorcycle and go buy some candy like a good kid. Then watch some anime and go to sleep.

Motorcycles are for manly men.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Motorcycle accidents are caused by lack of experience or often stupid drivers both on their bikes and those in cars.. Take some riding courses and stay off highways until you are comfortable. A lot of bikers are reckless on the highways and think because they are small and can accelerate fast, that they can go anywhere cars can't.

Kids do stupid shit and can't be trusted when you give them something that goes fast. Combine that with the idiots on the road that aren't paying attention...just a recipe for disaster.

Wasn't you the guy who created a thread about getting kicked out of the house for no reason while getting a+ math grades in school?
    I guess you have a need to come up with a new lie and make it a thread once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Motorcycle accidents are caused by lack of experience or often stupid drivers both on their bikes and those in cars.. Take some riding courses and stay off highways until you are comfortable. A lot of bikers are reckless on the highways and think because they are small and can accelerate fast, that they can go anywhere cars can't.
    I'm currently enrolled in a motorcycle course (around 30 hours of practice). I will not be using highways this summer. I will mostly use it to go to university (around 15min drive).

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    How does that protect you when there are a million other idiots on the road in tanks(comparatively) that could easily kill you?
    I always take the approach on the road "If they can hit you, they will hit you."

Assume everybody else on the road is a moron and doesn't care about anything.