Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ArthurDayne View Post
    Read my reply to Absintheminded, might not be very safe at the citadel, doubt the show will put him in a boring place n him doing nothing but reading...

and a two-year-old girl can beat up Sam, that doesn't make Randyll an awesome sword fighter..
    The show has had him doing nothing for the past season, having them show us the inner workings of the Citadel would be interesting, but I don't think he'll stay there.

And I never said that Randyll Tarly was an awesome sword fighter, I said that "he is a warrior, and one of the finest soldiers in Westeros", now thats a fact in that books, you can check it if you want, but its true. Your the one who got your knickers in a bunch and started saying that he wasn't great, and then when I say that he doesn't need to be great to beat Sam up, your agreeing with me?

Deleted
    When someone says soldier, people assume the guy with a sword in hand that rushes in...I just wanted to point it out he's like Tywin..behind the scenes planner.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    I dunno. Sam knows the value of the sword against the Walkers, and it does no good on Randylls' wall.

Sam may well have not thought the theft through very well, but I'm sure his overall intent was correct.
    Hmmm...yes, he could have thought about it during the whole trip south across the sea, but Randyll's words pushed him over the edge to take action..

Deleted
    When someone says soldier, people assume the guy with a sword in hand that rushes in...I just wanted to point it out he's like Tywin..behind the scenes planner.
    Idiots might assume that about someone saying the word "soldier", if they don't understand the difference between a soldier and berserker.

The only similarity he has to Tywin is that they are both generals, but even Tywin got his sword bloody during the battles he was involved in. And Randyll specifically fights in the Vanguard, right at the front, as mentioned in the books.

Seriously, just stop.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    I dunno. Sam knows the value of the sword against the Walkers, and it does no good on Randylls' wall.

Sam may well have not thought the theft through very well, but I'm sure his overall intent was correct.
    If his intent is for him and Gilly to be hunted down and killed by Tarly soldiers, then yeah his intent was spot on.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    Idiots might assume that about someone saying the word "soldier", if they don't understand the difference between a soldier and berserker.

The only similarity he has to Tywin is that they are both generals, but even Tywin got his sword bloody during the battles he was involved in. And Randyll specifically fights in the Vanguard, right at the front, as mentioned in the books.

Seriously, just stop.
    When the word soldier is used, it's usually at grunts or some fierce fighter like jaimie lannister.

So, would you call Tywin a "soldier"?...

Deleted
    When the word soldier is used, it's usually at grunts or some fierce fighter like jaimie lannister.

So, would you call Tywin a "soldier"?...
    Yes, Tywin fights with his army multiple times, so yes, he is a soldier.

Let me break this down for you, because you don't seem to be grasping the concept. Soldiers fight with discipline and control, they fight as part of a bigger unit, as part of an army. Individual skill means less and being able to follow commands matters far more.

Jaime Lannister is more of a warrior than a soldier, he values his skills 1 on 1, and the Kingsguard will generally have to fight on there own far more than say a soldier in the Lannister army.

The problem we are having here is that you don't understand what the word soldier means. Go and find a dictionary then get back to me.

Deleted
    I think you need to re-read what I wrote, I used the word usually and in that world with its focus on titles n advancement, the word "soldier" is not exactly held in high regard...

Deleted
    I think you need to re-read what I wrote, I used the word usually and in that world with its focus on titles n advancement, the word "soldier" is not exactly held in high regard...
    What are you even talking about?

You asked me if Tywin is a soldier, and I answered yes, because he is.

Seriously, just stop. You don't understand what the word soldier means and your just digging deeper and deeper into ignorance. Your assuming that everyone else is as ignorant as you are about the definition. They aren't and you've made this massive thing about a simple word that you don't understand.

If you want me to throw a bunch of quotes from the book at you where they describe Randyll as a "one of the finest soldiers in Westeros", i'll go and find them.

Deleted
    Let's call it how it is, folks. Sam is a weak coward who a) stayed fat even at the Wall in dismal conditions and b) bases most of his decisions on how they'll help Gilly and her son. His only saving graces are his compassion and small glimpses of bravery in desperate straits. And the only reason he's survived thus far is massive amounts of luck and friends (Jon basically) who took pity on him.

While people harp about his education and reasoning, theft of that blade was a brainfart of epic proportions. I can't see how he can climb out of that hole other than Plot Armor saving his bacon.

Deleted
    Link to the WoW Aeron chapter that GRRM released a few days ago.

Deleted
    So you are down to explaining what the word soldier means, defending the most generic description to one of the best commanders in Westeros, ok sparky the word is all yours, make sweet love to it, yeah!!

Quote Originally Posted by shitngiggles View Post
    Let's call it how it is, folks. Sam is a weak coward who a) stayed fat even at the Wall in dismal conditions and b) bases most of his decisions on how they'll help Gilly and her son. His only saving graces are his compassion and small glimpses of bravery in desperate straits. And the only reason he's survived thus far is massive amounts of luck and friends (Jon basically) who took pity on him.

While people harp about his education and reasoning, theft of that blade was a brainfart of epic proportions. I can't see how he can climb out of that hole other than Plot Armor saving his bacon.
    Sam is the fat kid from Lost, in a nutshell. He'll eventually drink a magic potion, gain immortality beyond what he already has with his massive suit of plot armor and go on to solve ancient mysteries while not shedding a single pound in the process.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

Deleted
    So you are down to explaining what the word soldier means, defending the most generic description to one of the best commanders in Westeros, ok sparky the word is all yours, make sweet love to it, yeah!!
    Well considering that you started this whole debate because you don't understand what the word soldier means, yeah I did try to explain it. The word isn't mine, it has a set definition, one that you don't know. Hang on let me pull these quotes out.

Randyll Tarly is the finest soldier in the realm. A poor Hand for peacetime, but with Tywin dead there's no better man to finish this war.
    Tarly is the real danger. A narrow man, but iron-willed and shrewd, and as good a soldier as the Reach could boast.
    Both about Randyll.

And then this one by Randyll himself.

It takes more than a pretty cloak to charge a shield wall. I was leading Mace Tyrell’s van when you were still sucking on your mother’s teat, Guyard
    It might be an idea to read the books before you decide to argue with someone who has.

Now sit the fuck down and shut up.

Deleted
    Are you for real, son?

I predict zero negative repercussions from taking the sword.

In the books he'd be hunted down and flayed tbh.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Randyll didn't build the castle, so it wouldn't be according to his personality..

You need to see this. (Random youtube bs.)
    I'm always incredibly amused when someone new comes into the thread and tries to educate me on the history of Westeros. Like I haven't read the series multiple times, watched the show, read A World oIaF, and the dunk n Egg stories.

Here's a hint -- Just because someone doesn't build the castle or estate doesn't mean they don't have their preferences imprinted all over it. And has been said before the Tarlys are nobles for certain, and in a rich region; but the Tyrells they ain't.

As for the history of the Tyrells, I'm fully aware of who the Gardners were. You are still telling me nothing I don't know. That doesn't change the fact that the Tyrells are now the most powerful / richest House in the Reach and have been for centuries, with only the Hightowers or maybe the Redwynes close behind. The Florents, Fossoways, Rowans, etc. are old and strong as well. And while they can claim closer kinship to the Gardners, there's zero indication that they are richer or more powerful. Quite the opposite, if they were they'd have asserted that dominance by now.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you for real, son?
    That's your response after he shuts you down?

You came into this trying to educate from on high and really don't seem to actually understand anything you were trying to assert.
    Last edited by Sooba; 2016-05-31 at 09:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sooba View Post
    I'm always incredibly amused when someone new comes into the thread and tries to educate me on the history of Westeros. Like I haven't read the series multiple times, watched the show, read A World oIaF, and the dunk n Egg stories.
    With that kind of background I officially crown you a PhD in Game Of Thrones. You may now act entitled and condescending on internet forums on a whim. And instantly your view points are considered fact and theres no longer the need to discuss anything about the game of throne universe or anything that can be related or spin off from the game of throne universe. Use your knowledge for good child of GRRM.

So do people think Arya will kill the ginger girl from the faceless men, or she will just escape and they will continue their hunt for it into next season?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    With that kind of background I officially crown you a PhD in Game Of Thrones. You may now act entitled and condescending on internet forums on a whim. And instantly your view points are considered fact and theres no longer the need to discuss anything about the game of throne universe or anything that can be related or spin off from the game of throne universe. Use your knowledge for good child of GRRM.
    In fairness Sooba does know a fuckload more about ASOIAF than most people in this thread.

So do people think Arya will kill the ginger girl from the faceless men, or she will just escape and they will continue their hunt for it into next season?
    She'll kill the waif, join the acting troupe, they'll go to Westeros for something or other and Arya will take up Lady Stonehearts role from the books.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shitngiggles View Post

You have completely overlooked the fact that he has displayed considerable behind-the-scenes guile and wisdom as well. Book-Sam was the one who got Jon voted to the LC's position. Book-and-show Sam has managed to keep Jon from being incredibly stupid at least twice that I can think of. He's the one who discovered the dragon glass connection. And while I understand some of you want to go off on how "weak" "fat" or "stupid" he is, you all seem to forget just how high the stakes are that he's playing for. He knows the risk. He's decided he's going to to do it anyway, because that's how desperate Westeros is.

To be clear, I think you're aware of those things. I just think by leaving those out of your analysis that you're going to come up with a distorted picture of what Sam is doing and therefore who he is as well.
    Last edited by Sooba; 2016-05-31 at 09:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post

She'll kill the waif, join the acting troupe, they'll go to Westeros for something or other and Arya will take up Lady Stonehearts role from the books.
    That sounds very likely. Plus if we get more of that Sansa play actress I wont be complaining.