Page 31 of 77 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    I mean, Sapphire are pretty solid. But look at the tacky shit like MSI's newest coolers on GTX 1080. It looks like someone asked a teenager to be especially edgy and make what he thinks is... what's their word for cool now? It looks fucking stupid.
    This is why cases without windows exist :P.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Agreed anything over $300 is mid to high range gaming IMO.

If benchmarks come out good the Rx 480 will be a great low/midrange card that may be able to equal some high in cards.
    Let's be perfectly honest here, is anything more then a $300 ever needed? Of course if you wanna run the absolute best of the best, 1440p or 4k, then you would aim for a higher-end card, but even then, 4k seems to be hit or miss, even with a 1080, which is triple the price of the 480x. I'll go out on a limb and say that 99% of gamers could use this card happily, and maybe replace it in a few years. Until the next gen of cards are out at least and we can smash 4k at any setting you want at a constant 60 or even 144fps.

I have a feeling AMD know this. Instead of shoving something down our throats that marginally better then the previous gen, just putting something out in the mean time to drop the overall cost of PC gaming, get more into it and get more people to upgrade, even if its just a slight upgrade. I see it as a very smart move from AMD, and while we've known for a while that this was their place, I didn't expect them to be $199.

Quote Originally Posted by Moosie View Post
    Let's be perfectly honest here, is anything more then a $300 ever needed? Of course if you wanna run the absolute best of the best, 1440p or 4k, then you would aim for a higher-end card, but even then, 4k seems to be hit or miss, even with a 1080, which is triple the price of the 480x. I'll go out on a limb and say that 99% of gamers could use this card happily, and maybe replace it in a few years. Until the next gen of cards are out at least and we can smash 4k at any setting you want at a constant 60 or even 144fps.

I have a feeling AMD know this. Instead of shoving something down our throats that marginally better then the previous gen, just putting something out in the mean time to drop the overall cost of PC gaming, get more into it and get more people to upgrade, even if its just a slight upgrade. I see it as a very smart move from AMD, and while we've known for a while that this was their place, I didn't expect them to be $199.
    So, they're not trying to directly compete with nvidia at all it seems?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonecloak View Post
    So, they're not trying to directly compete with nvidia at all it seems?
    Yet.

This is Polaris 10, which has always been stated by AMD to be for the mainstream.

Vega 10 and Vega 11 will compete high-end.. hopefully October this year we'll know more.

Deleted
    Powerful low cost hardware is actually what the PC gaming sector needs, the more people with decent systems, should correlate with greater sales, I am sick of poorly made PC games, this is contributed to the high prices of components.

I am hoping this GPU sells like hotcakes, if the mobile variant can keep this level of performance while not throttling and and keeps form factor at a decent size, this is the GPU that can seriously change how well games will be made on the PC side of things.

10+ Year Old Account
    The $199 was a big shock for me too. A R9 390 performance graphics card doesn't need 8Gb, though I'm sure lots of people will justify it. I see an upgrade in my future.

AMD's decision is part opportunistic, and part avoiding Nvidia's trap. One thing AMD keeps pushing is VR. VR this, and VR that. There's money to be made, and the RX 480's are going to capitalize on it. Instead of releasing a high end that's likely to fail against Nvidia due to marketing and driver optimizations, it's a lot smarter to just avoid that mess and go for mid range. Mid range sells a lot more units than high end products.

This will screw with Nvidia hardcore. Nvidia has nothing planned for that price range. The GTX 960, 970, and possibly the 980 are going to be overpriced, unless Nvidia lowers prices dramatically. I really doubt Nvidia's 1060 was meant to perform like a GTX 970, and 980. On top of that, there's nothing for the ~$300 price range. The 1070 is closer to $400 than $300. AMD doesn't have anything in that price range.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thorianrage View Post
    Powerful low cost hardware is actually what the PC gaming sector needs, the more people with decent systems, should correlate with greater sales, I am sick of poorly made PC games, this is contributed to the high prices of components.

I am hoping this GPU sells like hotcakes, if the mobile variant can keep this level of performance while not throttling and and keeps form factor at a decent size, this is the GPU that can seriously change how well games will be made on the PC side of things.
    That's what I'm hoping for. Cause right now a GTX 1070/1080 is overkill cause PC games revolve around PS4 graphics. But if enough people have superior gaming PCs, then game developers may have a change in heart about making PC exclusives. Especially when you consider VR.

Deleted
    Cost of hardware has always been the biggest issue, thats been the reason why console game sales destroy PC game sales not to mention some really badly made ports, I've barely been buying any games due to this, its also partly why I've boycotted Ubisoft entirely thanks to Watchdogs, as long as the high price tag remains which Nvidia seems to increase, we will see more games like that along with batman.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    The $199 was a big shock for me too. A R9 390 performance graphics card doesn't need 8Gb, though I'm sure lots of people will justify it. I see an upgrade in my future.

AMD's decision is part opportunistic, and part avoiding Nvidia's trap. One thing AMD keeps pushing is VR. VR this, and VR that. There's money to be made, and the RX 480's are going to capitalize on it. Instead of releasing a high end that's likely to fail against Nvidia due to marketing and driver optimizations, it's a lot smarter to just avoid that mess and go for mid range. Mid range sells a lot more units than high end products.

This will screw with Nvidia hardcore. Nvidia has nothing planned for that price range. The GTX 960, 970, and possibly the 980 are going to be overpriced, unless Nvidia lowers prices dramatically. I really doubt Nvidia's 1060 was meant to perform like a GTX 970, and 980. On top of that, there's nothing for the ~$300 price range. The 1070 is closer to $400 than $300. AMD doesn't have anything in that price range.

- - - Updated - - -

That's what I'm hoping for. Cause right now a GTX 1070/1080 is overkill cause PC games revolve around PS4 graphics. But if enough people have superior gaming PCs, then game developers may have a change in heart about making PC exclusives. Especially when you consider VR.
    It's not overkill when you factor in resolution.

10+ Year Old Account
    When ~95% of the people playing games on their computers are doing it at 1920x1080 or less I don't really think this is a problem.

Deleted
    A person wanting higher resolution upto 4 K would not be looking at the mainstream segment, people buy their products based on price and the performance they want in the scenario they want.

High end is targetted to me so high resolution is what I am looking at so Big pascal and Vega are on my radar more then this.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorianrage View Post
    A person wanting higher resolution upto 4 K would not be looking at the mainstream segment, people buy their products based on price and the performance they want in the scenario they want.

High end is targetted to me so high resolution is what I am looking at so Big pascal and Vega are on my radar more then this.
    Maybe it's just smoke and mirrors, but it seems like there's quite the demand for the gtx 1080, which would be an enthusiast card no?

Deleted
    Maybe it's just smoke and mirrors, but it seems like there's quite the demand for the gtx 1080, which would be an enthusiast card no?
    It's new and exciting, the supply of these cards is pretty small, giving the illusion of demand. Most people with the money and wanting to upgrade will likely wait till the 1080ti anyway, and the vast majority of the gaming market is waiting for something like the 1070/1060 or now the 480x.

It's new and exciting, the supply of these cards is pretty small, giving the illusion of demand. Most people with the money and wanting to upgrade will likely wait till the 1080ti anyway, and the vast majority of the gaming market is waiting for something like the 1070/1060 or now the 480x.
    Yea, as I suspected. Company wars aside, I am glad AMD provides affordable cards for the masses. The more PC gamer's the better.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The 480x is going to be damn hard to come by for a while when it's released. Get those orders in now, boys and girls.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Resolution is not something people are excited about today. Long ago, new features like shadows and bump mapping was the big driving force to buy a new graphics card. Today a GTX 1080 is just to get 1440p and maybe 4k. Resolutions that matter if you buy a large monitor.

There are things like increasing polygons, texture quality, and even Ray Tracing would be enough to justify a 1080. But since the PS4/XB1 can't do those things well, the best use out of a 1080 is 1440p/4k. That's just half the problem. The other half is the effect needed by the art team to make use of this. Dark Souls 3 looks amazing, when you consider none of the characters having moving mouths. Except maybe for that Blacksmith, but there's another reason for that as the developers had big plans for that character in Dark Souls 1. But so far the complexity of games has increased but the tools haven't really evolved with it.

Deleted
    Today a GTX 1080 is just to get 1440p and maybe 4k.
    Going by the benchmarks i've seen, and they are pretty much the same everywhere i look, the GTX 1080 gets around 40-50fps in a lot of games at 4k, thus missing out on 60fps which is a huge deal breaker for most people. Another reason why these new set of high-end GPUs really don't make much sense.

There will be an 8GB version, probably 229 dollars. https://www.techpowerup.com/223040/a...hed-at-usd-199
    * yet

The 1070 FE is even higher, it is launching at 449 dollars. If the RX 480 8GB is selling for 230 dollars, you could have two of those for the price of one 1070, and two 480s will likely perform better given the performance predictions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Going by the benchmarks i've seen, and they are pretty much the same everywhere i look, the GTX 1080 gets around 40-50fps in a lot of games at 4k, thus missing out on 60fps which is a huge deal breaker for most people. Another reason why these new set of high-end GPUs really don't make much sense.
    I disagree, this is actually a perfect 1440p card with a good headroom for 2-3 years to come. I was waiting for something like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Im 99% sure I'm preordering this for my birthday. Obviously see benchmarks first.
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2016-06-01 at 09:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Im 99% sure I'm preordering this for my birthday.
    As always it's better to wait for the custom designs and go by the reviews and then maybe preorder the custom design you want.