Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    It says to friend the community right there in the addendum paper?
    So whoever drew it up was facebook illiterate. The article describes "liking", as does the thread.
    A facebook search also provides me with their page, which is indeed a community "like" page, not an account which can be added as a friend.

Yeah, that's kind of messed up. Of course, i don't think you could legally make somebody do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    I'm no lawyer but from what I remember from business law is some sort of consideration has to be offered in order to change the terms of a contract.
    I'm no lawyer either, but it seems rather ridiculous for someone to be able to put in some kind of clause that allows them to essentially force the person to sign/ agree to any addendums even if they don't know what they are, and how much that entails or be in breach of the original contract.

Deleted
    This is starting to go viral and someone with landlord experience said it is likely even more sinister than people believe.

He said, it is not simply about "Liking" - you can even see the term "Friend" on Facebook is explicitly used in the addendum. Therefore, this is a way for a landlord to gain extra information about tenants and prospective tenants to determine if they are the "right sort" of tenants and if they conduct their lives in the "right way".

When needed they can use that information to support penalties and evictions, keeping deposits and moving on to the next tenant.

Reminds me of when an app keeps reminding me to rate it, so I finally do, 1 star

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by squeeze View Post
    This is starting to go viral and someone with landlord experience said it is likely even more sinister than people believe.

He said, it is not simply about "Liking" - you can even see the term "Friend" on Facebook is explicitly used in the addendum. Therefore, this is a way for a landlord to gain extra information about tenants and prospective tenants to determine if they are the "right sort" of tenants and if they conduct their lives in the "right way".

When needed they can use that information to support penalties and evictions, keeping deposits and moving on to the next tenant.
    This was my thought as well, not a particularly subtle way of trying to spy and/or catch ones tenants in doing something that could warrant any form of profitable actions.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    This was my thought as well, not a particularly subtle way of trying to spy and/or catch ones tenants in doing something that could warrant any form of profitable actions.
    My landlord could attempt that, but he would be in for the rude awakening that I never post in English on my facebook, so he would have to learn a relatively challenging new language(s). Oh the joys of being a polyglot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    My landlord could attempt that, but he would be in for the rude awakening that I never post in English on my facebook, so he would have to learn a relatively challenging new language(s). Oh the joys of being a polyglot.
    Oh they don't even need to understand text. You having a picture of something that could in anyway be interpreted as damaging to the interior of the apartment or something like that, and they can/will likely use that as an excuse. And seeing as most people aren't well versed in the laws regarding renting and likely couldn't even fund a court case, well easy pickings...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    Oh they don't even need to understand text. You having a picture of something that could in anyway be interpreted as damaging to the interior of the apartment or something like that, and they can/will likely use that as an excuse. And seeing as most people aren't well versed in the laws regarding renting and likely couldn't even fund a court case, well easy pickings...
    Yup, could be something as simple as smoking or trash.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    There is a difference between "like" and "friend". "Like" is just to up their rating. While "friend" might actually have a function, such as providing a convenient way for the landlord to communicate with all the residents.
    If by "communicate" you mean "spy on" then you are correct. Friending someone allows them to see EVERYTHING you've ever done on Facebook unless you set your privacy settings to "self only." At which point you might as well not have an account.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

The marketing twat in our company told us to like and friend the company's facebook site as well, we all heartily laughed in his face.

That aside, in what country can you add something later to the contract and it is actually legal? That is one hell of a crap shot, I'd burn down the house of the fucker that came up with that :P (j/k).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Veredyn View Post
    If by "communicate" you mean "spy on" then you are correct. Friending someone allows them to see EVERYTHING you've ever done on Facebook unless you set your privacy settings to "self only." At which point you might as well not have an account.
    Is friending a community is the same as friending individuals, in this regard? I thought friending community simply meant you had access to all its functions. I barely use Facebook, so I might be wrong here.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Yeah, fuck that. This is utter bullshit. You're the landlord, it doesn't mean you have the right to peer into peoples personal lives on Facebook, or to force your tenants to give potentially good reviews through lots of likes, when otherwise they may not intend to do so.

I'd just move out. Fuck that landlord.

This is really stupid, but in an era where establishments sue people for posting online negative reviews and companies are trying to push more aggressively for control over public policy you can't be surprised at this. I just wouldn't have FB in this case or if it was mandatory would make a throwaway FB and post zero on it. Monitor that, asshole.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

Quote Originally Posted by Renedric View Post
    Sorry don't have facebook or internet. But if you pay for my internet, i wouldn't mind making a facebook account and friending you.
    for not having the internet you sure are posting on a website on the internet somehow. Teach me your ways?
    Quote Originally Posted by blobbydan View Post
    We're all doomed. Let these retards shuffle the chairs on the titanic. They can die in a safe space if they want to... Whatever. What a miserable joke this life is. I can't wait until it's all finally over and I can return to the sweet oblivion of the void.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure how they can enforce this with tenants that are already under a lease. Sounds like a good way to get themselves sued for breech of contract if they try to take action against any tenant that refuses.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    I'm no lawyer either, but it seems rather ridiculous for someone to be able to put in some kind of clause that allows them to essentially force the person to sign/ agree to any addendums even if they don't know what they are, and how much that entails or be in breach of the original contract.
    As someone who did study law for 4 years before I couldn't be arsed anymore, that kind of clause probably would count as an unfair contract term in a court.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by HBpapa View Post
    Not sure how they can enforce this with tenants that are already under a lease. Sounds like a good way to get themselves sued for breech of contract if they try to take action against any tenant that refuses.
    They cannot force this clause to anyone who signed a lease before they gave them the letter. I'm not well versed in US law, but I'm pretty sure the law is similar to UK.

You cannot force someone to like you, it just never works. Well almost never. Google made it work by forcing everyone to use google plus by integrating it with YouTube.

Instead of making changes so people like you, they just force it. Really frustrating.

Deleted
    Now I can't help but to imagine that it is just a really lonely landlord that really just want some Facebook friends, to somewhat relinquish some of his/hers loneliness.

That would be kind of sad

10+ Year Old Account
    If I lived there, I would totally join that community and start posting photoshopped pictures of me tearing down the apartment walls and turning it all in to a giant sex dungeon. Having the opportunity to laugh in the landlord's face would be priceless.

I could repeat the process every 2 weeks with a new theme!