Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter134 View Post
    I said something along the lines of "It's intellectually dishonest to assume that certain actions are "wrong". Rape, from an atheistic perspective, is just like drinking a glass of water. It's merely an action", and that landed be a suspension on the basis of extreme sexually explicit language.
    Oh, OK. I first thought it was something comparably harmless and just plain dumb, like referring to dominating an oponent as "raping them" or saying how this and that boss "raped" someone.

But that shit you've been spouting there ... you definitely deserve a break from the game. A permanent one, if you ask me. And you gotta watch out with stuff like that, seriously. In real life, in certain places, people get slapped.

Deleted
    Depends on context.

Considering that it was reported, I doubt conversation was friendly. In that context its certainly bannable.

Quote Originally Posted by SoundwaveXI View Post
    See it all the time in PVP, so I doubt it personally...
    Using PvP players as justification is wrong. In PvP you get all kinds of morons who confused WoW with Counter Strike. They behave like 10yo children who just found out a new curse word. But they think its cool, so they don't report each other and get away with it. But it doesn't mean its allowed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Forsworn Knight View Post
    And I thought for a moment, "How does rape even happen on WoW?"
    Well, my mage has this long stick you see....

Quote Originally Posted by Pull My Finger View Post
    Oh, OK. I first thought it was something comparably harmless and just plain dumb, like referring to dominating an oponent as "raping them" or saying how this and that boss "raped" someone.

But that shit you've been spouting there ... you definitely deserve a break from the game. A permanent one, if you ask me. And you gotta watch out with stuff like that, seriously. In real life, in certain places, people get slapped.
    Lmao are you serious? I deserve a break for arguing a point from a philosophical (even logical) perspective? Also, a permanent ban? Not even a 1 minute ban is justifiable. The paragraph in the terms that "supposedly" justifies the suspension, does actually not. It refers to offensive comments, which mine wasn't. Heck, mentioning the word "rape" is not even a violation of the terms of use. The paragraph refers to sexually EXPLICIT language. Saying rape is not sexually explicit.

Lmao are you serious? I deserve a break for arguing a point from a philosophical (even logical) perspective? Also, a permanent ban? Not even a 1 minute ban is justifiable. The paragraph in the terms that "supposedly" justifies the suspension, does actually not. It refers to offensive comments, which mine wasn't. Heck, mentioning the word "rape" is not even a violation of the terms of use. The paragraph refers to sexually EXPLICIT language. Saying rape is not sexually explicit.
    Just stay on the internet dude. That's where you can play the smartass. I'm just telling you, in real life, with people out there, maybe when you get a job once ... keep your crap to yourself. You're gonna get in trouble. Take the temp ban as a preparation training, and learn.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Man, you don't need religion to have morals.
    No, but you need theism for moral universalism. Now stop derailing the thread.

Deleted
    Like the title asked. Is saying the word "rape" in-game a valid reason for a suspension?
    Depends on your context. The game is 12+, so talking about anything openly in-game is a risk if it's a mature subject. Or as it often happens to be, immature.

I sincerely doubt that your ban was unjustly deserved, because you're making an effort of avoiding details about your suspension.

Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    Depends on your context. The game is 12+, so talking about anything openly in-game is a risk if it's a mature subject. Or as it often happens to be, immature.

I sincerely doubt that your ban was unjustly deserved, because you're making an effort of avoiding details about your suspension.
    So dictionaries are unsuitable for people -12 as well? They too contain the word "rape" and plenty of other "bad words". No, just no. Also, avoiding details about my suspension? I stated the exact reason a few posts back.

Deleted
    I said something along the lines of "It's intellectually dishonest to assume that certain actions are "wrong". Rape, from an atheistic perspective, is just like drinking a glass of water. It's merely an action", and that landed be a suspension on the basis of extreme sexually explicit language.

I just don't understand. This stance is held by a wide array of people from all over the world, even esteemed philosophers and scientists. How is it even offensive or sexually explicit language?
    Their judgement is correct.
    This is a PG12 game and what you said is quite inappropriate, to say the least. If you had kept it private, you wouldn't have been punished for it. It's when you say such things in open channels for all to see that it becomes a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    Their judgement is correct.
    This is a PG12 game and what you said is quite inappropriate, to say the least. If you had kept it private, you wouldn't have been punished for it. It's when you say such things in open channels for all to see that it becomes a problem.
    Their judgement isn't correct because it wasn't a sexually explicit comment. Do you even know what explicit means?

Deleted
    Openly discussing an opinion that is widely disagreed with will generally get you in trouble, especially if it's a topic such as rape. I wouldn't go as far as to ban you permanently but I highly doubt all that was said was what you quoted. There was probably a lot more to it which is where it borders less on the topic of rape and more on the person you're talking with feeling harassed or as if they're being trolled, even if you feel like you were doing neither - that is probably more likely the reasoning behind the ban.

I won't express how I feel about your opinion, but another reason could be that the GM checked logs, saw the word "rape" mentioned, noted it was a complaint under harassment and just banned you out right.

You are purposely hiding the rest of the sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtwo View Post
    Openly discussing an opinion that is widely disagreed with will generally get you in trouble, especially if it's a topic such as rape. I wouldn't go as far as to ban you permanently but I highly doubt all that was said was what you quoted. There was probably a lot more to it which is where it borders less on the topic of rape and more on the person you're talking with feeling harassed or as if they're being trolled, even if you feel like you were doing neither - that is probably more likely the reasoning behind the ban.

I won't express how I feel about your opinion, but another reason could be that the GM checked logs, saw the word "rape" mentioned, noted it was a complaint under harassment and just banned you out right.
    Blizzard state the exact reason for the suspension in the email, which was the sentence I previously posted.

Anything could be against wow's terms if used in the wrong context.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    As an Atheist you can work out perfectly fine what makes a decent human being.
    Honestly not even sure what kind of bait the three post account was throwing out there.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would guess yes. I remember back in UO it was a permaban no questions asked.

Deleted
    /bg We are getting raped guys

Depends on the context I would say.

Quote Originally Posted by lokithor View Post
    I remember back in UO it was a permaban no questions asked.
    There goes the theory of us living in this "new" hypersensitive climate where "free speech" is falling prey to "trigger" symptoms and political correctness.

Deleted
    Depends on the context, rape is a dirty word in the real world and a disgusting act, getting raped in a pvp online game goes back to wolfenstein / doom / quake / unreal, nothing new here and certainly not worthy of a ban in my eyes

How about getting fragged? it's a word

Anyone remember t-bagging in the BF series? I do "it's a funny old game"
    Last edited by mmoc82018c8e40; 2016-05-31 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cFortyfive View Post
    Honestly not even sure what kind of bait the three post account was throwing out there.
    Never said atheists can't be decent. It's the definition of "decent" that doesn't work with atheism since right and wrong boils down to opinion. Do you understand now?