Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    When it is people on the other team doing trash talking, I don't care. That can be kind of fun, actually.

When it is someone on my own team who thinks saying something mean to me is going to help win the game, I respond by throwing the game. If they thought I was bad before, just wait until they see me on Zenyatta rushing the front lines over and over while missing all my attacks. I figure by playing as bad as possible maybe I can make them even angrier, and that counts as a win in my books.

So yeah, I respond to toxicity by being even more toxic back. Not with words, though. I don't like to say mean things to people. I will be toxic with actions instead.

Seriously, all the talk about "toxic players" is so laughable. It's basically the "xyz offends me / is offensive" of videogames.
    Having played Counter-Strike for more than eleven years now, I can honestly say that Valve's approach towards it works best for me. Just let people spit all the insults they want, give other people the option to mute/ignore them.
    Are people really close to tears when they get insulted on the internet ? In this thread those "toxic players" are being called "unable to function in society" or "socially incompetent". I mean.. Seriously? Those guys are probably just ordinary human beings, having a bad day and feeling like talking trash to random strangers they will never meet. How can people let that get to them? I mean the whole concept of trashtalk/flaming is just a part of the multiplayer FPS genre. You just have to grasp that an online flame is NEVER to be compared to a face-to-face insult. That's just a different thing. Just get over it. The whole discussion about is is so silly and childish. And banning people for insulting you is like calling your mommy to step up to your bullies. Just grow a pair, god damn.

As for muting chat: it works right now, you can mute match chat and team chat. I'd highly recommend you just laugh about it though. I mean seriously, who cares ?
    Last edited by hyperhyve; 2016-05-31 at 11:11 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hyperhyve View Post
    As for muting chat: it works right now, you can mute match chat and team chat.
    Wait, huh? There's an option for it now? Some stealth patch?

10+ Year Old Account
    Turning voice chat volume all the way down and never reading the chatbox. I play with friends so I don't need to communicate with a random pug or two

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Wait, huh? There's an option for it now? Some stealth patch?
    Took me a time to find it. Press P in match, you will see all the channel you are in and all player in both team. From there, you can mute what you want. I had mute the neutral chat and it did stick with my game session last night, not sure if it will still be on next time I play.

And muting and report is the only way to go. They will always have a other stupid sh!t to tell you.
    MMO-Champion, once the place to get WoW News, now the home of the haters and their clickbait and doomsaying threads

Quote Originally Posted by nihila View Post
    Hey guys,

I always had troubles in dealing with free insults on every game I played. Generally, this is what makes me stop a game (happened for WoW, LoL, Smite, mostly competitive and "big" games where there is a toxic community). It often prevented me from playing competitive modes (like arenas) and I am worried the same will happen for Overwatch.

Even if I mute the player, it is too late. I will remember what he said, even if I know it is not true, at some point in the future. Hopefully, this does not last for weeks and does not happen too often. Am I the only one remembering this kind of things for days?

How do you usually deal with it?

Thanks.
    How do I deal with it? I don't care about it. Don't be so thin skinned. In reality they're a random person you'll never meet, who cares what they think or say?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mask View Post
    When it is people on the other team doing trash talking, I don't care. That can be kind of fun, actually.

When it is someone on my own team who thinks saying something mean to me is going to help win the game, I respond by throwing the game. If they thought I was bad before, just wait until they see me on Zenyatta rushing the front lines over and over while missing all my attacks. I figure by playing as bad as possible maybe I can make them even angrier, and that counts as a win in my books.

So yeah, I respond to toxicity by being even more toxic back. Not with words, though. I don't like to say mean things to people. I will be toxic with actions instead.
    You mean don't play as mei and ice wall your own team???
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Right. You just use the forums for those games. Cos that's what adults do.
    How else would we know he is a respectable adult?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    It has nothing to do with "grow some balls". Some people have literally no power over having the fun ruined in a game because of whiners/ragers.
    I'm still like this some times. No, it didn't "hurt" my feelings that some guy said "kys get cancer fagget", but it did just suck all the fun I was having out of that match.
    Something that helped me a bit is just typing "lol" after everything that gets said (if negative). They either work themselves into a frenzy (hilarious) or they stuff it.
    Either way, win/win.
    No it does have absolutely everything to do with "grow some balls" or your regional equivalent. If you have such a thin skin that some stranger on the internet telling you you suck affects you, life is going to be VERY hard and stressful. Just ignore it or even play around with it. I get in flame wars on the internet all the time because it entertains me. In Overwatch I am not sure how people find the time to type though ... they must be always dead I guess.

It seems cliché to say but what the fuck happened to people for them to be negatively affected by this kind of stuff. I'll do an old man of myself and say that the "everybody is a winner" participation trophy is what does it. It seems to me that at least SOME thickness of the skin is necessary to be a productive member of society, not everything always goes perfectly. Have some resilience people. I can't imagine how the OP lives his life and how he can be useful to society if he get distraught by some person telling him to kill himself in vidya.
    Last edited by Zcion999; 2016-05-31 at 03:21 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    It has nothing to do with "grow some balls". Some people have literally no power over having the fun ruined in a game because of whiners/ragers.
    I'm still like this some times. No, it didn't "hurt" my feelings that some guy said "kys get cancer fagget", but it did just suck all the fun I was having out of that match.
    Something that helped me a bit is just typing "lol" after everything that gets said (if negative). They either work themselves into a frenzy (hilarious) or they stuff it.
    Either way, win/win.
    It really is just simple as that. There are very few people raging and when they do, you just fuel it by getting upset at the inane remarks they are shelling out. Seriously there will be these people on every online game you play. If you haven't realized this by now and found a way to cope with it, then I don't think there is any hope for you. Don't play online games if you aren't prepared to deal with idiots on a daily basis.

I guess I'm a bit older than most here, but I play quick matches with no voice chat enabled and I couldn't care less about what some angry dork has to say about anything. I barely even notice it anymore, and when I do it just isn't something I am able to care about.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Snivena View Post
    I guess I'm a bit older than most here, but I play quick matches with no voice chat enabled and I couldn't care less about what some angry dork has to say about anything. I barely even notice it anymore, and when I do it just isn't something I am able to care about.
    Maybe you should stop playing team based games if you don't give a shit about your team, old timer.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by woozie21 View Post
    Maybe you should stop playing team based games if you don't give a shit about your team, old timer.
    Maybe you should just go and hide somewhere. People like you are the ones who ruin online gaming these days.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've honestly not encountered that much to be honest, games are short enough you can shrug and move on, and the 1 guy who was particularly obnoxious I just blocked and requeued. Even that guy wasn't specifically calling anyone out; I think they just wanted someone else to do whatever it was he was whining about instead of doing it themselves. I normally feel pretty confident enough that I'm doing my job well enough that whatever issue they have, I'm not a part of it regardless of the game.
    Last edited by Jessicka; 2016-05-31 at 03:49 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by izayoi80 View Post
    Maybe you should just go and hide somewhere. People like you are the ones who ruin online gaming these days.
    People like me? What kind of person am I like? Someone that would like to communicate with my team in a TEAM BASED game?
    Shame on me for actually talking to other people in games like League of Legends, Overwatch & World of Warcraft.

Shame on me indeed.

Deleted
    So I start a game, pick Widowmaker as I've been doing for a couple days now, doing just fine with it, picking gold medals and silver medals, as well as wins.

Yeah. There surely is no toxicity.

I just laugh at it. Someone that gets upset cause of a game is rather silly.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zequill View Post
    Took me a time to find it. Press P in match, you will see all the channel you are in and all player in both team. From there, you can mute what you want.
    Right, so just as a visual aid, after pressing "P":

Those chat bubbles with the line through mean muted chats. Amazeballs. Thanks guy!

10+ Year Old Account
    Normally I deal with Toxicity by playing it really loud. It's one of those songs that gives you that nice little rush to push just a little harder.

Ryzen 7 5800X - RX 6900 XT
    Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO - Crucial Ballistix DDR4 32GB 3600Mhz - Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280
    Corsair 4000D Airflow - 1x ASUS 27" VG27AQ - 2x iiyama 24”

Rules of surviving the online gaming:

1. grow a pair of balls.

I wonder if the infamous "no winners allowed, everybody should be a winner" modern shift in education is a main culprit here.

Me personally is old enough to not be a part of that, and guess what, I can just completely ignore toxicity. I fail to understand why you people focus so much on some random shitter's words over internet; and I can't even fathom living one day in your skin in real life, seriously. World must be a very bad place if you are triggered on everything.
    No more time wasted in WoW.. still reading this awesome forum, though

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by l33t View Post
    Rules of surviving the online gaming:

1. grow a pair of balls.

I wonder if the infamous "no winners allowed, everybody should be a winner" modern shift in education is a main culprit here.

Me personally is old enough to not be a part of that, and guess what, I can just completely ignore toxicity. I fail to understand why you people focus so much on some random shitter's words over internet; and I can't even fathom living one day in your skin in real life, seriously. World must be a very bad place if you are triggered on everything.
    Yadda yadda.

After you've listened to random snotnosed little brats and assholes on the internet for 20+ years, you'll find out you really don't want their pointless drivel on your screen. Chat mutes are a must to just shut those little useless fuckers down.