Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    A flash drive or disc...of what? A ghost of the Windows 10 that was upgraded from Windows 7? You do realize that's kind of opposite of the point I was trying to make, right? I'm talking about installing Windows 10, from a Windows 10 installation disc, as a clean installation, on a clean hard drive.

I could, obviously, install a clean Windows 7, then upgrade it to Windows 10, then make a ghost of it, and use that till the cows come home, but that's not a clean Windows 10 installation.

Unless, of course, you're trying to say that I should make a copy of someone else's Windows 10 installation disc, but that there is illegal, buddy.
    You just don't get it at all do you?

Yes, you can download an ISO of W10 and do a clean install of it right from Microsoft's own website. They even provide a tool that will download what is necesarry and place it on either a flash drive or a DVD and make it bootable. Link is in my last post.

I did it twice this weekend as both my PC and my Wife's were running versions of W10 that were upgraded from 8.1. I downloaded the tool, used it to create W10 install media on a Flash Drive I had laying around and did fresh clean installs of W10 on both our PCs. Whole process took less than an hour as well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    You just don't get it at all do you?
    Yeah, as you see I deleted my post. Your response to me was sufficiently confusing and made no mention of an online Windows 10 image that can be downloaded, which is why I made the post.

This is what you said:

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Not true. Anyone and their brothers can use the Media Creation Tool to create either a Flash Drive that you can install from or a Disc or create and .iso and burn it to a disk yourself. You just need the key to install it.
    The "Media Creation Tool" isn't a "Windows 10 Image Creation Tool Only Available As a Download From M$", so it's not really a clue. Would still have to know what the source is.

I figured it out from the later post.
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2016-05-23 at 07:18 PM.

Deleted
    I actually did just an upgrade from 7 to 10 last week. I also had a hardware upgrade to motherboard and processor since the Windows 10 license is tied to that.
    Honestly, the fact that I had to actually remove all components and reinstall them was more of a hassle than upgrading to windows 10.

I had to remove everything, then put the new motherboard and processor, then connected to my old HDD and my computer would restart in Windows screen (was hoping I could immediately install 10, but seems not) so I had to find my Windows 7 disk and clean install Windows 7, download the updates (which, thankfully, have been bundled together in some 18 updates or so only), verify my windows license then update to windows 10.

I like Windows 10, it's nice. It looks a lot like Windows 7 except it has some icons near the Start bar where I plucked programs I use most. Besides that, quite a few more privacy settings, preety much didn't allow Windows or apps to use my shit for advertising. And that's that. Does it work faster? Not sure what to say, it boots faster, sure, but... Windows 7 was working good enough.

I upgraded because it was free and I think next year support for Windows 7 ends. Plus, it's much better than 8, had 8 at work and hated it.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    I actually did just an upgrade from 7 to 10 last week. I also had a hardware upgrade to motherboard and processor since the Windows 10 license is tied to that.
    Honestly, the fact that I had to actually remove all components and reinstall them was more of a hassle than upgrading to windows 10.

I had to remove everything, then put the new motherboard and processor, then connected to my old HDD and my computer would restart in Windows screen (was hoping I could immediately install 10, but seems not) so I had to find my Windows 7 disk and clean install Windows 7, download the updates (which, thankfully, have been bundled together in some 18 updates or so only), verify my windows license then update to windows 10.

I like Windows 10, it's nice. It looks a lot like Windows 7 except it has some icons near the Start bar where I plucked programs I use most. Besides that, quite a few more privacy settings, preety much didn't allow Windows or apps to use my shit for advertising. And that's that. Does it work faster? Not sure what to say, it boots faster, sure, but... Windows 7 was working good enough.

I upgraded because it was free and I think next year support for Windows 7 ends. Plus, it's much better than 8, had 8 at work and hated it.
    Nah 7 has extended support til 2020. That means things like security and fixes. Mainstream actually ended last year which is big things such as Service Packs. Hell Vista believe it or not has extended support till next year.

The "Media Creation Tool" isn't a "Windows 10 Image Creation Tool Only Available As a Download From M$", so it's not really a clue. Would still have to know what the source is.

I figured it out from the later post.
    If you did not know what the Media Creation Tool was, well just google it and see. The first result is a link right to it and the second result is a guide on how to use it. However, instead of Googling it, you just lashed out at me telling me I was wrong, then realized you were an idiot and deleted your post. Funny.

Upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 on day one, other than reinstalling my WiFi adapter driver I have had no issues whatsoever, andnd that's with a 4+ year old PC

Upgraded recently, so far I have have not had any issues. I would recommend using custom install option to remove some of the unneeded "check for this" kind of options. But I would def upgrade while its free just so you don't have to worry when MS cuts support for windows 7/8.
    I don't know. Something.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Nah 7 has extended support til 2020. That means things like security and fixes. Mainstream actually ended last year which is big things such as Service Packs. Hell Vista believe it or not has extended support till next year.
    Didn't know that. Well, still, I am glad I upgraded with my hardware upgrade, who knows for how long I'll keep this motherboard.

So they have ditched the whole "per device" -clause, where the upgrade is fixed to the device you have at the moment of upgrading? I mean, what if you happen to switch your processor? RAM? Motherboard? At what point does it stop being the "same device", and at what point will you no longer have a "free OS"?

Also, was it complete BS that I read, that when you upgrade your Windows 7 to 10, you can no longer continue to use the Windows 7 as Windows 7, as it's not "tagged" to have been upgraded, and you have to then install Windows 10 every time on top of the 7 when you do a clean install? And, if that's the case, wouldn't that mean you can't use the same Windows 7, from a disc, on a future computer, ever again?

Because, I mean, if it'd be so simple as having a free Windows 10 for every single computer you buy from here to eternity, just like if you had bought a disc, then that'd make it a bit better. But apparently that's not the case?

And even still, upgrading from one OS to another OS is never a good idea. Best to format and do a proper clean install. And for that, you need a Windows 10 on a disc. And to have it on a disc, you have to pay for it.
    I actually had to do that.

I have an actual Windows 10 Pro Key from Microsoft.

I upgraded my motherboard, cpu, video card, etc. Basically a new system. Obviously Windows 10 deactivated itself so I got on chat with M$.

I told them that my old motherboard died and that I had to purchase a new one (which was true, my MoBo crapped out, so I used that as an excuse to do a full upgrade). They then wanted me to get my Windows 8 key for them (which was my original, that upgraded to 10), so that they could verify my original key. I could not find it so I was going to end up shit creek without a paddle.

But then the Support agent did something I was not expecting. They gave me an actual Windows 10 Pro key.

Now, I may have been the exception, but it is possible none the less. Which means I can also install my Windows 10 on any PC I like, because I have an actual Serial Key now.

As to upgrading a previous version to 10 and that old one being invalid. That has been the case for quite a while now (with previous upgrades), and I have yet to see it actually invalidate the original key or force it to only work on the new version that it was upgraded to.

I have a laptop that is Win 8 that I upgraded to 10. I had to do a restore on it to factory and it went back to 8 (and it activated just fine as windows 8). Maybe it takes a while for it to check in with M$ and get flagged as not being valid, but it did not for me.

As to needing a disc. I am sure I saw somewhere on the M$ site that you could download an ISO of the disc (they may have removed it now though).

But even so, did you pay money to get windows 10 as an upgrade? No? Guess that makes it free. I never said it was Free for every PC you could ever think to own. But it was Free for that one computer that upgrades to it, which makes it a free OS.

I personally use 7, I have no intentions of ever using 8.. and 10 maybe in the future... I prefer the windows 7, granted I have only used 10 maybe 2 times

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Linri View Post
    I personally use 7, I have no intentions of ever using 8.. and 10 maybe in the future... I prefer the windows 7, granted I have only used 10 maybe 2 times
    Why not? What is it that you don't like or that isn't compatible with your system?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul360 View Post
    So i have had the windows 10 notification for a while. Always popping up saying upgrade to windows 10. I've always closed it (Wasnt sure if i should upgrade to it or not). However, it seems that i haven't got a choice anymore as its downloaded the update and its ready to install soon i a click shutdown.

So, is windows 10 worth upgrading to? I seem to see a lot of negative feedback about it. Will 10 use up more resources such as hard drive space and Ram usage? Shall i revert back to 7 once it updates to 10?

im currently using 7. I find that 7 is perfect. no clutter, no useless crap. loads really quickly with instant navigation between applications. I mainly use excel, word and access, with the occasional gaming session (wow, diablo, counterstrike). Have had no problems.

So, Win 10 or 7 ?

(Thanks in advance for any opinions)
    You should upgrade your copy of 7 just because it's free until July 29, 2016. 7 will lose it's support long before another version of Windows comes out (I think 10 is the final iteration, with them just updating it as needed) and you won't notice a huge difference in the OS if you're coming from 7. Windows 8/8.1 users will feel a bigger change because windows 10 brings back features they took out for windows 8. As far as performance goes, Windows 10 has the smallest hardware impact of any OS to date. Compatibility for hardware and games seems to be there (I haven't had any issues yet playing even older stuff) so I don't see any issues if you're just looking to game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    7 will lose it's support long before another version of Windows comes out
    Well, quite a ways until January 2020.

Well, quite a ways until January 2020.
    Yes, but will you be able to upgrade for free between july 29 2016 and then? Even if he hates windows 10, he should get his free copy just to have it. He can always revert his installation without losing access to windows 10 in the future. But if he doesn't act soon, he will have to pay for Windows 10.

Yes, but will you be able to upgrade for free between july 29 2016 and then? Even if he hates windows 10, he should get his free copy just to have it. He can always revert his installation without losing access to windows 10 in the future. But if he doesn't act soon, he will have to pay for Windows 10.
    I reverted to 7 but dl'd the iso for 10 just to have it for the future. I'm hoping that by the time I have no choice but to upgrade windows 10 will suck less.

Deleted
    he will have to pay for Windows 10.
    Yeah, and there we have it. We should want to have Windows 10 for all the other reasons than that "it's free". Right now though, if you check the amount of people who have Win 7 and Win 8.1 and who have upgraded to Win 10, the number is abysmally low.

Looking at https://www.netmarketshare.com/opera...10&qpcustomd=0, data from April, Windows 10 was at 15%. Windows XP still at 10%. As opposed to Windows 7 at 48%.

Also, fun fun:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonke.../#59bc39ca78b0

Microsoft has apparently decided that closing a confirmation box that doesn't have a "NO" -button, from the small red X in the corner, also counts as a "YES".

Well good on them. Shows people the level of their douchebaggery.

I'm sure that pitiful 15% market share will have grown in the past month or so, thanks to all these dirty tricks, but that's not really a testament to how great an OS it is.
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2016-05-25 at 12:46 AM.

Don't want to, hate windows 10, feel like I have to for DX12 support tho so rip.

Yeah, and there we have it. We should want to have Windows 10 for all the other reasons than that "it's free". Right now though, if you check the amount of people who have Win 7 and Win 8.1 and who have upgraded to Win 10, the number is abysmally low.

Looking at https://www.netmarketshare.com/opera...10&qpcustomd=0, data from April, Windows 10 was at 15%. Windows XP still at 10%. As opposed to Windows 7 at 48%.

Also, fun fun:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonke.../#59bc39ca78b0

Microsoft has apparently decided that closing a confirmation box that doesn't have a "NO" -button, from the small red X in the corner, also counts as a "YES".

Well good on them. Shows people the level of their douchebaggery.

I'm sure that pitiful 15% market share will have grown in the past month or so, thanks to all these dirty tricks, but that's not really a testament to how great an OS it is.
    Look, I cannot decide for someone else if Windows 10 is good or bad. They just have to try it and decide for themselves. There's no point in me touting features or things I like about Windows 10 because the OP isn't going get anything out of it. I'm just trying to make a point that he will have to upgrade to 10 eventually and it's free right now. He should probably take advantage of the free upgrade (at the very least) even if he wants to stay with Windows 7. I wouldn't want to pass up this opportunity and then fork over $150 later on for a copy.

Otherwise, I've been using 10 since launch and I would never go back to any other version of Windows. So I don't really agree with the sentiment that Windows 10 sux. Windows 8/8.1? Yeah, those were shit. Windows 7 is like the prepubescent version of Windows 10.

"But muh privacy, muh midget purn, microhard pls dont sell ok, facebook and google and apple, sell, is okay, microhard stop invading my privacy gud damit!"

This is how you "but muh privacy" people look like. I mean please... are you that naive?

Windows 10 Pro user since it was first available for upgrade in my region. Never had a problem, never regretted the upgrade (did a clean install), and believe me, the stuff I have and do on my Win10 PC is not exactly white hat, so please, spare me the "but muh privacy" bullshit.
    Last edited by mauserr; 2016-05-25 at 07:56 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliddqvist View Post
    Never had a problem
    So I guess all the other people who have actually had software problems and crashes and other stuff having nothing to do with the spying issues, were all lying or don't actually exist?