Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    This sounds reasonable. I'll go tell my boss I don't want to work, I want conversations with a paycheck.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Well, that and paying you as little as possible - especially if you're already doing the work - is in the best interest of your employer. Much to my dismay, I might add.
    Yep, I'm in Finance, and we use that mindset for budgeting employees for the next Fiscal year, so I'm aware of it. There is 4 of us in this department, I don't think any of us are that stupid. It's just another unfortunate hurdle that we're going to have to deal with until our resumes have the numbers to let us jump to the next level.

So basically, students nowadays just want free A's handed to them without putting in any work or effort to get them? And they also basically want to make it impossible to fail, regardless of how they actually do in school? SMH so fucking hard right now.

Kids nowadays are so fucking stupid and lazy, I am seriously starting to fear for the future of this world.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakain View Post
    Boy, they're in a for a rude awakening when they get out into the real word.
    When? How about "if"?

Although I still think we are debating the right problems about this "news".

Wether abolishing low grades altogether has merits (it doesn't) or wether there should be alternatives for exams designed for people who don't want to take them is a good idea (it isn't) is meaningless if the reasoning of the student is literally: I got arrested so I couldn't study.

Maybe I'm not trying enough but I was never arrested. That simple. Don't be a fucking criminal.

The other one says that she doesn't want to study anything that isn't about ni...errr black people, which isn't racist cause only white people are racist and only blacks and whites exist. She wants to go back to the hood and probably get arrested like the other one. I say let them and don't change the educational system based on the whims of those who do not have a willingness to learn.

Seems terribly stupid. And likely a detriment to one's own well being.

It shouldn't take more than a couple of brain cells rubbed together to figure out why "abolishing all grades below a C" is an idiotic idea. That's literally saying "no matter how badly I fail, pass me." How can these college students stay idiotic stuff like this with a straight face?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    You judge a politician's manifesto by... who follows him?
    You can judge a man by the company he keeps and who his enemies are.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    See, this just sounds like another cop-out.

Learning IS "putting things in your memory". I don't really know what you think the alternative is to "remembering things that you've been taught".
    It's not that simple right? Learning is about making connections between concepts, and then using that ability to make connections between other concepts that they DIDN'T teach you in class. If it were like you said then the only way that human knowledge could ever expand is through dumb luck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Born: Syracuse, NY; Currently live: Raleigh, NC
    I dropped out. I didn't blame the system. I blamed myself. I didn't deal with the emotional and mental issues I was facing at the time. I was burnt-out academically and I wasn't taking my studies seriously. I figured that instead of wasting more of my money I'd start focusing on my job. It's a fact of life. More kids these days need to start looking into technical colleges and just start taking skilled labor courses/majors. The world could use more carpenters, electricians, welders, and automotive technicians. The issue beyond that is that the media and some middle-class Americans scoff at that kind of work calling it sub-par...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    You can judge a man by the company he keeps and who his enemies are.
    A political following isn't really "the company he keeps".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    It's not that simple right? Learning is about making connections between concepts, and then using that ability to make connections between other concepts that they DIDN'T teach you in class. If it were like you said then the only way that human knowledge could ever expand is through dumb luck.
    On an individual basis you need to focus on providing for yourself and your family before worrying about furthering the human race...

I think the solution here is to just be significantly more selective on even letting people in to college in the first place....reduce enrollment significantly. So many people blow tens of thousands of dollars on something they won't benefit from. This of course would reduce money made by debtors and colleges so good luck...but still. Too many people are in college that don't need to be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kretan View Post
    I think the solution here is to just be significantly more selective on even letting people in to college in the first place....reduce enrollment significantly. So many people blow tens of thousands of dollars on something they won't benefit from. This of course would reduce money made by debtors and colleges so good luck...but still. Too many people are in college that don't need to be there.
    Well that would almost certainly ensure that college goes back to being the exclusive playground of privileged upper middle class kids, though I suspect that this time around most of them would be Asian and not white...

10+ Year Old Account
    Since a good portion of skill based careers have been move from apprenticeship to licensee to college to licensee it's very difficult to attempt to do that. We really need to stop degrading the value of a 2 or 4 year trade school where you work while taking classes. We also should be trying to make a sponsored apprenticeship 6 credit hours instead of requiring 12 credit hours on top of the internship...

Quote Originally Posted by Rizendragon View Post
    Since a good portion of skill based careers have been move from apprenticeship to licensee to college to licensee it's very difficult to attempt to do that. We really need to stop degrading the value of a 2 or 4 year trade school where you work while taking classes. We also should be trying to make a sponsored apprenticeship 6 credit hours instead of requiring 12 credit hours on top of the internship...
    Going straight to trade school and apprenticeships should be heavily encouraged in my opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

Well that would almost certainly ensure that college goes back to being the exclusive playground of privileged upper middle class kids, though I suspect that this time around most of them would be Asian and not white...
    I think that is a separate issue, but if someone is not up to par for succeeding in college they shouldn't be there. The issue of developing all kids equally to succeed at the college level is a different topic and something that should be addressed regardless.

I think that is a separate issue, but if someone is not up to par for succeeding in college they shouldn't be there. The issue of developing all kids equally to succeed at the college level is a different topic and something that should be addressed regardless.
    It's a problem with the whole educational system though. High school education these days is for the most part useless, and the gap between the expectations that high school teachers and college professors have of their students is way too big for most of them to make the leap.

English classes in High School are like playing russian roulette with your GPA.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a problem with the whole educational system though. High school education these days is for the most part useless, and the gap between the expectations that high school teachers and college professors have of their students is way too big for most of them to make the leap.
    Why should we be traying to make everyone fit in this one-size-fits-most box? Not everyone is destined for academia. I wanted to get my JD and be a prosecutor, but that wasn't in the cards for me. I also wanted to go to UTI, but my mother made it pretty clear that wasn't acceptable for her son...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ghazan Julio View Post
    English classes in High School are like playing russian roulette with your GPA.
    If this is what you honestly think then you're probably someone that should be looking in to trade school. High School English and Language Arts classes are not that difficult...

Because colleges won't be more selective. In anything they are building programs to be less selective (NYU's School of Do whatever graduate program you want) sort of deal in order to generate revenue.

Quote Originally Posted by damajin View Post
    Shit, their coming reality is going to destroy these kids and that's just fine by me. Let them be wrecked, ruined and utterly fail at everything they do. Zero sympathy for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakain View Post
    Boy, they're in a for a rude awakening when they get out into the real world.
    Everybody keeps saying this but they're already there, and many are already of voting age.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.