10+ Year Old Account

Should I wait for the 1070?

Hi there!

I am looking at buying a new rig, priced one up etc but I'm stumped at whether I should buy a 980ti or wait for the 1070, because I heard the 1070 will be cheaper and better? If anyone could provide some insight that'd be great!

10+ Year Old Account
    My understanding is that it will be better, it will certainly be cheaper and it releases on June 10th so I'd wait.

Deleted
    while it's true that it will release jun10, if you want to pay less then $400 for it you will probably have to wait closer to a month, same if you want an aftermarket version.

But for 450-480 you can probably get a founders on/around jun10.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post
    while it's true that it will release jun10, if you want to pay less then $400 for it you will probably have to wait closer to a month, same if you want an aftermarket version.

But for 450-480 you can probably get a founders on/around jun10.
    Will it be quite cheap for a new gfx card? I'm assuming maybe slightly dearer than the 980ti? Also what is a founders? xD

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Quirin View Post
    Will it be quite cheap for a new gfx card? I'm assuming maybe slightly dearer than the 980ti? Also what is a founders? xD
    Computex is next week, during which a lot more new information about new gpus will come out. AMD will announce the new cards, and nvidias reaction will probably be to lift the 1070 NDA. So in a week a lot more real facts will be available to make decisions on, compared to educated guesses and speculation right now.

founders edition is the new word for reference design, but with a higher price. if you can wait a bit, you will be able to get a better deal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post
    Computex is next week, during which a lot more new information about new gpus will come out. AMD will announce the new cards, and nvidias reaction will probably be to lift the 1070 NDA. So in a week a lot more real facts will be available to make decisions on, compared to educated guesses and speculation right now.

founders edition is the new word for reference design, but with a higher price. if you can wait a bit, you will be able to get a better deal.
    ah i see, thanks!

Definitely. A 1070 is superior in every way to the current consumer-grade (no quadros and the likes of it) GPUs - performance, power consumption, price. Just look at that.

Hi there!

I am looking at buying a new rig, priced one up etc but I'm stumped at whether I should buy a 980ti or wait for the 1070, because I heard the 1070 will be cheaper and better? If anyone could provide some insight that'd be great!
    What budget are looking to throw at a Graphic card, Also might be a good idea to wait and see what AMD's Polaris has to offer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigvizz View Post
    What budget are looking to throw at a Graphic card, Also might be a good idea to wait and see what AMD's Polaris has to offer.
    The 980ti I have priced up now is about 900 dollars, thats because prices in NZ are generally higher, so around that price is my budget, I wouldn't mind paying for a bit more for the 1070 or heck even if it's cheaper that'd be rad.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigvizz View Post
    Probably nothing that can beat the 1070 and 1080s.

The 980ti I have priced up now is about 900 dollars, thats because prices in NZ are generally higher, so around that price is my budget, I wouldn't mind paying for a bit more for the 1070 or heck even if it's cheaper that'd be rad.
    Ok, lets make this simple. Give us more info.

Budget
    Resolution
    Games / Settings Desired
    Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc)
    Country
    Parts that can be reused
    Do you need an OS?
    Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)?