Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bollocks View Post
    You are not forced to follow USA traditions are you? Because when I went there during thanksgiving no one forced me to eat turkey and whatever you eat in thanksgiving. Or when I visit a country during its national day, no one forces me to sing their national anthem.
    Can I skip invasive airport security checks upon entering, or am I forced to follow?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Can I skip invasive airport security checks upon entering, or am I forced to follow?
    But security checks are a law and a necessary one, shaking hands isn't. Shaking hands is not a law and it should not be a law.

You are not forced to follow USA traditions are you? Because when I went there during thanksgiving no one forced me to eat turkey and whatever you eat in thanksgiving. Or when I visit a country during its national day, no one forces me to sing their national anthem.

- - - Updated - - -

What you describe in your examples are laws. Its a law that you cannot bring guns to the school. Its not however a law to shake hands with people.
    I am not an expert on the Swiss legislation, but I am quite sure that in order to fine someone, some piece of legislation is actually required.
    And as you can see in the article Swiss Justice Minister made some comments regarding the fact.
    So I am pretty sure there is some kind of paperwork behind that.

But security checks are a law and a necessary one, shaking hands isn't. Shaking hands is not a law and it should not be a law.
    Out of curiosity, why shouldn't it be?

When you visit their country you are forced to live by their culture and their rules. It should be the same where they go to live outside of that country. Refuse to adapt then just stay put.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because people now a days have no sense of respect and feel no need to teach it to our youth.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

Talk of presumptions while making them? Take your own advice.
    My pressumption atleast has merit since you generalized countries of like 1.5 something billion people. sorry mister!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PassingBy View Post
    Taking off your shoes, while entering any place of worship, even if it is a touristic site also?
    Imagine all that sweet foot fungus you can contract. And not all the places provide you with overshoes.
    However you still can't walk in wearing your shoes. You leave them at the door.

Try drinking alcohol outside. Making out with a girl in some of those countries. Etc.

Yes if you behave in accordance with their traditions - they are quite gracious and welcoming.
    But you still have to respect the traditions and rules.
    like I said, I've never been asked to do anything I dont find comfortable.

Taking off shoes, is fine, I choose to visit a mosque for instance, its not forced upon me.

Drinking outside and getting drunk, really wish we did not do that here.....its so much more pleasant in the UAE for instance without drunk people around all the time, Evening dining is a pleasant experience, I much prefer it.

Displays of affection, again, its fine, you are not oppressed if you cant stick your tongue down someones throat in the street.....

How fucking petty are you?

Yes I respect their customs, and I expect our customs to be respected here. But I dont expect people to give up their customs if they are compatible with ours. you seam to just object as its Islamic, whether it causes issues or not, thats not a good place to be mate.

7+ Year Old Account
    Is it a law to sing the national anthem on the national day?

Deleted
    Did you do something disrespectful and what's considered offensive?
    why would I? I dont do that here.

I mean sure I could whip my cock out in the street, but thats not exactly acceptable over here either.....

10+ Year Old Account
    Good, I hope this can be done across the world really.

Blend in or fuck off.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    Indeed. Immigrants need to follow the laws not traditions set by our culture.
    If you're going to a school you have to follow school rules. Disrespecting teachers generally results in disciplinary actions.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grym View Post
    Good, I hope this can be done across the world really.

Blend in or fuck off.
    If you can write a comprehensive and universally accepted book on what cultural norms are in a country, please do so.

We had this bullshit over British Values a bit ago, it was fucking farcical. rightly so.

I mean what are traditional British values?

You shall drink 20 cups of tea a day, wear a union flag cape, have pictures of the queen on every wall, and periodically invade other countries and then act like you own the place and expect the locals to be grateful.....or else?
    Last edited by mmoc3f25629bd0; 2016-05-25 at 10:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ButterBeast View Post
    My pressumption atleast has merit since you generalized countries of like 1.5 something billion people. sorry mister!
    You had a whole 50-50 chance of presuming right, and you even failed that So much for merit.

Is it a law to sing the national anthem on the national day?
    It's not here atleast. You might have to specify location

Quote Originally Posted by Houyi View Post
    why would I? I dont do that here.

I mean sure I could whip my cock out in the street, but thats not exactly acceptable over here either.....
    But that was the point, you acted in a respectable and non offensive way, which is more or less required everywhere. If you hadn't, the welcoming attitude would have changed, as it does elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Houyi View Post
    like I said, I've never been asked to do anything I dont find comfortable.

Taking off shoes, is fine, I choose to visit a mosque for instance, its not forced upon me.

Drinking outside and getting drunk, really wish we did not do that here.....its so much more pleasant in the UAE for instance without drunk people around all the time, Evening dining is a pleasant experience, I much prefer it.

Displays of affection, again, its fine, you are not oppressed if you cant stick your tongue down someones throat in the street.....

How fucking petty are you?

Yes I respect their customs, and I expect our customs to be respected here. But I dont expect people to give up their customs if they are compatible with ours. you seam to just object as its Islamic, whether it causes issues or not, thats not a good place to be mate.
    Someone might consider public shows of affection to be part of their identity.
    Imagine a person from Berlin, trying to make something gay-parade'ish in UAE.
    And the parade is quite a custom in modern Germany won't you say?

So the fact that it was not a problem for you to respect their customs and not do anything to cause problems for you (problems that might be actually more than just a fine) doesn't mean that it is not possible.
    There are certain customs that will be enforced in those countries. And I don't find it a problem. If I go to UAE - I respect their customs, if I go to India - I respect their customs, when people come to my country - I expect them to respect our customs.

Those people chose to come to Switzerland. And they also have to respect the customs of Switzerland. It is as easy as that.

Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    If it's not a law the Swiss can fuck off. I'm all for ending ridiculous culture, but not to replace it with just as ridiculous culture. If they don't want to touch you then they shouldn't have to. It's their body.
    Their country, their rules. Which something a lot of refugees seem to have a problem understanding. You're fleeing your old country for a new one. If this country has different rules about how things're done they have to conform. If they don't want to then they're free to return from wherever they came from.

You don't beg for entry into a country and try to make the rules.
    STRESS
    The confusion caused when one's mind
    overrides the body's basic
    desire to choke the living shit out of
    some jerk who desperately needs it

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelinrah View Post
    If you're going to a school you have to follow school rules. Disrespecting teachers generally results in disciplinary actions.
    Yes, disciplinary laws that are enforced in the school and punishment within an acceptable frame, not by the local goverment and the punishment does not involve. economic sanctions.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelinrah View Post
    Omg they didn't shake my hand, the DISRESPECT....stop being dramatic. I lost alot of respect for Switzerland.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.

Yes, disciplinary laws that are enforced in the school and punishment within an acceptable frame, not by the local goverment and the punishment does not involve. economic sanctions.
    Fines are probably the best way to get parents involved in the disciplinary process. Giving kids days off from school for misbehavior is dumb.

Don't want to get fined? Don't let your kid be a disrespectful little shit.

Omg they didn't shake my hand, the DISRESPECT....stop being dramatic. I lost alot of respect for Switzerland.
    lol

Even in the US students are punished for being disrespectful to teachers.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanEX View Post
    Their country, their rules. Which something a lot of refugees seem to have a problem understanding. You're fleeing your old country for a new one. If this country has different rules about how things're done they have to conform. If they don't want to then they're free to return from wherever they came from.

You don't beg for entry into a country and try to make the rules.
    Yes, I agree they should adapt to the laws, and respect traditions, but they should not be forced to follow them.