Page 1 of 12
... LastLast

Woman trying to prove ‘vegans can do anything’ among four dead on Mount Everest

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...r-frostbitten/

Woman trying to prove ‘vegans can do anything’ among four dead on Mount Everest
    By Travis M. Andrews
    May 23 at 8:43 AM
    For Maria Strydom and her husband, Robert Gropel, climbing Everest while adhering to a strict vegan diet was their “own personal Everest.”

The 34-year-old Strydom, a lecturer at Monash Business School in Melbourne, Australia, had a message she wanted to share with the world: Veganism is not a handicap...
    “A very experienced guide in Alaska once told us that of all the things you can regret once you are on the mountain, you will never regret overtraining,” Strydom said before the climb. “It is also important to get experience spending long periods on a mountain.”

Everest, though, proved unscalable for them. The couple reached Camp 4, the final camp, at 3,000 feet below the summit, before both suffered from altitude sickness. It caused fluid to build up in Strydom’s brain, which killed her Saturday. Gropel, alive but fighting a fluid buildup in his lungs, had to be taken down the mountain by sled, the Sydney Morning Herald reported. He was taken to a hospital in Kathmandu, Nepal.

At least the first combat veteran amputee made it 10 years after the 1st amputee.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...mount-everest/
    People are unused to truth.
    People follow consistent truth.
    Respect the power and impact of truth.
    Men who speak truth drive value.

Deleted
    Well... that's sad. Pretty young as well.
    I don't think their diet meant much in here... or did it?

Does diet affect altitude sickness?
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

So, 4 people died and 1 of them was vegan? Clearly it was her vegan diet that killed her!

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    My question as well.

Also why are people so insistent on climbing that damn rock..? The cost and danger along with barely any fame. I just don't get it, it's probably not even worth the usual "nothing of value was lost" comment.

This mount everest "mass" tourism is just horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelinrah View Post
    So, 4 people died and 1 of them was vegan? Clearly it was her vegan diet that killed her!
    The point was she was on the mountain because she was trying to prove that vegans can do anything.
    So if she wasn't out trying to be self righteous she would be alive right now. Well maybe not, I mean anyone can die at any time.

7+ Year Old Account
    I dont think changing tofu for venison can save you in the Everest.
    "You can wear whatever costume you want for Halloween and it's totally cool but here's a list of costumes I'll shame you for and call you sexist and racist if you do wear them"
    - Laci Green 2015.

I guess vegans can do anything, including dying on the side of a mountain.

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    May she rest in peace

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    a steak in the morning saves you from altitude sickness \o/

sad death. RIP

but as humans we have EVOLVED to need meat. veggies, fruits, nuts, those are great for our diet too. but goddamn it, we're hunters! eat meat!
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

I don't think the thread was intended to be an attack on vegans.

Rather that her touting the climb as "proving that vegans can do anything" would be viewed by skeptics and others as proof that she was wrong.
    STRESS
    The confusion caused when one's mind
    overrides the body's basic
    desire to choke the living shit out of
    some jerk who desperately needs it

10+ Year Old Account
    Everest is just crazy.

I'm all for pushing yourself but Everest is a bit much lol
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    My question as well.

Also why are people so insistent on climbing that damn rock..? The cost and danger along with barely any fame. I just don't get it, it's probably not even worth the usual "nothing of value was lost" comment.
    Personal challenge? I mean you ARE climbing on top of the world...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Icoblablubb View Post
    a steak in the morning saves you from altitude sickness \o/
    All guides recommend a nice juicy steak and chips before climbing the everest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Diet affects most things. Altitude sickness is a biological phenomenon, so I could see a premise for an effect there.

Lesson learnt, I've proceeded to make this:

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    Lesson learnt, I've proceeded to make this:

You're probably going to end up in a similar way if you go through that thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    Diet affects most things. Altitude sickness is a biological phenomenon, so I could see a premise for an effect there.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altitude_sickness

Diet has fuck-all to do with it.

It's more a case of people too damn stupid to take oxygen to mt. everest when you really really reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally need to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Lover View Post
    The point was she was on the mountain because she was trying to prove that vegans can do anything.
    So if she wasn't out trying to be self righteous she would be alive right now. Well maybe not, I mean anyone can die at any time.
    I really don't see that as being self-righteous.