Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    I don't think anyone said that's why she died
    Seemed like the message was that her diet didn't give her the same strength or whatever it would have if it was a normal one, so she couldn't handle it.

If I'm wrong I'm wrong though.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    To die for such a stupid cause that wouldn't change any ones mind.

"Hey she doesn't eat meat and can climb a mountain with a guide, sign me up!"

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think anyone said that's why she died
    I'm claiming that it could easily be a contributing factor.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    Lesson learnt, I've proceeded to make this:

Looks like some Mcdonalds burgers slammed together. It will get you full, maybe even nauseous, but you could do better. :P

I guess that particular vegan couldn't. What a way to find out she's wrong.

Pretty sure diet had nothing to do with them dying. Also, I know plenty of Vegans who are in way better shape and stronger than non-Vegans.

Not sure what you are trying to get at OP, but it's silly either way.

Veganism is a fad, won't be long before the idiots go back to eating like they're meant to.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by CMartel View Post
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...r-frostbitten/

Woman trying to prove ‘vegans can do anything’ among four dead on Mount Everest
    By Travis M. Andrews
    May 23 at 8:43 AM
    For Maria Strydom and her husband, Robert Gropel, climbing Everest while adhering to a strict vegan diet was their “own personal Everest.”

The 34-year-old Strydom, a lecturer at Monash Business School in Melbourne, Australia, had a message she wanted to share with the world: Veganism is not a handicap...
    “A very experienced guide in Alaska once told us that of all the things you can regret once you are on the mountain, you will never regret overtraining,” Strydom said before the climb. “It is also important to get experience spending long periods on a mountain.”

Everest, though, proved unscalable for them. The couple reached Camp 4, the final camp, at 3,000 feet below the summit, before both suffered from altitude sickness. It caused fluid to build up in Strydom’s brain, which killed her Saturday. Gropel, alive but fighting a fluid buildup in his lungs, had to be taken down the mountain by sled, the Sydney Morning Herald reported. He was taken to a hospital in Kathmandu, Nepal.

At least the first combat veteran amputee made it 10 years after the 1st amputee.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...mount-everest/
    How is this worth talking about? Why is her veganism relevant? Do you just wanna bash vegans cus HURR DURR I EAT MEAT LIKE REAL MAN or what is going on here?

Quote Originally Posted by Sinyc View Post
    Pretty sure diet had nothing to do with them dying. Also, I know plenty of Vegans who are in way better shape and stronger than non-Vegans.

Not sure what you are trying to get at OP, but it's silly either way.
    Yes, some people are out of shape. That doesn't mean anything though.

You being pretty sure diet had nothing to do with them dying means you make assertions from ignorance. I've already shown in this thread how diet could have had something to do with their dying. I'm not asserting that it did, but it easily could have been a contributing factor.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    How is this worth talking about? Why is her veganism relevant? Do you just wanna bash vegans cus HURR DURR I EAT MEAT LIKE REAL MAN or what is going on here?
    Because, as I've shown, diet can affect how well you acclimate. A strict vegan diet isn't exactly easy to maintain in nepal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zmago View Post
    Looks like some Mcdonalds burgers slammed together. It will get you full, maybe even nauseous, but you could do better. :P
    Yeah, if you're going to make something that crazy and custom, seems odd to make your burger patties 1/4 inch thick. Use real burger patties, not fast food patties that cook in 30 seconds but have no real flavor.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Wow mmo-champ you guys are doing it wrong! Instead of having a click bait of anti-veganism you should be complaining about those damn dirty casuals who are trying to make the mountaineering game more accessible!

But really the issue is the whole mountaineering tourism industry trying to get people like this who want to prove something who have no place to be on that mountain. While by 20k+ standards Everest is an "easy climb" but that is like saying in wow "oh well mythic fel lord is easy" and grab some /popcorn when people who are not familiar with the fight get lit up.

To me places like Everest should only be done by people who know what they are doing. Plus the whole environmental issues with increased traffic I would really like to see less people do it personally considering how dangerous that place actually is.

It's not a "great" movie but this issue is basically discussed in depth from last year's Everest which I suggest is worth a rent or torrent.

Deleted
    People are all aware of the risks and it's their own choice.

Almost all of the food taken on up on Everest is preserved/dried and is mainly carbs. I dont think the diet had much to do with her death and only became a thing because she proclaimed that she was doing this to prove a "vegan can do anything". I would bet theres already been a vegan/vegetarian thats already climbed it. Everest is an endurance event. There a quite a few Ultra Endurance vegan athletes.

Deleted
    Everyone needs to copy the Sherpa diet, those beasts are the ones carrying all the equipment while the one that paid them struggles to stay alive long enough for a photo.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortan Rich View Post
    Everyone needs to copy the Sherpa diet, those beasts are the ones carrying all the equipment while the one that paid them struggles to stay alive long enough for a photo.
    People who grow up in mountainous regions are just better adapted to function with lower oxygen levels by default though. It has nothing to do with any magical diet or training they have.

Like for example I was born and raised in the red river valley. (750 feet elevation). I remember going to the San Luis valley in Colorado which is 7600 feet in the low areas. It takes a while to become acclimated to even walk around without feeling a little wonky.

The Everest base camp is 17,590 feet. So yeah... The people who live there are at a decided advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortan Rich View Post
    Sherpa diet is mainly plant based. Plus they live up there and are acclimatized with the altitude. Also, they rarely goto the summit, electing to almost always stay at Camp 4. There are many famous climbers that havent made it past camp 4. Everest is no joke. K2 is even worse. Ive never been into extreme climbing, I dont understand what people get from it. Unfortunately, nobody knows how their body is going to react at those kind of altitudes until they are up there. Sadly for those 4, they could not handle it and lost their life because of it.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumkin View Post
    red meat is a rich source of hemoglobin, hemoglobin is a protein that transports oxygen, so yea i think her vegan diet had alot to do with it
    Yeah for sure... You should probably read a bit on biology before making this kind of stupid statement... it's like saying you should eat bones to have stronger bones or you should eat brain to be smarter. Guess what, that's not how it works.

This is just an other sad Everest story, many people die on this mountain every year vegans or not. R.I.P

Dumb headline, and people actually are using it as an argument against vegans. What about all the meat eaters that have died climbing mount Everest? Interesting how much cognitive dissonance is brought up when people argue against vegans.

Quote Originally Posted by djar View Post
    Dumb headline, and people actually are using it as an argument against vegans. What about all the meat eaters that have died climbing mount Everest? Interesting how much cognitive dissonance is brought up when people argue against vegans.
    thats not cognitive dissonance

using the wrong term is gonna make you seem stupid

even if your point is valid

I think I will stick to the bacon. If we are all going to die of something, it might as well be bacon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by djar View Post
    It's not for an argument against the vegan diet, it's against the annoying fucks that are vegans. If she would have just shut up about how her diet is better than everyone else's she wouldn't have had to climb death mountain to prove anything to anyone. I don't care what people eat, but if you try to change my eating habits because you're a fanatic, I hope you die doing something stupid.
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.