Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    We likely won't see 64-bit hp values, we can just start losing accuracy in 54th bit (and WoW might very well die before we start doing that), 64-bit values can be processed with a 32-bit client on a 32-bit proc, and you are person #3800945 who are making this error.
    Seriously.

Reminds me of a couple years ago, when my apartment building told me I couldn't mount an air conditioner in the window because it blocked the fire escape. Friend of mine goes "just put it on a chair inside your apartment and point it at you, it'll still work".

Yeah. Dumbass.

We likely won't see 64-bit hp values, we can just start losing accuracy in 54th bit (and WoW might very well die before we start doing that), 64-bit values can be processed with a 32-bit client on a 32-bit proc, and you are person #3800945 who are making this error.
    Educate yourself.
    I'm talking about perfs here, if you want to use 64-bit values on a 32-bit client, you just double the proc cycles. Blizzard is this kind of optimization.

Quote Originally Posted by Plastkin View Post
    In what way? If they support 9e15 as a Blizzard employee has confirmed, it's either a 64 bit integer or a double.
    "right now" as in "on live".

i hope this means they aren't going to be doing many more squishes in the future.

i LOVE big numbers. it's like something sparkly.

Deleted
    1, 10, 100, 1000.. lots of hp.

Quote Originally Posted by Kourvith View Post
    Educate yourself.
    I'm talking about perfs here, if you want to use 64-bit values on a 32-bit client, you just double the proc cycles. Blizzard is this kind of optimization.
    ROFLMAO

Perfs. Stop talking about things you don't understand.

Those "perfs" you have in mind - if you even have something specific enough to discuss in mind - are immaterial, combat math is done in floating-point to begin with, <a hundred other things nullifying it all>.
    Last edited by rda; 2016-05-24 at 05:44 PM.

ROFLMAO

Perfs. Stop talking about things you don't understand.

Those "perfs" you have in mind - if you even have something specific enough to discuss in mind - are immaterial, combat math is done in floating-point to begin with, .
    you really think that choosing 64-bit architecture only caters to some int structures hp ? you're funny.

you really think that choosing 64-bit architecture only caters to some int structures hp ? you're funny.
    No, I don't, and your non-sequitur is there because you are trying to sound smart.

The extent of your knowledge about hw architectures is this - "64-bit hp values ... would force everyone to run the 64-bit client (and run a 64-bit proc)".

No, I don't, and your non-sequitur is there because you are trying to sound smart.

The extent of your knowledge about hw architectures is this - "64-bit hp values ... would force everyone to run the 64-bit client (and run a 64-bit proc)".
    trying to sound smart , you mean like mixing rolfmaos and latin expressions ?

What you don't seem to get is that for a huge architecture like wow, you don't just go to your tech leader and ask "hey man, could we just use a bit of 64-bit here and there ? I'm having a hard time dealing with hp."
    Unless we're talking about a freshman of course.

Since you seem to be unable to have a calm discussion without going all out, this one is over.

trying to sound smart , you mean like mixing rolfmaos and latin expressions ?

What you don't seem to get is that for a huge architecture like wow, you don't just go to your tech leader and ask "hey man, could we just use a bit of 64-bit here and there ? I'm having a hard time dealing with hp."
    Unless we're talking about a freshman of course.

Since you seem to be unable to have a calm discussion without going all out, this one is over.
    Tuck tail and run since you got called out ������

Quote Originally Posted by Nachtigal View Post
    Tuck tail and run since you got called out
    it's just that I'm not in that kind of mood

Tech leader? Any moderately knowledgeable engineer is going to rationalize to use doubles over ints in this case. You gain integer precision (up to 53 bits) and you get to drop tons of explicit conversions and simplify structures and call signatures to doubles.

Old 32 bit x86 processors (2001 and later) fully support double-precision math using efficient hardware implementation via SSE2 instructions, and there's no real complexity encoding this in a binary network protocol either since you'd just read the 8 bytes instead of 4. A small change may be needed around packet (de)serialization methods, but realistically most of that change could be done with common refactoring tools (fixing struct declarations, variable types, arg types in functions, etc), even if it has to change hundreds of files, even across several codebases.

Also we know they already did it, because the legion client displayed a mob with 42 trillion hit points. In fact they already implemented mega-damage too, because that number was shortened to millions with a capital M in the label. And we got a blue post confirming it-- this is a done deal already!

Yes, it does. 2,500 is less than 250,000 despite coming later after gradual increases. Continuity broken.

And yes, people complained, and some idiots on the forums were telling them that this is no big deal and that they are whiners and wrong to complain. As usual.

You care about only relative impact, good for you, others, me included, care for absolute values as well.
    who cares what numbers your doing, if it takes 10 hits to kill something it still takes 10 hits, the only thing that changes is your perception of seeing lower numbers, if your that bothered about numbers changing just stop playing, even with the new boss hp values there will be another squish as the numbers just get out of control.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Plastkin View Post
    Tech leader? Any moderately knowledgeable engineer is going to rationalize to use doubles over ints in this case. You gain integer precision (up to 53 bits) and you get to drop tons of explicit conversions and simplify structures and call signatures to doubles.

(...)
    Now that's more what I was imagining from an intern who wants to accomplish a task with elegant changes. Good post. Reminds me of the old saying, big computers make big lazy developers [emoji14]

Quote Originally Posted by Skeppio View Post
    Two words: Legendary Cazador.

That thing creeped me the first time I saw it!

Trying to get this image to work baby!

10+ Year Old Account
    Any readability issue could be prettty easily fixed by truncating. When you have 1344k health, you can start thinking in Ks instead of smaller numbers which are basically irrelevent fractions.
    Steve Irwin died the same way he lived. With animals in his heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    Also we know they already did it, because the legion client displayed a mob with 42 trillion hit points. In fact they already implemented mega-damage too, because that number was shortened to millions with a capital M in the label. And we got a blue post confirming it-- this is a done deal already!
    That shortening has been in the game for a while now. At the very least since WoD, and i think it was in during MoP already.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    That shortening has been in the game for a while now. At the very least since WoD, and i think it was in during MoP already.
    Oh really? I don't use the default UI, so I never noticed!

Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    Oh really? I don't use the default UI, so I never noticed!
    Which only makes things worse for the complainers. Custom unit frames could do it since vanilla.