Poll: Would you like your country to become a new state in the United States?

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Yes! I could skip ww1&2 to get the nation collapsing under the trauma they live in.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thMountainMan View Post
    What lovely sentiments. Just don't act all surprised when your replacements aren't as keen on including what is left of your culture into the mix when their culture begins to push it to the fringes.

Here is the thing sweetheart. I come from a country that is an actual melting pot made up of people from disparate cultures. We we are distinct however, from you guys in some key areas. First, we believe in the rule of law. Nobody gets to live under a different set of codes just because their "culture" demands it. You either assimilate to our way of doing business or you go to jail.

Second, we don't hate ourselves, at least not as much as you. Our birthrate and over all cultural confidence, while not as good as it could be, is not in the demographic and moral death-spiral that is most of Western Europe. We have a large influx of immigrants as well, but they are not nearly as culturally dissimilar to us as yours are to you. Hispanics and Latinos, while certainly a different sub-culture, are included in the larger arc of Western Civilization. Our immigrants from Asia and Africa tend to be far more educated, ambitious, and skilled than yours. We collect some of the best people in the world because we don't create an environment that holds their hand and tells them they are a protected class in need of assistance. We say "welcome to America, obey the law, work hard, you're on your own, good luck." It attracts a much higher quality immigrant who is much more likely to assimilate to our way of life than demand we accommodate theirs.

Lastly, being American never meant you were from a particular place with a set of customs, language, religion etc. The American identity was always about a set of political and economic ideals which were available to anyone regardless of their origin. Being French, British, Italian etc. was always more exclusive than being American. My culture is designed to receive and include others. Yours is not. As long as The US still has the Constitution (along with the Magna Carta one of Western Civilization's greatest achievements) and an enterprising, pioneer/entrepreneur spirit, it will still be America regardless if we tan a little bit better than in previous generations.

You guys on the other hand will cease to be distinctly European because, your immigrants have no interest in mixing with you culturally or racially. They are intent on using you until you are of no further use to them. Don't worry though, we'll keep the lights on and the fire burning when they chase what is left of you from your homeland. You'll at least have a good place to run to.
    I've no inclination to hate myself nor anyone else, it's a pointless exercise. I know I don't see myself as attached to my flag as an american as a flag is just a bunch of colors on a cloth, nor do I have any inclination towards taking pride in something I had no control over like where I happened to be born. I'm proud of what I am for what I do at the individual level, so guess I don't get this whole notion of being proud in being part of a country.
    Your assuming those that immigrate here are less skilled than those that immigrate to the US? Great assumption, but as someone whose been in regular contact with doctors and met a fair few from other cultures I've found them all to be of sufficient skill level and education for their profession. Then to assume that they're not ambitious, they're traveling to another place to attempt to make money or even a better life for themselves which is ambitious regardless which nation you end up going to when you immigrate.
    Britain started as a group of cultures made up of European and Mediterranean cultures never mind the four meta cultures of English, Scottish, Welsh, Irish that sprung up from that, it's the mongrel of Europe. The colonial days also in turn caused an influx of other cultures to come to the British Isles, most notable being the Indians (from India). Side note Magna Carta is British, King John of England signed it at Runnymede so dunno what point you're making about it other than it being a great document on par with the US constitution though I'd put it more the declaration of independence level myself for it's historical impact.
    And I can state Britain will remain Britain regardless of it's many cultures and which one is in the majority. See I can suggest a future too, and as I'll be part of what helps shape Britain by being part of it I'll actually have some say in that future too. Democracy.. being an interesting thing like that.
    Last edited by Felnoire; 2016-05-30 at 04:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Czech Republic, Euro-Atlantic civilisation
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    ... Exactly how did I offend you? And when did I mention Austria? Christ, I'm wasting my time here clearly.
    Look on your first reply to me... Such an insulting mix of condescension and patronisation.

Clearly you lack even basic geographical knowledge of Europe, lets just stop this discussion there.
    Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    Don't see what's wrong with fighting alongside Nazi Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    someone who disagrees with me is simply wrong.

Deleted
    Being British I think maybe we should Annex the USA back into the British Empire, you can't be trusted anymore

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoranon View Post
    Look on your first reply to me... Such an insulting mix of condescension and patronisation.

Clearly you lack even basic geographical knowledge of Europe, lets just stop this discussion there.
    ... Trust me laddie, if I actually insulted and offended you; you'd know. My original post was sincere; I do feel bad for the people of the countries I mentioned, I think it's terrible that your homes are going through such a rough time, and has been for quite a while. But yes, clearly having a conversation with you, is a waste of time, since you, clearly, insist of finding everything a grievous insult.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

15+ Year Old Account
    You know... I'm having second thoughts about Canada joining. Consider this:

- if we joined as 13 states (our provinces and territories) we would have 26 new senators. The US has 100 senators (2 from each state), that would bring Can+US to 126.

Alberta, our most conservative province, recently elected the NDP - our most liberal (left of The Liberals, who are our centrists) party: and that's probably the most contentious Conservative state.

Currently there are 44 Democratic US Senators, 54 Republicans, and 2 Independents. If Canada joined, we would pretty much add 26 new Senators to the Left of the Democrats. Which, assuming we simply join the US Democrats (as opposed to creating a third Liberal party within the US system) - that would make the US Senate 70 Democrats vs. 54 Republicans.

Similarly in the House of Representatives (the US lower house), the split is currently 44% vs 56% for D vs R. That is also an unusually pro-Republican shift - usually it's more even.

Canada has a population about the size of California, and representatives are determined by population size. Adding Canada to the US would add 53 new Representative seats to the US House of Reps. That would make the US House of Reps 241 Democrats vs. 244 Republicans - and that's only because of the record breaking Anti-Obama campaign the Republicans won last mid-term election: that got the Republicans so many seats.

With 30 million more Left-of-Democrat voters, if Canada were to join the US, the Democrats would win the POTUS, Senate, and House - now and forevermore. The Republicans would never have more than minority representation in elected offices - and they would lose all ability to cock-block liberal policies.

In short, if Canada were to join the US, the Republicans would no longer be relevant, Bernie Sanders (or someone like him, ex. Justin Trudeau) would be your new POTUS, and with a POTUS+Senate+House super-majority - your government would work again: because it would no longer have an opposition party (Republicans).

Still want to threaten us with annexation, American Right Wingers?

We'll join, but Justin Trudeau will be your new POTUS
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

10+ Year Old Account
    ... Trust me laddie, if I actually insulted and offended you; you'd know. My original post was sincere; I do feel bad for the people of the countries I mentioned, I think it's terrible that your homes are going through such a rough time, and has been for quite a while. But yes, clearly having a conversation with you, is a waste of time, since you, clearly, insist of finding everything a grievous insult.
    What rough time grand pa? You do realise Czech republic is not Ukraine, we are not some savages in desparate need of hand outs from you?

Now seriously, where exactly do you think Czech republic is located?

I'm seriously afraid that I'd ever have to move to US for some reason.

Becoming part of US? Hell no. Never.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoranon View Post
    What rough time grand pa? You do realise Czech republic is not Ukraine, we are not some savages in desparate need of hand outs from you?

Now seriously, where exactly do you think Czech republic is located?
    .... I rest my case.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post

- if we joined as 13 states (our provinces and territories) we would have 26 new senators. The US has 100 senators (2 from each state), that would bring Can+US to 126.

Alberta, our most conservative province, recently elected the NDP - our most liberal (left of The Liberals, who are our centrists) party: and that's probably the most contentious Conservative state.

Currently there are 44 Democratic US Senators, 54 Republicans, and 2 Independents. If Canada joined, we would pretty much add 26 new Senators to the Left of the Democrats. Which, assuming we simply join the US Democrats (as opposed to creating a third Liberal party within the US system) - that would make the US Senate 70 Democrats vs. 54 Republicans.

Similarly in the House of Representatives (the US lower house), the split is currently 44% vs 56% for D vs R. That is also an unusually pro-Republican shift - usually it's more even.

Canada has a population about the size of California, and representatives are determined by population size. Adding Canada to the US would add 53 new Representative seats to the US House of Reps. That would make the US House of Reps 241 Democrats vs. 244 Republicans - and that's only because of the record breaking Anti-Obama campaign the Republicans won last mid-term election: that got the Republicans so many seats.

With 30 million more Left-of-Democrat voters, if Canada were to join the US, the Democrats would win the POTUS, Senate, and House - now and forevermore. The Republicans would never have more than minority representation in elected offices - and they would lose all ability to cock-block liberal policies.

In short, if Canada were to join the US, the Republicans would no longer be relevant, Bernie Sanders (or someone like him, ex. Justin Trudeau) would be your new POTUS, and with a POTUS+Senate+House super-majority - your government would work again: because it would no longer have an opposition party (Republicans).

Well all that might be true, but at least they'd stop asking me if I'm smuggling guns when I cross the border.

President Trudeau, lol

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    .... I rest my case.
    So do I, I am wasting time with you.

Deleted
    Actually, given how things are going here (EU-Hungary) lately. It would be an improvement!

Tho there is no way the USA would want to do it.
    They like to shoot themselves in the foot. But this would be a bit extreme even for them...

Considering my country has 309147 taxes regulations (as of 2013), terrible laws on freedom of speech and media, special treatment for politicians and is passing for a presidential impeachment again (second in about 25 years)... I wouldn't mind it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Nah. I'm scared of your internal political/social systems.

Only positives that I can think of would be that I'd get citizenship and would be able to move some of the northern states in the US. I'd give up a lot to be able to live in places like Montana, Washington, Vermont or Maine. Some of the most beautiful scenery I can think of.
    All the Nordic immigrants went to Minnesota for some reason.

Well not all but enough to where it's almost a cliché.

Here's a joke they tell:

Ole and Sven are the best of friends, and they have these 2 girls on the string, Lena and Olga who live together in an apartment. One evening Ole and Sven are sitting in the bar getting drunk, Ole turns to Sven and asks, "Ven do you suppose dose girls are gonna make out vit us?" Sven says, "Donno, but I'm drunk enuf, lets go ask em!". So off they go to the apartment where Ole knocks on the door, Lena answers and says "Vell Ole and Sven, come on in!" Ole no more than gets in the door when he says "Ve yust come to find out ven you girls are gonna make out vit us"....Lena is upset by this and throws them both out slamming the door on them. Ole is persistant, knocks on the door again. Lena isn't stupid, knows it's Ole and says: "Ole if you are gonna be so forward you'll have to talk through the keyhole". So Ole bends to the keyhole and asks "Ven you girls gonna make out vit us?" Lena is really upset now she drops her pants backs up to the keyhole and breaks wind...Ole is backing up and shaking his head, Sven says: "Vell Ole vat did she say?" Ole says: "Vell, I tink she said TOOOSDAY...but her breath is bad and I'm not askin again."

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Nah. I'm scared of your internal political/social systems.

Only positives that I can think of would be that I'd get citizenship and would be able to move some of the northern states in the US. I'd give up a lot to be able to live in places like Montana, Washington, Vermont or Maine. Some of the most beautiful scenery I can think of.
    I'd quickly move across the northern border, Quebec is one of the best places in all of the American continent.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, but if some of your states wanted to secede from the union and become Canadian Provinces, I'd be okay with that.

Don't bring your guns, though.

You are absolutely correct, which is why you wildlings need to stay North of the wall where you belong.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thMountainMan View Post
    You are absolutely correct, which is why you wildlings need to stay North of the wall where you belong.
    But the White Walkers have arisen and are heading South!

Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Felnoire View Post
    I know I don't see myself as attached to my flag as an american as a flag is just a bunch of colors on a cloth, nor do I have any inclination towards taking pride in something I had no control over like where I happened to be born.
    Like I said earlier. Many Europeans like yourself don't value their own culture, lands, people or history. As such they don't mind watching their culture die off and be consumed by another culture so long as it does not cause any major inconveniences within their lifetime. If that is who you are then so be it. Just understand that many of us do value those things and are not obliged to make that choice just because you did.

Quote Originally Posted by Felnoire View Post
    Your assuming those that immigrate here are less skilled than those that immigrate to the US? Great assumption, but as someone whose been in regular contact with doctors and met a fair few from other cultures I've found them all to be of sufficient skill level and education for their profession. Then to assume that they're not ambitious, they're traveling to another place to attempt to make money or even a better life for themselves which is ambitious regardless which nation you end up going to when you immigrate.
    I'm not talking about your doctors vs. our doctors. They're both doctors. I'm saying that a much larger portion of the Asian and African immigrant population in Europe ends up in segregated, underemployed ghettos where as here in the US, they are some of the most upwardly mobile people in the country.

http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate...europe-ghettos

The link above is an interesting article about the differences between how immigrants integrate on the two continents. Of particular note is the part that reads. "Europe itself lacks an identity. How can it welcome newcomers? In contrast, America is confident in itself: multiculturalism here is different, and broadly successful," and "Multiculturalism when there is a framework of national identity underpinning it. Europe lacks that; America cherishes it every day as children from all backgrounds swear allegiance to the Stars and Stripes."

So I'll finish with this. It's not multiculturalism itself that is destroying Europe, but the version of it most often practiced there. In the United States, we allow you to eat how you want, pray how you want, dress how you want and celebrate your culture, but only if you fully integrate into our legal and economic framework. We don't isolate our immigrants. We integrate them completely. Here you must become American in heart, word and deed. In Europe you pat yourselves on the back for taking in millions of uneducated, unskilled angry young men and then isolate them in government supported ghettos while allowing them to operate as if they are not in your countries at all. Combine that with the lack of fertility of your native population, and you are in the process of wiping yourselves off the face of the Earth.

- - - Updated - - -

But the White Walkers have arisen and are heading South!

Meh, Trump Targaryen will fly in with his dragons at the last minute, save the day, and all will be well again. In the mean time we just have to suffer through his random unnecessary speeches and his general ineptitude at doing anything besides gaining followers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Wildtree old buddy how are ya.

For now perhaps, but once they become a double digit% of the population and begin breeding, I don't think Euro nations will be in the position to deport very many.

I don't know that the eu nations will have the inclination politicslly, or the physical ability. I think of they did the Roma would have been gone long ago.

But hey maybe I'm wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

I think you would be disconnected from reality of you think multiculturalism had been beneficial.
    It has been beneficial, it basically defines the US as a whole, the one thing that makes us different from other countries and that is our biggest strength is our diversity. Denying that it's good, or that it should happen, is just sticking your head in the sand. Globalization is increasing, not decreasing, and part of globalization is learning to be a big boy and accept that not everyone is going to be like you and that not everyone NEEDS to be like you.

I mean, just look at Europe if you want to see why rejecting multiculturalism is a recipe for disaster. The Europeans need to learn to accept foreign cultures, and those foreign cultures need to learn to accept European cultures. That can't happen if both sides are adamantly refusing to accept the others' as valid. Some people are slower to mature and grow the fuck up than others, unfortunately.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow