Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Denkou View Post
    Ever heard of RNG? That mace might not drop again for a long time. The other melee DPS in the group might be 1H users, and the mace would go to waste.

I'm all for adding new challenges into the game but this is not the way to do it.
    Raider X isn't after the mace. He's after the 2H Sword.

Although it's super likely that there would be another 2Hnder in the group, even if there wasn't, the mace can always be used for disenchanting or selling for gold. Hell, Blizzard could even add something to do with Blacksmithing to break down gear. (Unless this exists?)

Deleted
    I think "combat skills" system would be better if it did not add anything passively. Zero and maxed out combat skill player would have the same efficiency on normal play, but maxed out weapon skill would add a weapon specific extra ability. Nothing overpowered, simply something to give flavor. I'd be fine if it was simply a cosmetic thing, like weapon specific flourish. I like small details like that in mmorpgs, games that are supposed to be vast and long running hobby, to give those little special features to people who stay long enough with the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jurassic4LIFE View Post
    Raider X isn't after the mace. He's after the 2H Sword.

Although it's super likely that there would be another 2Hnder in the group, even if there wasn't, the mace can always be used for disenchanting or selling for gold. Hell, Blizzard could even add something to do with Blacksmithing to break down gear. (Unless this exists?)
    So now Raider X has to pass on a weapon that is statistically an upgrade because he has a different weapon skill maxxed out than the item that dropped.

Yeah, no. Sorry, but I don't agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Izzyel View Post
    I think "combat skills" system would be better if it did not add anything passively. Zero and maxed out combat skill player would have the same efficiency on normal play, but maxed out weapon skill would add a weapon specific extra ability. Nothing overpowered, simply something to give flavor. I'd be fine if it was simply a cosmetic thing, like weapon specific flourish. I like small details like that in mmorpgs, games that are supposed to be vast and long running hobby, to give those little special features to people who stay long enough with the game.
    I do like this idea. So is it like that if you maxed out your 1H Sword, you'd have a special ability, but not if you then equipped a 1H Axe? The only real problem I see here, is that on the next expansion, when the levels are boosted, you'd lose this ability, leaving players feelings robbed..

UNLESS. Blizzard added a system where you could choose at least 1 of the weapon skills to max out during leveling and to keep at max level.. The others you have to work for.

I remember buying some shit level 1 grey from the AH and just auto attacking something and going afk..

Thoughts?
    "Cauzalisation" lol. The use of dumb terms like this makes a bad argument sound even worse.

Weapon skill sucks. Absolutely unnecessary, adds absolutely nothing to the game, doesn't have a reason to be there, since choice of weapon type is completely unimportant in WoW (except the few cases where talents require the use of a certain weapon type). It doesn't matter one bit whether you're using an axe or a mace, what's the point of having to "master" either of them? It's nonsense. The only thing it did - other than bore people to death - is to prevent people from using their newly acquired upgrades.

Which leaves me wondering how on earth someone would want that back. It just doesn't make sense, there's no intelligent position that would support that.

Even if the weapon choice aspect in WoW changed radically, and weapons suddenly had different effects and usages, so that some kind of "mastery" actually made sense, there would still be 148560574 ways to implement the attainment of this skill in a better, more interesting and engaging way than a dumb "weapon skill" that you fill up by mindlessly hitting mobs for long periods of time.

And I can't believe I actually have to point this out: artifact leveling ...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    Yes, doing really trivial things added "depth" to the game...

Plus you've forgotten that Hit and Expertise have been removed, rendering weapon skills pointless.
    Defense rating says hey, too.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    I got [Did Somebody Order a Knuckle Sandwich?] from punching baby mammoths in Dragonblight.
    Howling Fjord for me, and it was also mammoths. Isn't it nice how you remember specifics like this lol. I remember watching it go from 0-100 really quickly, then slow and slow and slow until you hit about level 350 and it became intolerable.

Quote Originally Posted by Pull My Finger View Post
    "Cauzalisation" lol. The use of dumb terms like this makes a bad argument sound even worse.

Weapon skill sucks. Absolutely unnecessary, adds absolutely nothing to the game, doesn't have a reason to be there, since choice of weapon type is completely unimportant in WoW (except the few cases where talents require the use of a certain weapon type). It doesn't matter one bit whether you're using an axe or a mace, what's the point of having to "master" either of them? It's nonsense. The only thing it did - other than bore people to death - is to prevent people from using their newly acquired upgrades.

Which leaves me wondering how on earth someone would want that back. It just doesn't make sense, there's no intelligent position that would support that.

Even if the weapon choice aspect in WoW changed radically, and weapons suddenly had different effects and usages, so that some kind of "mastery" actually made sense, there would still be 148560574 ways to implement the attainment of this skill in a better, more interesting and engaging way than a dumb "weapon skill" that you fill up by mindlessly hitting mobs for long periods of time.

And I can't believe I actually have to point this out: artifact leveling ...
    Good point. Perhaps I shouldn't have used that term. I actually agree. I don't agree this is a bad argument.

If you would have read the previous posts thoroughly, you'd see that I have noted two of your problems.

No, it wouldn't be filled up by mindlessly hitting mobs. You would still have to fight current level mobs to level it, so if you're mindlessly playing, you'll probably die.

Artifact Leveling? Neat. But Blizzard said Artifacts are gone AFTER LEGION.. Which I clearly stated, would be a much better time to add this function than during Legion.

Deleted
    That's one path you -can- take.
    It would be either that path or "Sorry, no raid for you until you max out all your combat skills". Why should anyone carry you to your precious axe because you refuse to level your mace or sword skill?

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
    It would be either that path or "Sorry, no raid for you until you max out all your combat skills". Why should anyone carry you to your precious axe because you refuse to level your mace or sword skill?
    As said already.. If you can successfully run the raid once, you can do it again.

If people are choosing to carry an inadequately geared player to skip the 2nd upgrade of 3 in terms of raid difficulty and gear stats that come along with it, then that's up to them.

I'd wager most people aren't as cruel as you expect, and are willing to accept a perfectly able raider to advance through raiding, JUST as they are trying to do. Because yea, I agree. An inadequately geared raider shouldn't be asking for help from strangers to get better gear.

And I say strangers, because this addition, I think, would also give a better reason to make friends within a guild or raiding team. People who actually want to help you. Raiding is supposed to be a social experience, whether people like that or not.

You know what was awesome as a Combat Rogue back then

"Oh look that mace has better stats...to bad I HAVE to have a sword because sword spec is just THAT much better then that actual upgrade of a mace!"
    or "Oh look a 2 Handed Axe for my warrior...man too bad my Axe skill is shit"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippery Gypsy View Post
    How is auto attacking random mobs for hours on end to get max proficiency with a weapon good gameplay or enjoyable? Genuinely intrigued here.
    Pretty much this. But then again, he didnt play during vanilla / TBC, so it maybe he havent done it enough to really hate it :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippery Gypsy View Post
    How is auto attacking random mobs for hours on end to get max proficiency with a weapon good gameplay or enjoyable? Genuinely intrigued here.
    You know, you do have a point, but 100% of the things they've removed from the game have that same excuse, and now it does feel kinda gutted and streamlined. Sure it's a pain in the ass, but that kinda makes it special.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterymask View Post
    You know what was awesome as a Combat Rogue back then

"Oh look that mace has better stats...to bad I HAVE to have a sword because sword spec is just THAT much better then that actual upgrade of a mace!"
    or "Oh look a 2 Handed Axe for my warrior...man too bad my Axe skill is shit"
    you know, I actually kinda miss that.
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

Quote Originally Posted by roahn the warlock View Post
    You know, you do have a point, but 100% of the things they've removed from the game have that same excuse, and now it does feel kinda gutted and streamlined. Sure it's a pain in the ass, but that kinda makes it special.

- - - Updated - - -

you know, I actually kinda miss that.
    THANK YOU. I'm honestly glad it's not me VS the world(ofwarcraft) here.

Deleted
    Everything that can be said has already been said, I think. But yes, weapon skill levelling does seem to be redundant now.

Whilst having to take a long journey to a capital city (Like running from Thunder Bluff to Undercity) for weapon training was a memorable experience, it's not something that I necessarily want back in the game. Having to train up every new type of weapon you got was a huge, mundane chore. If you like grindy, hours long activities like that, great. But I don't think it should've been mandatory.

10+ Year Old Account
    It was incredibly tedious. There's pride and respect for every grind,in my opinion,but I don't miss that one.

It is interesting,though. Grinds add to the feeling of accomplishment when they're over,and are a classic part of MMOs.

15+ Year Old Account
    It definitely gave the game some longetivity.

15+ Year Old Account
    NO
    FUCKING
    WAY
    Weapon skills were the most pointless idiocy this game ever had. Even back in classic I failed to see their point because there wasn't any.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eon Drache View Post
    I remember buying some shit level 1 grey from the AH and just auto attacking something and going afk..
    I remember leaving my char there for hours, together with a guildie's paladin who supplied some healing seal to make sure we stay alive

The Lightbringer Archmage Alodi's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm glade they are gone.
    THE HORDE WILL ENDURE
    THE HORDE IS STRONG!