Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Major diseases haven't been cured yet we continously send things to space?

I'm not a medical or engineering person but i've never understood this. We send rovers to Mars and people to the moon and space but we haven't cured major diseases over here such as HIV and Cancer. Once you hear a groundbreaking news on a "cure" almost being found, news goes silent on it afterwards. We can clone goats but can't find a cure to premature birth. Can someone please logically explain this foolery to me?
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

10+ Year Old Account
    Because we can do multiple things at once?

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

You're worried about the money being spent on space programs and not the money spent on wars?

Once you hear a groundbreaking news on a "cure" almost being found, news goes silent on it afterwards
    Because the actual news 99% of the time is "we think we have made an advance in treating X but we need a lot more studies on effectiveness and safety and it'll take years before it pays off". If you get your news from the headlines, no wonder you think this is the case.

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    I'm not a medical or engineering person but i've never understood this. We send rovers to Mars and people to the moon and space but we haven't cured major diseases over here such as HIV and Cancer. Once you hear a groundbreaking news on a "cure" almost being found, news goes silent on it afterwards. We can clone goats but can't find a cure to premature birth. Can someone please logically explain this foolery to me?
    because its not as simple as doing X amount of work and paying Y amount of money to make a guaranteed cure. There may not be a cure for Hiv so rather then spend all our resources on it we try to advance our species in different ways at the same time.

10+ Year Old Account
    What is your point exactly? The two fields aren't even remotely related to each other and aren't mutually exclusive. A lot of the research that goes on in pursuit of space exploration ends up as cutting edge technological advances.
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

You realize that cancer biologists and astrophysicists aren't the same people, right?

We will never see an actual cure for things like Cancer or HIV because it's more profitable to treat a disease than it is to cure it.
    "Oh, you know what? You could bitch about anything couldn't you?" - Leonard L. Church

Quote Originally Posted by Redcrow View Post
    You're worried about the money being spent on space programs and not the money spent on wars?
    If we'd silently annex countries there wouldn't be any wars.

Major diseases haven't been cured yet we allow TheramoreIsTheBomb to waste so much time here on forums?

Mostly because you are comparing apples to tractors..... I also suspect you get your "news" from Fox and MSNBC, that is the likely cause of the issue

Quote Originally Posted by Assbandit View Post
    What is your point exactly? The two fields aren't even remotely related to each other and aren't mutually exclusive. A lot of the research that goes on in pursuit of space exploration ends up as cutting edge technological advances.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    You realize that cancer biologists and astrophysicists aren't the same people, right?
    But they both rely on that pretty green piece of paper.

10+ Year Old Account
    Czech Republic, Euro-Atlantic civilisation
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratboy View Post
    We will never see an actual cure for things like Cancer or HIV because it's more profitable to treat a disease than it is to cure it.
    Yes that is the reason why we still have no effective vaccinations for diseases like polio or smallpox. OH wait...
    Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    Don't see what's wrong with fighting alongside Nazi Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    someone who disagrees with me is simply wrong.

7+ Year Old Account
    Can someone please logically explain this foolery to me?
    Because, you know, just as you are neither an engineer or a doctor, groups of people can do different things.

Also important to know, is that science often help with other areas. Space exploration created inumerous and ground breaking technology that helped mankind in many other areas, such as medicine.

Cancer makes 124.6 Billion dollars a year so you may be right but it is morally wrong.

Deleted
    We havent found a cure for every bullshit disease out there, quickly, cancel funding for everything else, donate everything you own and force your children into prostitution.

But they both rely on that pretty green piece of paper.
    Present evidence is that throwing more green paper at cancer research will not improve its state by much.

Quote Originally Posted by Ehrenpanzer View Post
    Mostly because you are comparing apples to tractors..... I also suspect you get your "news" from Fox and MSNBC, that is the likely cause of the issue
    I don't watch racist, fearmongering, Fox news.

10+ Year Old Account
    You realize the USA isn't the only country in the world, right?

In universal health care systems, being able to cure cancer/HIV rather than use expensive treatments that merely prolong the patient's life with the condition is going to result in reduced spending requirements, which is a big advantage. Particularly when they can then sell that cure to other nations.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoranon View Post
    Yes that is the reason why we still have no effective vaccinations for diseases like polio or smallpox. OH wait...
    To be fair we will probably never see a cure for "cancer" as cancer isn't just one thing. There are thousand and one different types of cancers and each one would need a specialized cure to target it.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)