Quote Originally Posted by crimson View Post
    How anime is her life on a scale from 1 to magic high school anime?
    moe blob

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    I know she is, but just being able to understand both languages isn't the same as being a good translator.
    Considering she's pretty much perfectly fluent and reads a ton in both EN and JP I think she could do just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Asetotti View Post
    Agreed.
    There's also one thing I'd like to point out about him. Not sure about Sj but Vale had actually learned another language before Japanese. And Hungarian is probably his native so he had made one big leap already when he started Japanese (Hungarian and English are pretty different, as in they are from entirely different families, English being Indo-european and Hungarian is Uralic).
    But yeah, I have no idea about Sj's "language history" so I wouldn't know about that, but already being bilingual holds an advantage when it comes to speed.

and again, I'm not trying to be a cunt even if I come off as a little over sceptical.
    I get the skepticism, and it's really just a "may give it a shot for lols" instead of "gonna be fan translating for the masses" so it's not really worth all this discussion. I'd really only do it to read the story and get in some practice.

I've spoken/read/written close to a dozen languages in my life and pick them up very quickly. I get that Japanese is a context- and nuance- heavy language and there could be multiple meanings to the same sentence if not understood correctly. It's also not as hard as it's made out to be. It's definitely a top-teir difficulty language to master for non-native speakers (probably not as bad as English) but if your vocabulary is decent and your literary understanding is up to snuff (I'm an English major and have written professionally) you can do more than just "get the gist" with a little bit of time and effort. I'm not saying I'm gonna put out some amazing translation just because I can read JP, because we all know reading != translating, but my literary background and experience gives me a leg up over some random weeb on a random message board putting out a google translate LN translation.

But again, it's not really worth discussing. If you read my original post about it you'll see I wasn't even that serious about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zatheyll View Post
    Oh nah I agree with you on your points. You're not coming across as that at all.

If I remember correctly I think he started learning English in grade school, so he was bilingual by High School, and started learning Japanese in HS, so it would definitely give him a one up.
    It's definitely an advantage especially since jumping from Hungarian to English means that you have to get used to completely different grammar just like you have to when you learn Japanese.

Sj has made pretty good progress in my opinion. I mean, I haven't put all that much effort to Japanese especially recently because of lack of time but it was my 4th or 5th language depending if you want to count 2 years of German back in junior high school as a language. imo his Japanese is most likely better than mine.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sj View Post
    I get the skepticism, and it's really just a "may give it a shot for lols" instead of "gonna be fan translating for the masses" so it's not really worth all this discussion. I'd really only do it to read the story and get in some practice.

I've spoken/read/written close to a dozen languages in my life and pick them up very quickly. I get that Japanese is a context- and nuance- heavy language and there could be multiple meanings to the same sentence if not understood correctly. It's also not as hard as it's made out to be. It's definitely a top-teir difficulty language to master for non-native speakers (probably not as bad as English) but if your vocabulary is decent and your literary understanding is up to snuff (I'm an English major and have written professionally) you can do more than just "get the gist" with a little bit of time and effort. I'm not saying I'm gonna put out some amazing translation just because I can read JP, because we all know reading != translating, but my literary background and experience gives me a leg up over some random weeb on a random message board putting out a google translate LN translation.

But again, it's not really worth discussing. If you read my original post about it you'll see I wasn't even that serious about it.
    Oh I'm still going at it mostly because I find the topic interesting.
    And yeah, Japanese isn't nearly as hard as people often think it is. The grammar is pretty fucking simple and mostly takes just time to get used to. The hard part is the context and the nuances. Atleast in my opinion.

edit. And if you're already used to learning languages, it's probably not as bad.
    Last edited by Asetotti; 2016-05-29 at 07:48 PM.

The grammar is a good point; Japanese grammar is as tricky as, if not worse than, English grammar. That's why I've started reading more LNs over manga. Even I don't 100% know the vocabulary I'm still familiarizing myself with the structure before I even have to start looking shit up. I've only been at it like 6-8 months and didn't get too serious about it til I started chatting up the gf's imouto on skype to help her with her English.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Asetotti View Post
    Oh I'm still going at it mostly because I find the topic interesting.
    And yeah, Japanese isn't nearly as hard as people often think it is. The grammar is pretty fucking simple and mostly takes just time to get used to. The hard part is the context and the nuances. Atleast in my opinion.
    Interesting you say that because I find the grammar more annoying than the meanings.

10+ Year Old Account
    We know Sj, it's just that we don't have anything to talk about so we're shitposting.

We know Sj, it's just that we don't have anything to talk about while waiting for Re:Zero to air so we're shitposting.
    Fixed that.

Interesting you say that because I find the grammar more annoying than the meanings.
    The grammar isn't always necessarily easy since it might also have some nuances but generally I find the grammar rather simple. There aren't that much conjugations, verb forms are pretty sensible. Really just takes time to get used to since the difficult part is the weird logic not the rules themselves.
    Last edited by Asetotti; 2016-05-29 at 08:00 PM.

Deleted
    The grammar is a good point; Japanese grammar is as tricky as, if not worse than, English grammar.
    That's a weird statement. I used to study Japanese, and while it was a few years ago so I forgot a lot, one thing I do remember well is that the language was easier to learn than anticipated due to simple grammar. English grammar is hardly tricky, too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by crimson View Post
    Fixed that.
    My feelings precisely. I have an electronics test tomorrow, I guess I should be studying...

Deleted
    I try to be open to stupid ideas when it comes to retarded cute girls doing cute things anime, but I don't think I can handle Anne Happy. A protagonist seriously in love with a construction sign?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    That's a weird statement. I used to study Japanese, and while it was a few years ago so I forgot a lot, one thing I do remember well is that the language was easier to learn than anticipated due to simple grammar. English grammar is hardly tricky, too.
    I actually find English grammar ridiculously easy to learn. The phonetic part is the one that doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

I actually find English grammar ridiculously easy to learn. The phonetic part is the one that doesn't make any sense whatsoever.
    Yeah, it's pretty logical most of the time. Fuck phonetics, fuck English pronunciation

Though there's some English grammar that completely fucks me over, namely prepositions. Those things are like spawns of Satan for me. Articles are also pain. Fuck articles and prepositions too.
    Last edited by Asetotti; 2016-05-29 at 08:05 PM.

I've been trying to learn German because why not. Knowing only one language feels wrong.

Maybe if Trump gets elected, after he's done making anime real he can change our official languages to English and Japanese so we can quit getting one-upped by bilingual Canadians.

#cantstumpthetrump

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Schirmy View Post
    I've been trying to learn German because why not. Knowing only one language feels wrong.
    I had German classes in high school. I hated them so much. Hatred towards anything German probably runs in my blood.

Quote Originally Posted by goriq View Post
    "Hurensohn" ist eigentlich das einzige Wort, das du kennen musst.
    hilfreich, vielen danke.

10+ Year Old Account
    Being a native English speaker (with no good second language), it's always weird to me how most of you have English as a second, third, or up language, yet converse so smoothly here.

Deleted
    [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/EBYkSqfm.png[IMG]
    Avast, ye Teutonic mongrel!

Quote Originally Posted by Zatheyll View Post
    Being a native English speaker (with no good second language), it's always weird to me how most of you have English as a second, third, or up language, yet converse so smoothly here.
    It kind of happens when the language gets forced onto you from a very young age.

Also thanks to the internet you can pretty easily get immersed in written English making it very easy to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Schirmy View Post
    Du bist ein Schmetterling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you sure about that? at
    My ats are as frequent as they are because when I was younger and learning English I had like 5 different words that would simply translate as "at".

The result was that I simply went with "fuck this shit, this word can always be used" and got used to it.

A bad habit I guess, gladly it never really made anyone unable to understand me whenever I had to talk in English. Doesn't change the fact that the grammar is stupidly simple.