Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    elves look horrible, i really want to see Trolls.

Elves look really freaky spooky. Those eyes just don't do it for me.
    It is actually what their eyes are meant to look like but they faded overtime iirc because of lack of well etc.
    Last edited by JestersShadow; 2016-05-31 at 12:32 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    People keep saying the reviews are biased without providing any actual evidence. Remember, anecdotal evidence doesn't count.
    Just FYI, in general, most film critics are generally always biased in that they don't approach filmgoing from the same perspective as average audiences.

A professional film critic a.) probably went to film school to try and get into making films, b.) watches dozens of movies a week, and c.) has to write reviews to make a living. When a film critic watches a movie, the context they're viewing it in is completely different from your's or mine.

When you look at something like Warcraft, which is almost inherently cliche and has a ton of baggage, I honestly can't imagine how the average film critic is going to enjoy it. It doesn't matter how good an adaptation it is, because they're just going to think it's silly and pulpy. But that's what Warcraft is.

If you look at the reviews, they're almost universally comparing it to Game of Thrones and Lord of the Rings, two fantasy franchises which honestly couldn't be more different from Warcraft.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    He's briefly mentioned, but the fact that he is an Other is completely unknown. There is no way anybody would read those books and think "hey, the Lich King!". The only thing those books share with the Lich King is undead + snow, which is a weak connection.
    Just FYI, but in Warcraft III, the final cinematic fight between Arthas and Illidan is titled "A Symphony of Frost and Flame."

They definitely took some conscious inspiration from A Song of Ice and Fire, which was just a series of novels at the time. Of course, it likely doesn't extend much beyond the connection of ice and undeath with glowing blue eyes, as the Others didn't really have much presence in the books at that time.

Frankly, even now there's very little information on them in the books, except that they may be led by a god known as the Great Other. The Night's King in the books wasn't an Other, but rather a folkloric commander of the Night's Watch who fell in love with what sounds like a female Other, married her, and then tried to rule the North with her as his queen.
    Last edited by Kathranis; 2016-05-31 at 12:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    elves look horrible, i really want to see Trolls.

Elves look really freaky spooky. Those eyes just don't do it for me.
    I didn't mind the eyes, but the wigs were bad and I don't remember being fond of the ears either. Definitely not up to par with the other races depicted

10+ Year Old Account
    As per a friend of mine (and twitter) the Film was promoted on WWE RAW tonight, that's some $$ droped by Universal right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    19% on rotten tomatoes, how does that thing even work, it should be at least 70-80% 0o I call shenanigans!
    A minute of research and you could find the answer... But here you go:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/about/

Tomatometer™ rating represents the percentage of professional critic reviews that are positive for a given film or television show.

A good review is denoted by a fresh red tomato. In order for a movie or TV show to receive an overall rating of Fresh, the reading on the Tomatometer for that movie must be at least 60%.

A bad review is denoted by a rotten green tomato splat (59% or less).

All rottentomatoes does is compile professional reviews from other sources and tell you how many of them considered the movie good.

Now, I do have some questions as to why some reviews aren't included...
    Last edited by Thontor; 2016-05-31 at 01:01 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    Also, Vegas, mind you explaining something to me? Why exactly are you here?
    To mess with all those filthy Blizzard "fanboys" of course.

I'd say you're someone who hates Blizzard that much.
    That's a 400+ pages old truism, but we're nice guys and we'll just pretend he's here to politely discuss topics relevant to this movie.

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherRae View Post
    Why are we talking about GoT in the Warcraft movie thread???
    Pointless derailing about what is and what is not ripped and incorporated into Warcraft, a perfectly avoidable topic within a thread like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyblader View Post
    It's a general rule though that if you play horde you are a bad person irl. It's just a scientific fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    The game didn't give me any good reason to hate the horde. Forums did that.

Can we get to talk about something else? Like... Where are all the US reviews at?

Quote Originally Posted by Tornwar View Post
    Can we get to talk about something else? Like... Where are all the US reviews at?
    Well it is Memorial Day. The movie is also almost two weeks from release in the US, so they might not have screened it for most of them yet.

I have just been to see it (UK late night showing) and I would give it a solid 8/10.

I was surprised actually as I was set to hate it. I can see why the critics are hating on it and if you were to look at it critically and not knowing anything about Warcraft then yeah the characters are a bit cardboard, the dialogue wasn't great and humour was sparse.

It's defo one for the fans and those that just want some entertainment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ultimar235 View Post
    I have just been to see it (UK late night showing) and I would give it a solid 8/10.

I was surprised actually as I was set to hate it. I can see why the critics are hating on it and if you were to look at it critically and not knowing anything about Warcraft then yeah the characters are a bit cardboard, the dialogue wasn't great and humour was sparse.

It's defo one for the fans and those that just want some entertainment.
    Okay, so its not winning any Oscars. We knew that. But is it as good as something like Transformers or Batman VS Superman objectively.

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually liked Eragon. It wasn't great, but I didn't get bored watching it.

- - - Updated - - -

Still guessing 350-400m worldwide gross. Just hope thats enough for a sequel. It seems movies that are decent usually make 3 times opening weekend over the course of their runs. Huntsman made nearly 17m in the UK alone opening, so I think Warcraft will get about 20m there. So Lets say 150m for Europe. 250m for Asia, 100m North America. Thats what I would see as a best case scenario. So worst case 300m. Best case 500m

And to those saying movie critics are biased against video game movies: yeah, no. Angry Birds is getting way better scores than Duncan Jones' trainwreck that is Warcraft.

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    They're comparing it to things that are out there for them to compare it to. Would you prefer D&D or Eragon are the standard? And their education isn't a bias, it's them being informed. Just because you don't appreciate quality films doesn't mean they should tell you a bad movie is great just because it looks pretty. And you won't get any arguments from me regarding the story. It has always been in B movie territory more than true quality... Which is why I don't understand people trying to claim this movie is good. It's enjoyable, but good? Nope.
    It's blatant as hell that you have a biased opinion on this and you search all kind of confirmations to feed it. You joyfully ignore every positive, even well structured and argumentated comment while raising up in awareness to anything feeding your confirmation bias. If this wasn't the case, you wouldn't blatantly favor one side of the spectrum over the other to form an opinion of your own, you would pick everything and then do that.

Face it, if you want to elaborate a worthy opinion about this movie you have to watch it yourself, there's no way to escape it. Doing this or not is a choice of yours, but most of your blabber and assumptions will mean jackshit until you haven't watched this movie yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by ramjb View Post
    And to those saying movie critics are biased against video game movies: yeah, no. Angry Birds is getting way better scores than Duncan Jones' trainwreck that is Warcraft.
    Begone.
    It's a general rule though that if you play horde you are a bad person irl. It's just a scientific fact.

Go away tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulkhan View Post

Begone.
    Um, Angry Birds is 43% on rottentomatoes vs 19% for Warcraft - twice as good.

Check out this review:

"Sarcastically, subversively funny, and all set within a surprisingly creative universe"

What movie/game universe is it gushing over? Wait that sounds like Azeroth ... nope, it's Angry Birds: http://www.straight.com/movies/70284...pe-your-family
    Last edited by ramjb; 2016-05-31 at 04:09 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Um, Angry Birds is 43% on rottentomatoes vs 19% for Warcraft - twice as better.

Check out this review:

"Sarcastically, subversively funny, and all set within a surprisingly creative universe"

What movie/game universe is it gushing over? Wait that sounds like Azeroth ... nope, its Angry Birds: http://www.straight.com/movies/70284...pe-your-family
    Begone. /10char

Um, Angry Birds is 43% on rottentomatoes vs 19% for Warcraft - twice as good.

Check out this review:

What movie/game universe is it gushing over? Wait that sounds like Azeroth ... nope, it's Angry Birds: http://www.straight.com/movies/70284...pe-your-family
    Stop talking

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    True. Those people are either:
    1. Fanboys
    2. People who do not know about movies
    3. Troll

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Birgwow View Post
    How is that in any way a unique character?

What didn't you like about it? I thought it was fantastic!
    I didn't like the direction they went "away" from the lore. As a standalone movie it was indeed good, but a part of me wanted something true to the warcraft universe.

I mean, Medivh dying from being crushed by a Fel Clay Giant? I cringed.
    Hi

Please remember that Angry birds already has 130 reviews, Warcraft only has 20.