Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    these days I'm pretty sure that everyone judges anyone for anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    So you're against hate speech laws? Or do does it all of a sudden matter when it hurts somebodies feelings?
    wtf are you talking about?

Oh we judge alright, we just keep it to ourselves.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    wtf are you talking about?
    I'm talking about the "not giving a shit" attitude.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm talking about the "not giving a shit" attitude.
    no your not.....

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    People judge each other and things like, 100% of the time. Everything is a matter of value attribution in so far we (humans) have any control (unlikely) of our actions.

Choosing to go to the movies with Susanna instead of Emily is an assignment of value. You have to judge one thing higher or differently than another to assign and act on value.
    So if that judgement is assigning a value to one over the other, it follows the difference is either negative or positive, in other words one is superior to another?

7+ Year Old Account
    no your not.....
    The whole point of the thread is that people need to not be so sensitive regarding judgement, feelings, emotions, etc. It also directly relates to free expression.

10+ Year Old Account
    The whole point of the thread is that people need to not be so sensitive about judgement, feelings, emotions, etc. It also directly relates to free expression.
    And? Why are you asking me about hate crimes? I tend not to care about what others do, I tend to go on with my day. Im not sure what discussion you are attempting to start here.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    I'm an adult. also reason I drink a lot.

7+ Year Old Account
    And? Why are you asking me about hate crimes? I tend not to care about what others do, I tend to go on with my day. Im not sure what discussion you are attempting to start here.
    I wanted to see if you applied your attitude universally.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wanted to see if you applied your attitude universally.
    Not possible? Very few if any thing can be universal. How I feel is not how you feel, etc.

7+ Year Old Account
    Not possible? Very few if any thing can be universal.
    Are you sure? I hope there is universal logic in the universe.

Social media means you need to be accepted by a much larger group of people than before, so you need to follow a 'social norm' of what's OK to judge.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

^ Someone's missing the point.

If one's stance is "fuck what other people say," it would stand to reason that said person would support the act of speaking hatefully, aka hate speech, (not necessarily agreeing with the message, though).

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you sure? I hope there is universal logic in the universe.
    Math is pretty universal. Then again how we contemplate math is not universal.

Physics is universal, but our understanding of it is not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe people should pick up some stoic works...

Quote Originally Posted by Anastacy View Post
    If one's stance is "fuck what other people say," it would stand to reason that said person would support the act of speaking hatefully, aka hate speech, (not necessarily agreeing with the message, though).
    I think there's a difference between judging and hate speech, an extremely large one.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Quote Originally Posted by nanook12 View Post
    People are so afraid of judgement today, yet people cannot survive with judging things. For example, a person may make the judgement call to not walk down a dark lit alley in a bad part of town at night, and that's probably a good judgement. People cannot live without making judgments, so stop trying to fool yourself. Yes, I make judgement about my surroundings, scenarios, people, and groups. Sometimes judgement are wrong and sometimes they are correct, but to not make any judgments at all is to not make any choice in a world that is dependent on making choices.

How about we just judge nothing at all? That way no ones feelings will get hurt but as a consequence almost every action will be seen as permissible. Certain instances of rape, murder, or pedophilia may suddenly become acceptable. That is not a world I want to live it, so I use my judgement as the tool that I have been given. Sometimes it is wrong and sometimes it is right, but it is the best tool that I have.

It's okay to make rational logical judgments even on groups or individuals as long as they are well thought out and not biased.
    Judging people is just anb off set of our old survival instincts from way back when. We used to have to judge everything (and all new people and tribes we met) critically- to insure our survival. It is part of our genetic make up. There is nothing wrong with judging people. As long as you realize that your judgement is your opinion and not necessarily the whole truth of the person.

10+ Year Old Account
    People always judge each other secretly or openly, and depending on who you judge you might get hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    I think there's a difference between judging and hate speech, an extremely large one.
    Hate speech is a stupid concept to make laws about, you should be able to say what you want to without hate speech laws