Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Symmetra worst character in the game?

I honestly like this character's whole design and background even if it is making a mockery of something sensitive like autism. So upon buying, I looked for feedback on her and where to get started. Wouldn't be lying when I claim everyone says to stay away, as she is supposedly outclassed by everyone, especially the dwarf engineer. If you pick Symmetra, you're simply asking for trouble and the best I heard she does is defend sometimes but is a borderline troll pick on attack.

Share with me whether or not this is true as I pick it up from other Overwatch discussion places.

Deleted
    She's probably the biggest niche pick in the game. She used to be alot stronger before they tuned her and the shields pretty strong.
    Having her on first checkpoint either as defence or attack is great. Once she gets her teleporter up it's a massive difference on how fast you can reach the frontline.

Her damage is really good against high hp targets as it deals 120 / sec if locked on for a moment. Right button works through shields.

I've played against a couple of good symmetra that pushed their team towards victory just because the teleporter.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexton View Post
    She's probably the biggest niche pick in the game. She used to be alot stronger before they tuned her and the shields pretty strong.
    Having her on first checkpoint either as defence or attack is great. Once she gets her teleporter up it's a massive difference on how fast you can reach the frontline.

Her damage is really good against high hp targets as it deals 120 / sec if locked on for a moment. Right button works through shields.

I've played against a couple of good symmetra that pushed their team towards victory just because the teleporter.
    Is Torbjorn a niche?

She's bad because she's classified as a support and doesn't do any actual healing. Her primary fire can do an absurd amount of damage if you can keep it channeled for a few seconds and if you use her sentries properly (not just stacking them all in one spot and hoping people are dumb enough to keep walking into them) you can really screw over flankers and have a good idea of what's going on all over the map.

Just consider her a defense hero instead of a support. She is great on defense and can be good on attack but it depends on the map. She probably needs some changes to become either a full defense character or a real support, but she isn't in a bad spot right now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsugunai View Post
    I honestly like this character's whole design and background even if it is making a mockery of something sensitive like autism.
    ???

So upon buying, I looked for feedback on her and where to get started. Wouldn't be lying when I claim everyone says to stay away, as she is supposedly outclassed by everyone, especially the dwarf engineer. If you pick Symmetra, you're simply asking for trouble and the best I heard she does is defend sometimes but is a borderline troll pick on attack.

Share with me whether or not this is true as I pick it up from other Overwatch discussion places.
    She is best used on defense, and saying she is outclassed by Torbjörn isn't true. They have different roles.
    Torb has area denial and is best used to try and keep an enemy off the objective.
    Symmetra supports her team by 'denying' flanking, by putting out sentries, their main purpose isn't killing, they slow and can alert you of enemies, as well as they are a sort of 'repellent' you could say. Her teleporter is game changing if you and your team can protect it.

The thing with Symmetra is that a lot of her power is 'invisible', She doesn't usually go on rampages and kill multiple people or heal a person from 1-100 in a second, she provides a different kind of support. She might be harder to play, and depending on what kind of level you're playing at, she can be better or worse. Torb can be hard to counter for newer players, but seasoned players take his turret out easily. Symmetra can be hard to utilize at first, but can be really useful.

She had one of the highest win rates during beta. It really depends on what your team needs, what works for the occasion and what you feel is more to your playstyle. Also, she isn't the best solo support, so try to pair her up with other supports.

Symmetra is definitely better on defense. Well placed her turrets are quite good at defending chokepoints. I had a game in Numbani where she placed all of them in the building next to the payload where flankers always come. I don't know how many of my teammates died running through there not destroying the turrets. Okay, that's mostly due to my stupid team.
    And her transporter is very useful making her unique among the support heroes.

However I also can't really think of a situation where she would shine on Attack.
    I don't think that makes her the worst character though. She's just not suited for these situations due to her unique skillset.

Quote Originally Posted by MoltenMuffin View Post
    Also, she isn't the best solo support, so try to pair her up with other supports.
    This! I see her more than a defense character than a supporter due to her turrets but I think they went for this classification because of the teleporter so you could treat her as a hybrid.
    Last edited by Galathir; 2016-05-31 at 09:08 AM.

Deleted
    Is Torbjorn a niche?
    Wouldn't say he is. Actually had some pretty good games running him on offensive payload. Throwing out armor pack to everyone for the +75 armor helps alot, and you get a ton of scrap when pushing.

Utlity thorbjorn might be the future

She has some crazy high damage on her gun, with a bit of dodging you can easily solo most classes. Espeically on Dva, you can melt the mech in a couple of seconds and as soon as the pilot jumps out, your gun is already at max power.
    Volte 80 Frost DK--Cycloneduke 80 Holy Pally--Moardotz 80 Desto Warlock-- Dexterworgan 80 Assassination Rogue----Liadon 80 Feral Druid--Mumbles 70 Frost Mage--Bibleblack 70 Disc Priest--Dylli 70 DM Hunter--Krosa 70 Fury Warrior -- Slapntickle 70 Prot Warrior -- Okoi 80 Enha Shaman + 4 slave shamans multiboxed to 70 - Darksorrow EU PvP

Quote Originally Posted by MoltenMuffin View Post
    ???

She is best used on defense, and saying she is outclassed by Torbjörn isn't true. They have different roles.
    Torb has area denial and is best used to try and keep an enemy off the objective.
    Symmetra supports her team by 'denying' flanking, by putting out sentries, their main purpose isn't killing, they slow and can alert you of enemies, as well as they are a sort of 'repellent' you could say. Her teleporter is game changing if you and your team can protect it.

The thing with Symmetra is that a lot of her power is 'invisible', She doesn't usually go on rampages and kill multiple people or heal a person from 1-100 in a second, she provides a different kind of support. She might be harder to play, and depending on what kind of level you're playing at, she can be better or worse. Torb can be hard to counter for newer players, but seasoned players take his turret out easily. Symmetra can be hard to utilize at first, but can be really useful.

She had one of the highest win rates during beta. It really depends on what your team needs, what works for the occasion and what you feel is more to your playstyle. Also, she isn't the best solo support, so try to pair her up with other supports.
    Thanks for the feedback. Also I just found her character to be poking fun at autistic (retarded) people which is pretty controversial on a lot of OW boards but I just find it interesting.

I'll stick to Zarya and Bastion but it's intriguing to know what people here have to say on her.

Deleted
    I generally only take her on defence, and only on some maps AND only sometimes for the first defence point. If the other team are somewhat coordinated, they're going to destroy your teleporter, and if that happens, you may as well be playing lucio. A good Symmetra can definitely do work (I've seen a few pushing really far in with the right team setup), but generally she is only useful in specific situations.

I honestly like this character's whole design and background even if it is making a mockery of something sensitive like autism.
    Literally what? How does Symmetra have ANYTHING to do with autism?

As others have said, she's great in defense and mutual point capture maps.

One needs to learn how to use her turrets. You place them on your flanks and dynamically move them around to counter wherever the enemy is choosing to attack from. You also need to keep in mind the angles of attack and lines of sight. consider where is the enemy going to stand and face you, then place the turret in an obscure angle behind that. Is a flanker annoying you? the turrets will force them away.

Learn to beam dance around tanks. I've learnt how to dance around and even over tanks (d.va is surprisingly easy to hop over) in a confusing manner while maintaining my beam on them constantly. It wrecks them. Laugh at their use of shields and any flanker getting in beam range of you. Sneak around staircases and ledge to drop behind them and beam their healers while they are busy (hollywood).

Symmetra denies scratch damage and reduces the number of strategies your enemies can use. making them more predictable and easier to deal with. She provides enormous enemy awareness through use of her turrets. Enemy shields are meaningless to her, close range fighters are pressured by her. Scratch damage is meaningless to her as most of her life is regenerating shields.

The +25 shield application nerf is something i hope they reverse though. it was unnessary

She's actually really good if paired with another support and can be used to great effect for denying a flank position and protecting a Bastion, Torbjorn, or Widowmaker who is set back kinda deep. Her secondary fire that goes through shields is amazing for bringing an advancing Reinhardt into kill range for a Tracer or Pharah to finish off quicker. Her primary fire damage is no joke especially when you have the other support keeping you healthy through the first few seconds. And her teleporter is absolutely brutal on offense and defense for breaking an enemy position.

That being said if you find yourself getting pushed back consistently then you likely need to switch off because she needs the setup time and without everyone "in position" she isn't likely to be a big impact. She is also the only support that can't actively replenish your hp so if your team doesn't med kit hop then you are going to have a very tough time. I don't ultimately think she is the most difficult character to play its just that you have to recognize which team comps and players fit her abilities best.

7+ Year Old Account
    I play her only on objective point defense maps, and often times switch to someone else after the first point falls. She happens to be my highest win rate hero, though, so something about her works when played in the right situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabka Uhalla View Post
    Her character lore has it suggested she has autism, as she possesses some of the traits linked with it, but as is completely obvious by yours and another reply it doesn't show it at all in game.
    It basically leaves it as her backstory nothing more, but the OP is repeatedly bringing it up to spice up the thread. That's why his first sentence is about that and not the playability of the character at all...

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the feedback. Also I just found her character to be poking fun at autistic (retarded) people which is pretty controversial on a lot of OW boards but I just find it interesting.
    Wait what? I'm autistic, definitely not retarded and Symmetra is definitely not poking fun at autistic people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugz
    Holes means you have less of a food to plate ratio, you can get more net weight of pancakes into the same volume and area as you could with waffles. Therefore pancakes win.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabka Uhalla View Post
    I looked it up and in her comic you can find this quote:

“Sanjay has always said I was… different. Everyone has. Asking where I fit on the spectrum. It used to bother me. Because I knew it was true. It doesn’t bother me anymore. Because I can do things nobody else can do.”

Though, spectrum can mean a lot of different things, perhaps Good/Bad (She frequently questions whether she is doing the right thing or not) or such things. It is also Implied that she has OCD. Though, not much to go on.

Play her on the Egyptian map and put sentries on the right side of defence. Congrats, nobody will ever be able to flank you unless they all come from above and you might as well pick Reinhardt Bastion mercy and mow everything down in the middle because that's the only way.

You can do the same thing on the Japanese map, to some extent on the Russian too.

Deleted
    Symmetra is insane at the start of a defense. The teleport device won me many games and the drones are killers if positionated correctly.
    Even if they don't do insane damage, the drones deal damage constantly and make chaos of enemies that are attacking your teamates.
    The only things that are bad are the second fire of the pistol, it's too slow and does low damage and the shield that's pretty useless.

I play her in defense at first checkpoint. Correctly placed drones serve both as flanking nullifiers and warnings if they're destroyed. Just remeber to place them out of sight and always so they hit people from behind - usuallly a couple of them can melt even tanks pretty fast. Managed to score 17 kills on Anubi - granted it wasn't a really good opponents team.

Her portal is incredibly useful for the first checkpoints. Drops a lot of usefulness if you lose it.

However: Symmetra is very predictable. The more people know maps the more they expect and check for drones, nullifying a lot of your damage. The more people get used to counter them, the less effective it becomes. Keep your drones placed in random spots to diverge attention from the important ones, and play the bait game so people will try to score a kill and follow you into your drones.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.