Rumor - Nintendo Developing a New Handheld Codenamed MH

Sooo this is a thing..

A Japanese financial report seems to point to a new Nintendo handheld console codenamed the MH.

Pointed out on NeoGAF, a business analysts at Mitsubishi UFJ Morgan Stanley summary (syndicated by Yahoo Japan finance) on Nintendo's current business practices claims to out the existence of the new hardware. The translation reads:

"The driving force up until now has been new business from "health services, theme parks and mobile games etc", but will switch over to the next generation game system (NX) and next-gen handheld game device (MH (temporary name))."
    The MH has not been mentioned previously, but one of the many rumours about NX has been that it will launch as a portable and home console. Nintendo outed the existence of NX in back in March 2015, when the Japanese game maker announced it would develop smartphone games using its beloved characters and IP.

Nintendo has been hinting what NX could be for the past year, with president Tatsumi Kimishima saying "The NX is neither the successor to the Wii U nor to the 3DS." Morgan Stanley's summary is the first mention of a dedicated handheld device, but it's unclear whether the codename presented in the report, or the project itself, is real.

Nintendo will release the Nintendo NX in March 2017, but it will not be discussing the new console at E3 2016.
    Sooo ummm ya.

Disclaimer: There is a chance this is not true, some reports are showing it as a rumor only.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2016-05-24 at 05:48 PM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Ya I just found that out. If true then WTF Nintendo.

Added a edit to the OP stating this may be a rumor.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Why would Nintendo not be developing a new handheld? Their handhelds are less powerful than PS2s and probably cost like $3.20 to produce and then they sell them for $200 or more.

Why would they not want to print more free money?

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Why would Nintendo not be developing a new handheld? Their handhelds are less powerful than PS2s and probably cost like $3.20 to produce and then they sell them for $200 or more.

Why would they not want to print more free money?
    I think you're going to be surprised, if you think a Nintendo hand held is going to print free money in the future. Consider these facts.

1) 3DS sold less units in 5 years then the GBA did in 3.
    2) 1/3rd of 3DS sales came from Japan. The smallest market for nintendo of the 3 major ones.
    3) 3DS is limping over 60 mil sold, its predecessor reached 150 mil.
    4) Of the 1/3rd of sales from Japan nearly 15 of those 20 mil came in the first 3 years of the systems life and dropped off hard after.
    5) It has not sold well in the west since 2013. Hell last holiday it BARELY sold more then the Wii U in the Nov/Dec NPDs for NA. Sales of it are pretty dead in EU as a whole.

Nintendo has a lot of work to do with their next handheld device for it to "print money". People seriously overrate the success of the 3DS when it's the worst selling Nintendo handheld ever and showing a steep decline over the course of it's life. Even the N3DS didn't do much to boost it's floundering sales.

60 mil isn't gamecube or Wii U levels of failure, but it was certainly the N64 moment for Nintendo handhelds marking a clear turning point in the industry. N64 was strikingly similar only if you reverse Japan with US. The zero legs in second half of both systems lives was the disturbing part.

This is a large reason why Nintendo needs shared libraries on their next handheld and console. They can't afford to have software droughts by developing different games for 2 different systems when both their console and handheld markets are fading.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2016-05-24 at 06:08 PM.

The handheld market is also heavily shifting to the mobile market. Nintedo's aware of it too, so they may keep developing games for the mobile side rather than a new dedicated handheld console.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I think you're going to be surprised, if you think a Nintendo hand held is going to print free money in the future. Consider these facts.

1) 3DS sold less units in 5 years then the GBA did in 3.
    2) 1/3rd of 3DS sales came from Japan. The smallest market for nintendo of the 3 major ones.
    3) 3DS is limping over 60 mil sold, its predecessor reached 150 mil.
    4) Of the 1/3rd of sales from Japan nearly 15 of those 20 mil came in the first 3 years of the systems life and dropped off hard after.
    5) It has not sold well in the west since 2013. Hell last holiday it BARELY sold more then the Wii U in the Nov/Dec NPDs for NA. Sales of it are pretty dead in EU as a whole.

Nintendo has a lot of work to do with their next handheld device for it to "print money". People seriously overrate the success of the 3DS when it's the worst selling Nintendo handheld ever and showing a steep decline over the course of it's life. Even the N3DS didn't do much to boost it's floundering sales.

60 mil isn't gamecube or Wii U levels of failure, but it was certainly the N64 moment for Nintendo handhelds marking a clear turning point in the industry. N64 was strikingly similar only if you reverse Japan with US. The zero legs in second half of both systems lives was the disturbing part.

This is a large reason why Nintendo needs shared libraries on their next handheld and console. They can't afford to have software droughts by developing different games for 2 different systems when both their console and handheld markets are fading.
    If anything that 60 million is indicative of the fact that they will continue to make handhelds.

The DS did so well because one PSP was more expensive/had a smaller library/fewer exclusives worth getting the system for... And two, it wasn't competing against smart phones which were just coming to fruition at that point.

The fact that the 3DS was competing against phones its entire life and still sold 60 million units... That $$ in Nintendo's eyes.

If anything that 60 million is indicative of the fact that they will continue to make handhelds.

The DS did so well because one PSP was more expensive/had a smaller library/fewer exclusives worth getting the system for... And two, it wasn't competing against smart phones which were just coming to fruition at that point.

The fact that the 3DS was competing against phones its entire life and still sold 60 million units... That $$ in Nintendo's eyes.
    And adding on to the above, the 3DS had the exact same problem as the Wii U did, a shit launch line up with a lack of good first party games for months after launch.

The PSP sold over 80 million units. The 3DS won't even get close to that. If you consider the PSP a failure then what was the 3DS?

Also that is not $$ in Nintendo's eyes. The 3DS sold far below their expectations. Nintendo expected to continue business as usual even against phones and found out flat out that was not going to happen. The 3DS for the last year in Japan, it's strongest market even has been barely out selling the Vita and been getting slammed by the PS4 by comparison. Neither are that strong of sellers FWIW. When even the strongest market for your handheld is fading fast that's not a good thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by johnhoftb View Post
    And adding on to the above, the 3DS had the exact same problem as the Wii U did, a shit launch line up with a lack of good first party games for months after launch.
    Every Nintendo launch ever outside of the Gamecube one has been shit software wise. Your point is pretty invalid.

The 3DS also sold the vast majority of it's install base in the first 3 years of it's life, and tapered off really really hard in the last 2. The first 6 months the 3DS was a complete failure because the system was over priced, once the price drop came around it sold decent enough but still way below Nintendo' expectations. The 3DS has had it's sales forecasts cut in almost every single quarter of it's life. It's constantly under performed what Nintendo thought it would do.

10+ Year Old Account
    The PSP sold over 80 million units. The 3DS won't even get close to that. If you consider the PSP a failure then what was the 3DS?

Also that is not $$ in Nintendo's eyes. The 3DS sold far below their expectations. Nintendo expected to continue business as usual even against phones and found out flat out that was not going to happen. The 3DS for the last year in Japan, it's strongest market even has been barely out selling the Vita and been getting slammed by the PS4 by comparison. Neither are that strong of sellers FWIW. When even the strongest market for your handheld is fading fast that's not a good thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Every Nintendo launch ever outside of the Gamecube one has been shit software wise. Your point is pretty invalid.

The 3DS also sold the vast majority of it's install base in the first 3 years of it's life, and tapered off really really hard in the last 2. The first 6 months the 3DS was a complete failure because the system was over priced, once the price drop came around it sold decent enough but still way below Nintendo' expectations. The 3DS has had it's sales forecasts cut in almost every single quarter of it's life. It's constantly under performed what Nintendo thought it would do.
    I consider it wildly profitable?

3DS uses weaker hardware than even the PSP, which came five years prior to it. So PSP cost way more to produce in 2006 onward than 3DS ever did from 2011 onward, the 3DS had a huge profit margin right from the get go that only increased with time.

If you sell 80,000,000 only making $50 profit on each of them and I sell 60,000,000 making $200 profit on each one, which of us made more money?

Those numbers are entirely made up, but to argue that the 3DS which was using ancient hardware, wasn't immensely profitable per sale, then you are kidding yourself. Especially comparing it to PSP and using the argument "PSP sold more so obviously it was more successful" when the truth of the matter is that Sony probably made next to nothing on the PSP, Sony hardly made any profits during that whole generation for both PS3 and PSP... For years they even sold PS3s at a loss to keep their market share...

I consider it wildly profitable?

3DS uses weaker hardware than even the PSP, which came five years prior to it. So PSP cost way more to produce in 2006 onward than 3DS ever did from 2011 onward, the 3DS had a huge profit margin right from the get go that only increased with time.

If you sell 80,000,000 only making $50 profit on each of them and I sell 60,000,000 making $200 profit on each one, which of us made more money?

Those numbers are entirely made up, but to argue that the 3DS which was using ancient hardware, wasn't immensely profitable per sale, then you are kidding yourself. Especially comparing it to PSP and using the argument "PSP sold more so obviously it was more successful" when the truth of the matter is that Sony probably made next to nothing on the PSP, Sony hardly made any profits during that whole generation for both PS3 and PSP... For years they even sold PS3s at a loss to keep their market share...
    The PSP is not stronger then the 3DS. The 3DS would mop the floor with the PSP if not for the retarded 3D effect having resources allocated to it. The screen res of the 3DS could easily be double what it is if not for having to render the same image twice for the 3D effect.

The 3DS is not cheap to manufacture either, lmao at even claiming they make $200 profit on each 3DS sold, Nintendo would probably be lucky if they make $50 even. The 3DS was even sold at a minor loss for a significant portion of it's life after the price drop to $200 6 months post launch as said so by Nintendo themselves.

You just clearly have no idea what you're talking about. A system being "profitable" is not the top concern of investors if it's selling far below what the company told you it was going to sell. Hell the Wii U was profitable for them in the long run but no one is going to think of it as anything but a total failure. When the profits are a fraction of what you promised investors those profits mean jack shit.

LOL @ you even comparing the loss Sony took on the PS3 to the PSP as if they had anything to do with each other. The PSP was not some ground breaking tech at the time, you only thought it was because mobile processing was not really in the main stream yet and it was stronger then the DS. The PSP at it's release was comparable to the Vita at it's and the Vita while much stronger then the 3DS was still not high end mobile tech, not even close.

10+ Year Old Account
    The PSP is not stronger then the 3DS. The 3DS would mop the floor with the PSP if not for the retarded 3D effect having resources allocated to it. The screen res of the 3DS could easily be double what it is if not for having to render the same image twice for the 3D effect.

The 3DS is not cheap to manufacture either, lmao at even claiming they make $200 profit on each 3DS sold, Nintendo would probably be lucky if they make $50 even. The 3DS was even sold at a minor loss for a significant portion of it's life after the price drop to $200 6 months post launch as said so by Nintendo themselves.

You just clearly have no idea what you're talking about. A system being "profitable" is not the top concern of investors if it's selling far below what the company told you it was going to sell. Hell the Wii U was profitable for them in the long run but no one is going to think of it as anything but a total failure. When the profits are a fraction of what you promised investors those profits mean jack shit.

LOL @ you even comparing the loss Sony took on the PS3 to the PSP as if they had anything to do with each other. The PSP was not some ground breaking tech at the time, you only thought it was because mobile processing was not really in the main stream yet and it was stronger then the DS. The PSP at it's release was comparable to the Vita at it's and the Vita while much stronger then the 3DS was still not high end mobile tech, not even close.
    Lol you criticize me for speculating whilst simultaneously WILDLY speculating about not only the profitability of the thing, but even what they promised their investors...

And comparing 3Ds to WiiU... "lololololol how can you compare PSP to PS3!?!!??!??!??!? *proceeds to compare 3ds to WiiU*"

Lol.

Lol you criticize me for speculating whilst simultaneously WILDLY speculating about not only the profitability of the thing, but even what they promised their investors...

And comparing 3Ds to WiiU... "lololololol how can you compare PSP to PS3!?!!??!??!??!? *proceeds to compare 3ds to WiiU*"

Lol.
    Actually I didn't compare the Wii U to the 3DS at all. I made a statement about it. Major difference. Also I'm not speculating shit, this is all information you can easily find if you go through Nintendo's PUBLIC investor meetings. You do realize this yes?

https://www.destructoid.com/nintendo...s-231943.phtml

Totally made $200 on each one sold though

http://www.engadget.com/2016/02/26/n...s-sales-short/

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/01/17...-miss-targets/

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...hristmas-sales

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...s-stronger-yen

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21257536

All different years.

Want me to find more links or can you just accept the fact you have no idea what you're talking about a move on?
    Last edited by Tech614; 2016-05-24 at 08:55 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yaya, more Mario/Zelda/Pokémon remakes.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    MH clearly stands for Mario Hole (though using Ninty's cutesy codenames, more like Mario House).

One of the things I look forward to this new handheld is that the Japanese playerbase that clings to the PSV will be forced to this for the better graphics/features (lol) and those publishers that stick to that platform will start making games for the MH. A highly unlikely scenario but one I hope plays out. I just want the newer Miku games on Nintendo's systems finally so I can skip out on finally picking up a Vita to grab them.

Also I swear to fucking hell if they slap region locking on it......
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

Quote Originally Posted by Turbotef View Post
    MH clearly stands for Mario Hole (though using Ninty's cutesy codenames, more like Mario House).

One of the things I look forward to this new handheld is that the Japanese playerbase that clings to the PSV will be forced to this for the better graphics/features (lol) and those publishers that stick to that platform will start making games for the MH. A highly unlikely scenario but one I hope plays out. I just want the newer Miku games on Nintendo's systems finally so I can skip out on finally picking up a Vita to grab them.

Also I swear to fucking hell if they slap region locking on it......
    Sony already locked them up into making lower budget ps4 games...

Pretty much every Japanese Vita game that came out in the last year and is coming out in the next year where all cross platform with the PS4 lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    I pretty much had that figured but damn it, I can remain hopeful! Been bumming off my cousin's unused PS4 but I have a buddy selling a new Uncharted Bundle for $250 so I should just jump on that (and I already have Miku preordered for it).
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

Nintendo Monster Hunter, a handheld that is exclusively for the Monster Hunter series!