Poll: Have you ever seen future?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I have that all the time, it's simply Déjà vu.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Deleted
    Yes, yes I have.

Like.. I saw my grandmother do things before and now.. My mother does them instead. It's not really the same but.. CLOSE! Maybe it's more like history repeating itself or deja-whatever-do.

But this one time, at band camp, I had a dream that I got to go home and then I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    Except no, it absolutely isn't
    It is - I suggest you do some research before discounting reality dude

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Moon View Post
    I have that all the time, it's simply Déjà vu.
    That isn't predicting the future, that's just the delusion of having done so

Predicting the future is a common thing - IF you don't expect to predict unusual or specific events.

e.g. I predict the sun will come up tomorrow at 6:27 AM local time.
    e.g. I predict that tomorrow I will have no work to do, and will be bored for the majority of the 8 hours I'm at work.
    e.g. August the 30th I'll be playing my mage on Legion.

See - all reasonable and likely predictions.

Predicting the future is one of the functions of the brain, predicting unlikely and unforeseen things by definition isn't.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Research into SEEING the future? Yeah, I have. It's called logic and the fact that nothing called "the future" exists.

This is some real legit sub-80 IQ stuff to believe in, what the hell.

PREDICTING the future is good guesswork, and obviously completely different.
    Last edited by Segus1992; 2016-05-25 at 12:03 PM.

Research into SEEING the future?
    Yep - that's the one. Come back when you've got some learning.

A good source is to read up on the structure and function of dreaming, and the predictive nature of the REM dreams.

If you have thousands and thousands of predictive dreams, then having one or two of them come true is entirely to be expected.

You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.

Yep - that's the one. Come back when you've got some learning.

A good source is to read up on the structure and function of dreaming, and the predictive nature of the REM dreams.

If you have thousands and thousands of predictive dreams, then having one or two of them come true is entirely to be expected.
    I mentioned this. This is not seeing the future, this is guessing it.

Saying "tomorrow Jesus Christ will fly a motorized raptor into the pentagon" and having it then occuring is not SEEING the future, it's making a prediction and then it happens by coincidence.

It's really not difficult to understand the difference between SEEING the future and PREDICTING it.

15+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

Predicting the future is a common thing - IF you don't expect to predict unusual or specific events.

e.g. I predict the sun will come up tomorrow at 6:27 AM local time.
    e.g. I predict that tomorrow I will have no work to do, and will be bored for the majority of the 8 hours I'm at work.
    e.g. August the 30th I'll be playing my mage on Legion.

See - all reasonable and likely predictions.

Predicting the future is one of the functions of the brain, predicting unlikely and unforeseen things by definition isn't.
    That´s not predicting the future, that´s an educated guess about what will happen based on known variables. Predicting the future would be something you have no knowledge about. Like some random guy having a heart attack. Something that can only be confirmed after the fact it happened.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

I mentioned this.
    Good - then we are in agreement, once in a while you will see the future.

Just out of interest, the way our brain works is fascinating - suggest you do some research on it.

Bye.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    That´s not predicting the future,
    Title of thread "seeing the future".

We predict the future all the time, seeing the future is a bit harder.

15+ Year Old Account

Just out of interest, the way our brain works is fascinating - suggest you do some research on it.

Bye.
    ... The thing is that you don´t know that you see the future, therefor you don´t see the future. Dreaming about stuff that happend through out the day and by coincidence experiencing a very similiar situation at some point in time is not predicting the future.

- - - Updated - - -

Title of thread "seeing the future".

We predict the future all the time, seeing the future is a bit harder.
    Same thing actually, you also don´t see the future. You can´t tell it´s the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Bye.
    I have to ask, do you believe in anything spiritual? Because that would explain this argument.

I ask because I can't decide if it's an IQ thing or a denial thing that leads you to believe actually seeing the future (a thing that does not exist, unless you believe in fate) is possble.

Then again it's likely an IQ thing that leads you to believe guessing a thousand times and being right once is seeing the future.
    Last edited by Segus1992; 2016-05-25 at 12:26 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Your brain remembered a dream, because reality was slightly similar?

Tell me more.
    Not enough content? Change you dislike?
    Unsub or sub later. Give Blizzard feedback, "vote" with money.
    Give feedback through official channels → quit paying.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I remember watching an interesting episode about this - Through the Wormhole: Is there a Sixth Sense?.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qM6yLngNnDY
    I was excited for that show when it was announced, but then it turned out to be one of those pseudo-religious pseudo-philosophical shows with way too much unscientific BS. It should've just been a show where Morgan Freeman asks questions like "Is there a God?" or "Do ghosts exist?" or "Have we been visited by aliens?" and then all that crappy "spooky" music drops out, and he just simply says "no, there isn't / no, they don't / no, we haven't", and that'd be the end of the episode.

Instead, it's a bit like those monster shows where you've got a full episode worth of this and that, and at the end, you've actually learned absolutely nothing, and the narrator says shit like "well, maybe the monster is still out there, and we will never know."

Disappointing show.

You mean 'illusion', not 'delusion'.

Déjà vu gives you the illusion of experiencing something you've experienced or dreamed about before.

Delusion would be if I actually believed those were special powers and I were convinced that I could "see the future".
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    I used to get a lot of deja vu moments and they really really really unnerved the shit out of me. The worst one was after helping a friend move I was sitting in the armchair drinking a beer, was dawn at this point, and I realized I had dreamt this exact shit like a year or so ago.I don't dream so much anymore but when I do I have a very vivid memory of them. The last time I got a deja vu moment was on my road trip to wisconsin.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I wouldn't really describe it like this. It uses actual studies and scientific evidence/experiments to explain things. You should watch this episode
    I've watched most of the show. It's not that there isn't scientific evidence shown in the show. It just leaves way too much room for philosophical, religious and mythological speculation.

I experienced the stuff I had seen in the dreams a few times. Especially one was so intense that I was almost shocked by it because of its complexity.

Saw a forest in my dream. A hut. Construction machines etc.at the same place. Some kind of road construction was taking place. It was an incredibly vivid dream

Following week I was there. Standing together with my father. Everything was exact same. Even the crossbar for pull ups which is put there for fun.

Bye.
    Yes, once in a while your delusions will happen to come true, just because of the sheer number of them and because they're at least somewhat rooted in reality, us being embodied minds and all. But that's not "seeing the future" any more than throwing darts at the wall and painting the bullseye around them is "hitting the target". I mean, I guess your could stretch the definition to the point where it's included... but I doubt anyone would be very impressed if they knew the full context.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

I wonder who voted 'yes' rofl.

Yes...I think things like this are normal. People say it's deja vu (and some of it likely is) but when the event is very specific and involves people besides yourself who are outside of your control of events, it is less deja vu and more (imo) precognition or something else. Although considering the nature of such events, it's not very testable.

My theory is that our perception of time is imperfect.

I also believe in things like universal consciousness, that thoughts are energy and you can pick up on them if you want to. I have had one or two close friends where we can sense when one is thinking about the other, etc.

Very woo-woo stuff and untestable but whatever. I think this stuff is normal to the human experience, we just don't talk about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, I have played Mass Effect.

Seriously though, what you describe is known as deja vu effect. It is not "seeing the future"; rather, it is your subconscious mind tricking you into believing that you have already seen this moment before, while actually you have not.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.