Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

"Friend us on Facebook OR else ..."

Tenants angry after apartment building orders them to 'friend' it on Facebook

Source: https://www.ksl.com/?sid=39954863&ni...ebook-addendum
    Link: http://www.cnet.com/news/tenants-ang...t-on-facebook/

In another twist on a recent forced Facebook friendship phenomenon,

SALT LAKE CITY — Some tenants at a Salt Lake City apartment complex are fuming over a new lease agreement that requires tenants to “like” the complex on Facebook.

Tenants of the City Park Apartments told KSL that a “Facebook addendum” showed up taped to their doors Thursday night.

The contract requires tenants to friend the City Park Apartments on Facebook within five days, or be found in breach of the rental agreement, though some of the tenants already signed a lease agreement months ago.

The document also includes a release allowing the apartment to post pictures of tenants and their visitors on the page.
    Almost needless to say, tenants become (very) angry:
    “I don’t want to be forced to be someone’s friend and be threatened to break my lease because of that,” tenant Jason Ring said. “It’s outrageous as far as I’m concerned.”

Ring said it’s the last straw; he’s moving out after the final month of his lease.

“It’s a violation of my privacy,” Ring added.
    Currently, the building enjoys a mere 1.1-star rating on its Facebook page. It also enjoys comments that are less than flattering.

For example, this from Tom Native: "Dropping in and giving you one star because you act like a bunch of Nazi's [sic] with the FB policy you are forcing down residents throats. Do you really think forcing people to like you is the way to go? I am guessing as this goes viral, you will be getting more bad reviews than you could have gotten good reviews."
    An attorney's view of the proceedings:
    Zachary Myers, an attorney who specializes in tenant rights for Hepworth, Murray & Associates in Bountiful, said the contract addendum may not be fair to those who don't have or are unable to create Facebook accounts.

“The biggest issue that I have with it is that it seems to be discriminatory against elderly individuals and disabled individuals who are unable to utilize an online presence such as Facebook,” he said.

Myers said that if a lease is already signed, a tenant may not be required by law to sign a late add-on.

He added that if something like an add-on appears and a tenant is not comfortable with it, the tenant should not sign it because once signed, the tenant is bound to the contract unless a court says otherwise.
    Last edited by mmoc83df313720; 2016-05-31 at 07:04 PM.

Deleted
    And if I'm not on facebook? Fuck right off mate

7+ Year Old Account
    I mean its stupid, but I don't see it why is there such a problem, create an account an give it a like. If you can't then ask for help from the owners to creat one, give it a like and then erase your account.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is a difference between "like" and "friend". "Like" is just to up their rating. While "friend" might actually have a function, such as providing a convenient way for the landlord to communicate with all the residents.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Put this on 4chan and watches as hilarity ensues.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    There is a difference between "like" and "friend". "Like" is just to up their rating. While "friend" might actually have a function, such as providing a convenient way for the landlord to communicate with all the residents.
    Or to see if the tenants post any crazy shit they are doing in their apartments.
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

Just like it then unlike it once you're in a different place, Seems like making mountains out of molehills.

I'm going to guess that the landlord or whoever is in charge wants to use Facebook as a way to communicate with his tenants.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

What if you don't use Facebook for religious reasons?

If I was a tenant there. I would tell the owners to shove that addendum right up their ass, because there ain't no way in hell I would sign that.

Sorry don't have facebook or internet. But if you pay for my internet, i wouldn't mind making a facebook account and friending you.

Quote Originally Posted by Renedric View Post
    Sorry don't have facebook or internet. But if you pay for my internet, i wouldn't mind making a facebook account and friending you.
    My internet is too cheap....Internet, water and 20% off the rent for as long as I'd have to remain friend in such group, then sure ^^
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skayaq View Post
    If I was a tenant there. I would tell the owners to shove that addendum right up their ass, because there ain't no way in hell I would sign that.
    The article mentions that not doing it equals to the breach of the rental agreement. If so, then you would have to do that, since you've agreed on that when you were signing the lease contract.
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.

10+ Year Old Account
    The article mentions that not doing it equals to the breach of the rental agreement. If so, then you would have to do that, since you've agreed on that when you were signing the lease contract.
    Well they seem to be attmepting to force even those with already signed leases without that clause to like them, in which case its a breech of contract on the landlords part, not the tennent. You cant add clauses to a contract later on thats already been signed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Well they seem to be attmepting to force even those with already signed leases without that clause to like them, in which case its a breech of contract on the landlords part, not the tennent. You cant add clauses to a contract later on thats already been signed.
    What I mean is, perhaps in the original contract there was a part the tenant had to agree with that gave the landlord the right to add clauses of a certain kind. As it is usually done, such parts are very well hidden and phrased pretty ambiguously, so they aren't taken seriously by the other side at the time.

Yeah, no. They can get fucked. I would not friend them at all, and if they tried to evict me I would demand arbritration. Depending on where you live what you signed may not even be legal anyways. It's also a complete violation of my privacy and I am sure does not comply with pipeda.

10+ Year Old Account
    What I mean is, perhaps in the original contract there was a part the tenant had to agree with that gave the landlord the right to add clauses of a certain kind. As it is usually done, such parts are very well hidden and phrased pretty ambiguously, so they aren't taken seriously by the other side at the time.
    and Im pretty sure those aren't legal either. WTB contract lawyer.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    and Im pretty sure those aren't legal either. WTB contract lawyer.
    I'm no lawyer but from what I remember from business law is some sort of consideration has to be offered in order to change the terms of a contract.

Like =/= friend for anyone who doesn't use Facebook. Like allows them to post information to you, while giving them nothing but visibility. You can disable their posts if you wish.

Read my comment and the article again. The article says the tenants who had already signed the lease agreement before this addendum was added could not be forced to sign it.