Page 1 of 3
LastLast

What to do with 750 bucks.

Had an extra check this month, do i toss it down on a 1080 or a 4k TV.

This is the TV ive been looking at:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-...&skuId=5185184

This would be a bedroom TV my current one is a 2015 vizio 40" 1080p model. If i dont get the 1080 id get the TV and sell my 760 on craigslist and buy a used 970 probably.

Im torn on the 4k thing, i sit about 10 feet from the TV not sure id even notice an increased picture quality but one thing i do know is 4k is the future for TV's and it would be nice to just have it.

What would you do with 750 bucks?
    Last edited by Fascinate; 2016-05-15 at 04:10 AM.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nah, keep the old TV, it's not even that "old"...

Wait for the GTX 1080 to fully release.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

It was an extra 10 inches too lol. I dunno yet tbh, ive never bought a flagship GPU before because they usually are never worth it but this generation might be the exception.

And ya i definitely wouldn't buy a referen....i mean founders edition. It actually blows my mind nvidia did this, there is literally no scenario where a blower cooler is better than a quality dual fan aftermarket setup......no not even in small form factor PC's.
    Last edited by Fascinate; 2016-05-15 at 04:58 AM.

Deleted
    Pension?
    /10

Quote Originally Posted by rawhammer View Post
    Pension?
    /10
    Bonus check for productivity, first time in about 8 months we have gotten one lol.

Deleted
    you can always spend it on upgrading stuff like your chair, desk or other stuff like that. Maybe get some of those monitor mounting arms. or a VR device. or a high quality speaker set.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post
    you can always spend it on upgrading stuff like your chair, desk or other stuff like that. Maybe get some of those monitor mounting arms. or a VR device. or a high quality speaker set.
    Get ONE of these:

http://www.adam-audio.com/en/pro-aud...7x/description

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3
    "A flower.

I'd say wait till the 1070 comes out, best bang for your buck most likely. Take the extra money get a mini fridge and stock it with an array of beers or liquors. and still have $150 for an extra game, a 6 month wow sub and a few new league characters

10+ Year Old Account
    I would just hold onto the $750. Is there a reason to spend it?

buy half an ounce of gold, or a new gun

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chewie49 View Post
    buy half an ounce of gold, or a new gun
    Murricah!!

Well I do hate the stereotype that Americans are all dumb and fat, but I would like to get a new Sig in 9MM. lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's try to stay on-topic guys.

Obviously, he came here wanting suggestions about $750... however, it's a computer forum. Try to stay in that realm of thinking.

Keep the gun buying in GenOT.
    "A flower.

Ive decided i think (keep changing my mind lol) probably gonna grab a 55" vizio monitor with HDR. Originally was excited for new GPU but overwatch still plays butter smooth on a gtx 760 and 2500k. HDR videos on netflix are coming this year (they promised like so many hours of content, i forget how much tho). Apparently HDR is a real upgrade to quality, id just like to future proof myself a bit there.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Had an extra check this month, do i toss it down on a 1080 or a 4k TV.

This is the TV ive been looking at:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-...&skuId=5185184

This would be a bedroom TV my current one is a 2015 vizio 40" 1080p model. If i dont get the 1080 id get the TV and sell my 760 on craigslist and buy a used 970 probably.

Im torn on the 4k thing, i sit about 10 feet from the TV not sure id even notice an increased picture quality but one thing i do know is 4k is the future for TV's and it would be nice to just have it.

What would you do with 750 bucks?
    Two Words: Founder's Edition.

It honestly doesn't even matter which. A rear exhaust blower is what I'd prefer on this generation. Otherwise I'd probably go put it in the bank. 760 is only last generation and it's not even really that old. I just upgraded from a 750 ti (which is actually same generation as 9xx series) and that would have lasted quite a bit longer. A 760 should be pretty close to a 950 and those are more than fine for games on high settings right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    Two Words: Founder's Edition.

It honestly doesn't even matter which. A rear exhaust blower is what I'd prefer on this generation. Otherwise I'd probably go put it in the bank. 760 is only last generation and it's not even really that old. I just upgraded from a 750 ti (which is actually same generation as 9xx series) and that would have lasted quite a bit longer. A 760 should be pretty close to a 950 and those are more than fine for games on high settings right now.
    You prefer a card that overheats and throttles when running games for more than 4 minutes?

OP, do not buy a FE. If you want to get a new 1080, go for it, but wait for the third party boards with better coolers to come out. The reference cooler on the FE is junk and they are charging an extra $100 for that junk.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    You prefer a card that overheats and throttles when running games for more than 4 minutes?

OP, do not buy a FE. If you want to get a new 1080, go for it, but wait for the third party boards with better coolers to come out. The reference cooler on the FE is junk and they are charging an extra $100 for that junk.
    This is actually incorrect. 3rd party cooler designs often blow the hot air around in your case, heating it up considerably. The reference cooler exhausts the heat out the back of the card, sometimes achieving a 10-20c temp difference inside your case while under load. It's true that older reference cards didn't have as nice of a cooler, putting a lot of pressure on a tiny fan that ended up being inefficient for how hot the card would get. They've come a long way since then though, with everything from how hot the card runs to how quiet that cooler is under load. You don't have to worry about that this time around and the Founder's Edition actually seems to be a good option compared to a what a 3rd party will end up doing.

You can certainly wait for the 3rd party options, but if you want something sooner than later, buy with confidence.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is actually incorrect. 3rd party cooler designs often blow the hot air around in your case, heating it up considerably. The reference cooler exhausts the heat out the back of the card, sometimes achieving a 10-20c temp difference inside your case while under load. It's true that older reference cards didn't have as nice of a cooler, putting a lot of pressure on a tiny fan that ended up being inefficient for how hot the card would get. They've come a long way since then though, with everything from how hot the card runs to how quiet that cooler is under load. You don't have to worry about that this time around and the Founder's Edition actually seems to be a good option compared to a what a 3rd party will end up doing.

You can certainly wait for the 3rd party options, but if you want something sooner than later, buy with confidence.
    Yeah... no.

Unless you're still using some old, shit case with crap for airflow, with no dust filters, and having it stuck under your desk in a confined space. Sure.

I bet my computer runs cooler than yours.
    "A flower.

Buy with confidence? After it's already been shown that most of the benchmarks done so far on the 1080 were on an open bench, ie. not a closed case. Most of them were also only run for a short time. In the benchmarks that they did in an actual case, not an open bench, where they ran the game for a longer time, the 1080 FE fan kicked up to 100%, got really noisy, and was throttling to base clocks.

Not only will the third party coolers work better, as they always do, they will have additional power connectors, so you can even further OC the card. Why would nVidia not include those on it's own FE? Because it's cooler can't handle the additional heat the additional power would create. It can barely run stock clocks without it's fan getting super loud, much less OCs.